Options

I didn’t see this coming . . .

73Rocks73Rocks Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
edited July 17, 2011 in Weddings
Weddings are not my forte (I do mostly high school sports) but I will fill in when someone is in a pinch. So I agreed to do the wedding of a couple that works with my wife. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I did my homework . . . I went to the agreed “pre wedding shots” location and did my test shots, and I went to the church the day before the wedding, set up my studio lights, and got my settings for the “big” ceremony. <o:p></o:p>
The morning of the wedding it rained, but 15 minutes before the scheduled “pre wedding shoot” the rain quit and it stayed evenly overcast. Great for me . . . no harsh shadows to contend with. Everyone showed up for the pre wedding shoot right on time. I got all the shots the bride and groom wanted. Now off to the church right on schedule.<o:p></o:p>
I got to the church on time, got all my lights set up, and I started shooting all the agreed to shots. I finished all my “pre-ceremony shots” and had my lights packed up and put away with time to spare. Everything is going better than expected .<o:p></o:p>
Then I greet the pastor who is performing the ceremony and he informs me that he does not allow any photographs to be taken on the main floor once the ceremony starts. <o:p></o:p>
As Scooby Doo would say . . . RUH ROO Shaggy!<o:p></o:p>
I have never heard of this one before?<o:p></o:p>
So I am forced to try to shoot the ceremony from the choir balcony about 150 feet from the alter. Even though it was way out my flash range, I still had my Canon 70 – 200mm f2.8 IS with me so I did manage to get some good shots of the critical moments. Not as great as if I would have been right up front on the main floor, but still some good shots considering where I was shooting from.<o:p></o:p>
The main thing is that the bride and groom really loved my choice of “off location pre wedding shots” and the shots in the church . . . AND I made a nice little profit from the shoot.<o:p></o:p>
Two lessons I learned this weekend. <o:p></o:p>
(1) Check with the Pastor/Priest about taking pictures BEFORE the wedding!<o:p></o:p>
(2) Be ready for anything! <o:p></o:p>
Leave a reply if you ever ran into this situation and what did you do to work around it.

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    me either!

(nothing is showing)
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    I wouldn't worry about it.

I actually have a clause in my contract that the b & g should understand that the photos may be limited or restricted due to rules of the officiant and venue. Also it is their responsibility to speak to the officiant ahead of time and find out if there are any. I also speak to the officiant before every ceremony to double check... which is a good thing. I had one 2 weeks ago that the bride & groom had assured me that their officiant was flexible and great with whatever, and then when I spoke with him about 10 minutes before the ceremony he completely changed his restrictions to "shoot from the back, & don't move". It happens. It is fine. Don't stress about it.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    Yeah...I've run into it quite a bit where I used to live. And the MOST interesting and important part is, the B&G had no idea that photos, photos w/o flash, etc were not allowed. That part I found strange. It's as if they never thought of talking to the officiant.

oh, and work around: Lemonade, right?
    tom wise
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    Quite common actually. None of us like it. Here is how I address it in my std contract.
    All photography at ceremony location, reception location and off-site locations are subject to rules set in place by the officiate or management of such venue. Any such rules limiting the use of flash, or the Photographer’s movement throughout the venue may result in lack of coverage or poor coverage throughout that part of the event. Any fees for site use are to be paid by the Client.
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2011
    Thanks!
    Thanks for the input Grinners . . . I will use your advice the next time I am asked to "fill in" at a wedding.

Like I said, this has never happened to me before nor have I ever witnessed it happening to another photographer.
  • Options
    donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    I've always spoken with the official prior to the service and never had any objections until I second shot a wedding with a local photographer I've done some portrait work with. She is extremely good at always saying it like it is. Her response was that the bride and groom were paying her, not the minister. My guess is that the minister also realized the bride and groom were paying her and possibly tipping. She (the official) changed her tune very quickly and we had free reign just as the bride and groom wanted. This was an outdoor wedding at a golf course, so there were no official regulations set by a church. I think the important lesson is to remember that this is the Bride and Grooms day. They are footing the bill, and they have more power to affect the policies of those who really don't understand the important role the photographer plays in the day.

I also primarily shoot HS sports, but really enjoy doing the few weddings I get.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    Happened to me heaps of times. Never really worried me. If the Priest says you can't shoot from there, what you or the clients going to do, argue with him?
    I Often just stand in the Aisel anyway and shoot and just ask the priest to get them to turn to one another so everyone can see the exchange of the rings etc and they are fine with that if they don't do it already.
    Realisticaly the church service is lucky to go 3-4 pages in my albums anyway and the rest is the park/ "official" shots and it's never like I need more shots to pad the album out.

I was doing Video for a friend once, I went into the church, plugged in my light and got ready. The bride is about to come up the aisle and the priest steps right in front of the camera and asked me who gave me permission to use " his" electricity. More than a little taken aback, I said that I'm sure the B&G more than covered in it the fees they paid to be married there.
    Clearly not being the answer he was looking for he said he didn't think he should let me film the ceremony. I took the camera off my shoulder and said really? Ok then, I'll just go sit in the car and wait. Not my wedding, I don't care if They have the ceremony on thier video or not, I have already been paid.

With that the backflip came thick and fast trying to restore so fear factor and intimidation and he said he'd let me this time but if I didn't ask next time he wouldn't be so forgiving. I almost laughed out loud.

The thing I have found is that a lot of priests have these rules because they have had to deal with numerous idiot shooters before that have crossed the line and done what they should have known better not to think of.
    I know I have seen shooters do that I would not believe had I not witnessed it with my own eyes. I remember one clown at a wedding before me doing some things that I think the priest showed divine restraint in not punching the guy in the nose!

I have also found that if you talk to the priests and ask for a compronmise or permission for something else and let them see you are respectful and not going to annoy them or upset their service they will be flexible.

I know if I were a priest i'd have a list of do's and don't that would be very comprehensive.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    This is a bit funny to me. Priests, ministers, pastors, rabbis, immams, whatever, are all about control. They are so used to controlling their congregants' lives and thoughts, they just can't bring themselves to give it up. They are also pretty accustomed to being deferred to. If you politely but firmly point out to them that they are getting ready to screw up something that the B&G paid for and expect, they'll have to make a quick decision. As pointed out in a previous post, they'll often back down.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    ^^
    Worked every time so far (but I did have to talk to a man as such not during wedding, but christening and some other religious thing).

But I have a low tolerance for these people anyway..
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    pickerbwpickerbw Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    Maybe I'm taking a different view of this because I'm not a photographer, but there was no flash allowed at my wedding and the photographer had to take pictures from the back or balcony as well. The church was very up front about this, and it didn't bother me or my wife. You need to remember that marriage is a sacred religious ceremony. I understand it may be inconvenient to be limited, but you should respect the wishes of the church where the ceremony is being performed (and sometimes the people getting married need to be reminded of that as well).
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,946 moderator
    edited July 1, 2011
    Our daughter was married last November in a cathedral where lots of weddings are held. It was our responsibility to get a copy of the cathedral's policy regarding photography to the photographer and get it signed beforehand. This seemed to be a good way to avoid last minute hassles, and the photographer was able to plan her shots with the restrictions in mind. Her photos were superb despite the limitations on flash photography during the ceremony, etc.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    I wouldn't worry about it.

I actually have a clause in my contract that the b & g should understand that the photos may be limited or restricted due to rules of the officiant and venue. Also it is their responsibility to speak to the officiant ahead of time and find out if there are any. I also speak to the officiant before every ceremony to double check... which is a good thing.

Ditto....

AND....

Restrictions such as you encountered are not all that uncommon.thumb.gif

..and flash use during a ceremony is pretty distracting.....and often is disallowed.
  • Options
    Steinhaus PhotographySteinhaus Photography Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 7, 2011
    I've learned that along the way too. Always have backup plans. Great idea of shooting from the balcony. The shots were unique, I'm sure! www.SteinhausPhotography.com
  • Options
    Steinhaus PhotographySteinhaus Photography Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 7, 2011
    I also have a lens that allows me to shoot from a distance. I really don't want to be in view of the guests or Bridal Party.
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    I second shot a Catholic wedding where I personally didn't get to speak with the priest due to time restrictions. The bridal party were running late from the bride's home. By the time we got to the church, it was go time. The primary didn't get to talk to him either. So the videographer told us where she was going to stand on the left side of the church. Anyway, the primary wandered to the far left side at one point and the priest stopped the proceedings and told her she was not allowed to be there. I was kneeling down, but at one point I moved a foot to the right to get a view without this huge flower stand all over my viewfinder. Yep, the priest once again stopped and told me not to be there. Apparently and i figured this out after the fact, during different parts of the ceremony, we were allowed a few feet left and right of where we were standing. Just not at the times when we actually moved there. Apparently.

We weren't at the altar by the way. To the left of us were some chairs where the some choir singers were seated, and the videographer said she was told thats the best spot for pictures. But that was where the primary got told off. Maybe it was because she moved at the wrong time during the ceremony. To the right of us were empty pews. The guests were all in the middle pews and we were in the left of the semi circle, not in anyone's way at all. But rules are rules and we should have been told better or found out for ourselves. Taught me to be better at finding out the policy, though. I normally talk to the officiant or priest, but this time it just was not possible for me. But still.
    It was pretty ironic though. I was telling the videographer (who was really offhand about it when she was telling us where to stand) how careful we had to be bc catholic churches are really strict, to which she responded, "I won't worry about it. If they really want to enforce it they would have made a point to tell you." I was thinking, "ummm." lol, lucky for her she had a good spot she could stick to. I was working around her and the flower pot.
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    I don't ever get on the alter but I want to see faces so I move on the sides and rear corners a lot. If I can't do that, I get 100 pictures of their back with the pastor in front of them and a couple profiles of ring and kiss. that is in no way what I want to deliver! I won't argue but I ask twice for sure. I can't believe some here don't seem to care?!

i-XzvXqVN-M.jpg

i-hZfZj5d-M.jpg

583744126_BLt8S-M.jpg

1220585124_DM3b5-M.jpg

903831365_ACug9-M-1.jpg

903848806_Zy2Gq-M-1.jpg

There is a LOT that you miss if you aren't on the side isles and moving around the church. This is what people pay us for. Sure the formals are where we knock our clients over. and the family and the stupid little flower toss and all are important too, but little emotions and memories and uniqueness during the actual wedding will be cherished most I think! If all photographers were courteous when they did move, we probably wouldn't often get questioned. It's a few bad eggs I think.
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2011
    Thanks again!
    Thanks again everyone for your input . . . I have learned a lot from this thread!

Here are a few shots from the "big day":

020E-L.jpg

017E-L.jpg

044E-L.jpg

199E-L.jpg

218E-L.jpg

252-L.jpg

These images are not cropped for effect so yes, there is some "dead space" in them.

All in all I am satisfied and the bride and groom loved the pictures so all ended well. As an added bonus on top of a nice little check for "filling in" that Saturday I already have two more weddings on the books for next summer.

I am looking forward to the challenges that they will also bring.

Again, thanks everyone for all the help!