Options

Michelle - Various Looks

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited July 23, 2011 in People
From a shoot last month with Michelle, an interesting combination of Italian/Native American. She aced some very different concepts all on the same day. There are also tow outrageous bikini sets that I'll post separately.

As always, Click the first image for her full gallery.

1. Native look
p808918012-4.jpg

p888206531-4.jpg

3. Most Guys Agreeicon_wink.gif
p671259694-4.jpg

4. Before the Club
p976885725-4.jpg

5. APRES Club
p34875144-4.jpg

6. That Last Drink Did it
p870561098-4.jpg
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    John Galt,

I have been looking at your posts for a long time. This post is not neccessarily about the images in this post but in general. You have access to some BEAUTIFUL women! It makes me jealous! where do you get all these girls?

Anyway I want to tread lightly here because this may come across as unasked for criticism..1st of all your images are no doubt sound images, they are in focus, exposed decently, processed decently, and posing is generally okay. But nothing ever makes me go WOW! There is SO much potential with these gorgeous women! I am waiting for your the post that really gives some dramatic lighting or processing or some wide angle with your subject posed with a beautiful background. etc something that floors me. I always look.. but it just seems I get the same in focus, decently exposed, decently processed images. It's like having a sirloin steak all the time..good stuff..but where is the filet mignon? It appears to me that you have the photo chops to do it!

Oh well, flame away. I realize this is a bit out of sorts.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2011
    Qarik,

You'll get no flames from me and I would hope from anyone else. The criticism is valid from the standpoint of photography as an art form and is obviously sincere. Lemme splain sumting.

When I was a musician, I would tell people I was not an artist. I was a technician. I could listen to a song twice and play it note for note BUT it would never occur to me to write the song.

As a photographer it's much the same. I do not have a particularly artistic eye. I have a decent feel for natural light, an in depth knowledge of my equipment, a decent way of getting models to relax and a fair idea of what a model or her agency want in a commercial portfolio. My stuff is on several comp cards and agency web ports and even two print look books. That's about as good as it's ever gonna get for my hobbyist skills. Again, you're looking for an artist and what you got is a technician.

With that said, I'm pretty satisfied to be where I am, limited as that may be. After all, the girls ARE quite beautiful and they ask me to take their picture. I could do a lot worse. mwink.gif

This isn't Michelle but Alina is about as dramatic as I get. See if this goes WOW for you. If not, I just may not be that guy.

p212090024-3.jpg

Thanks again for your comments.
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • Options
    briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    Wow, two very honest, thoughtful comments. That's what I love about this website, there's always much to learn, not just about photography.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • Options
    Alex81Alex81 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    Qarik,

You'll get no flames from me and I would hope from anyone else. The criticism is valid from the standpoint of photography as an art form and is obviously sincere. Lemme splain sumting.

When I was a musician, I would tell people I was not an artist. I was a technician. I could listen to a song twice and play it note for note BUT it would never occur to me to write the song.

As a photographer it's much the same. I do not have a particularly artistic eye. I have a decent feel for natural light, an in depth knowledge of my equipment, a decent way of getting models to relax and a fair idea of what a model or her agency want in a commercial portfolio. My stuff is on several comp cards and agency web ports and even two print look books. That's about as good as it's ever gonna get for my hobbyist skills. Again, you're looking for an artist and what you got is a technician.

With that said, I'm pretty satisfied to be where I am, limited as that may be. After all, the girls ARE quite beautiful and they ask me to take their picture. I could do a lot worse. mwink.gif

This isn't Michelle but Alina is about as dramatic as I get. See if this goes WOW for you. If not, I just may not be that guy.

p212090024-3.jpg

Thanks again for your comments.

I WOW'd with this pic, although I do wish you didn't cut her hands at the bottom. Still one of the best "model" pic I've seen here.

As for the photos that started this thread, not a fan. Number 3 is the only one that caught my interest but as mentioned, it could've and should've been better.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2011
    Thanks Alex. We can be droogs now.mwink.gif

A question though. What, in your opinion, would make # 3 "better"? I'll always listen.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    John, as a technician you've got it. I think your posing issues are that you are a guy and tend to pose ladies as a guy thinks they should look. Unfortunately ladies think wayyyyy different. That lesson was taught to me by a lady once and I think she hit the nail on the head. Try to investigate some lady photographers websites and build a "want to do file" then pick some from there and then even modify to you likes. Please keep posting because I do get ideas from you.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2011
    #3 just has too many areas detracting from her. Bright foreground, bright mid road area, very bright sign, bright left area of photo and her right arm is distorted in that pose. Too many vertical lines pointing the viewer to look up not over. Dont' forget that bright areas come to your eye first and the darker areas recede. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2011
    Charles, thank you A TON for both sets of comments. You make a really interesting point about my "guy's perspective" in directing of the models. I'll definitely go looking for some women commercial photographers.thumb.gif

AS for # 3, you're correct in everything you say BUT this shot was an attempt to use the sign as humor and we couldn't exactly dig it up and move it. It's one of those "take what you get" settings.

Perhaps a different crop would be more pleasing. I didn't post it because I don't like her expression all that much.
    See what you think.

p913352960-4.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2011
    Better yes and like her arm much better. Like you said it is one of those "you get what you got shots." As long as it fills the purpose it is fine.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    John, as a technician you've got it. I think your posing issues are that you are a guy and tend to pose ladies as a guy thinks they should look. Unfortunately ladies think wayyyyy different.

I saw this thread late last yesterday and was thinking all evening of how to say what I wanted, and Charles has NAILED it. I don't think it's only a case of "talk to women photographers about how to pose" - although of course that kind of technical assistance can be invaluable - but I think it may run a little deeper than that so, in the spirit of constructive honesty which makes up this thread (bravi tutti!) I offer my opinion as a woman....

Given that most of your images are a bit sultry in mood, I think it's a fair question to ask: what makes "sexy"? It's not "pushing breasts together with arms" or "arching back", or "pouting", or "torn clothing". While those can be provocative/attractive - and let's face it, these are styles and techniques which are regularly used to float mens' boats - "sexy" is LOADS more than that. You do have very beautiful models to work with, but to bring out their very best, that can't just be "pretty girls with great bodies". They're WOMEN. What makes each of one them tick? What makes her smile? What look does she get in her eyes which makes you think naughty thoughts and have to refocus your mind on the shoot at hand?

I'm NOT suggesting that you need to be inappropriate or in some other way adopt a kind of "method acting" sexy, but I think the photographers who elicit the most out of their subjects also tend to keep the energy and dialog going so that a personality shines through (no matter what the poses); sure, as the photographer you're in charge, but even when a subject needs a lot of guidance, there can still be an internal spirit of "collabaration" from the photographer, and I think when there's that, you'll start to see more of the "WOW".

Thanks to John for taking the comments in the spirit they were meant and allowing this kind off valuable discussion thumb.gif

ETA: It's interesting that you don't like the expression in 9, the repost -that's actually the one where I felt like I was seeing a bit of personality shining through.
  • Options
    Alex81Alex81 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    Thanks Alex. We can be droogs now.mwink.gif

A question though. What, in your opinion, would make # 3 "better"? I'll always listen.

These are my two cents and could be very wrong.

If I had been in the same setting I would've looked for something for her to stand on so that her head isn't under the arrow, and would've taken the shot from the left hand side, standing almost next to the sign.

The sign and humour would still be there, but the lines would draw your attention to the model instead of to the sign.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2011
    DivaMum - your comments are the WOW in this thread.thumb.gif In retrospect, I like her expression more than I did originally.

Now I have a favor to ask you. Go take a look at the entire gallery (http:bilsen.zenfolio.com/michellep) and see if you find the expressions and personality you are discussing. Michelle and I had a great time throughout the day and I'd be curious if that comes through to you. Maybe I just picked the wrong frames to post??

Alex - Thanks for the clarification. You may very well be correct. Now go see her bikini thread posted this AM and see what you think.
  • Options
    TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    This thread is great, what a great forum we have here :-)
    Canon Fan
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    p212090024-3.jpg

Okay this is verging on very good here! nice capture
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    I agree, I love the above shot.
    Canon Fan
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    Hack and Diva make very good points. I do think that a person has to keep the end user in mind though. If the purpose of a shoot is to produce images that will appeal to 18 to 40 year old men, I would think that the poses would and should be different than if the images are directed to the 25 to 40 year old female crowd.

My personal opinions of the images:

I really don't care much for number 1. The pose coupled with the pattern in the dress makes here body/shoulders look really broad.

2. The pose makes her bottom look um, well, unappealing.

4 and 5 are nice. (fingers bother me a bit, but just a bit)

5. Makes this red blooded American's blood boil. Mission accomplished! (if that was indeed the intent)
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2011
    Thanks Bryce,

I see your point on #1 but I'm drawn to the eyes and hair (which is normal for me).

#2 I suspect you are correct.eek7.gif

#5 (& 6) were concept shots for exactly what they say. I guess any reaction is good but "Blood Boil?" Por Que??ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    divmedic4divmedic4 Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    Thanks to John for starting this thread and for the commentors showing just what a safe and fantastic site this is to post on and learn from.
    Canon 7D, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, EF 50 1.8 II, 430EXII

Tom
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    I guess any reaction is good but "Blood Boil?" Por Que??ne_nau.gif

Silly me. Boiling blood means different things to different people. It may have been better if I had said that I find #6 somewhat erotic.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    If the purpose of a shoot is to produce images that will appeal to 18 to 40 year old men, I would think that the poses would and should be different than if the images are directed to the 25 to 40 year old female crowd.

Absolutely agree on that - which is why we have both "glamour" and "fashion" photography often using similar models (and styling) to achieve different effects through different approaches taken by the photographers!

Coupla questions, John:

1. Purpose of shoot?
    2. If for her portfolio, what market is she aiming for (glamour, fashion, commercial, actress....?)
    3. How old is this young lady?
    3. Do you use a stylist?
    4. Do you use a makeup artist?

I have been browsing the gallery. The ones up against the house might have worked with fewer background distractions, but the windows and doorlines are dealbreakers for me unless they're blurred out more - I definitely think you can use the bokeh of your longer lens to your advantage! If you have the space to back up and are comfortable working a little further away from the model .... why not? :D

From the remainder of the shoot, the ones that jumped out at *me* as seeming to come more from "within" rather than simply because she's wearing "sexy" clothes or has a good body to begin with are:

35 (her hands are awkward and I would clone out the locks/seams on the door, but there's something very appealing about this one to me)
    39 (maybe - and again cropping out the distractions on the door itself)
    51 (I like the expression, although not the pose)
    62 (for sultry, although the wide angle has enlarged her near-camera foot)
    85 (has something going on, even though the placement of her leg might be awkward to some)
    92 (I like this as much as the submerged one, although I'd probably crop and/or clone everything under the water)

Take all with a grain of salt, but since you asked.... :Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2011
    Silly me. Boiling blood means different things to different people. It may have been better if I had said that I find #6 somewhat erotic.

AHHH silly me. In NY that means REALLY pissed off. However, with the clarification I agree totally Bryce.:D

DIva Mum it's 12:30 AM and I'm going to bed. Will look at ALL your comments in the AM but thank you in advance.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2011
    Thanks DivaMum

To answer the questions. Almost all my shoots are TFCD portfolio shoots so it's really up to the model for what she wants/needs. Final wardrobe is always her call. Most of them are commercial or actresses since almost none have the stats for fashion or runway (except Danielle, Agata and Monika).

Michelle is 21 years old. Primarily trying to be an actress but wants a modeling port also. That's why we did so many different sets.

I rarely have an MUA or Stylist.

I also appreciate your going thru the galleries and the comments. Specifically regarding #85, that cross leg pose is one of my personal favorites.

Thanks again.clap.gif