Options

DSS #81 - More Shots from Hawaii

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,946 moderator
edited July 26, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Lots of photo ops but limitations on post-processing during the time frame of this challenge. I'm wondering whether you think any of these shots are a good fit for this challenge? The subject matter and style are "all over the place" as I continue experimenting with iPad apps (mostly Snapseed) and wander around the Big Island and Maui. These are relatively small jpeg files as I will have to process the Raw files back home, but I can take another stab at processing a couple of images if they seem like good possibilities.

1. Sunset Sail (processed with Snapseed)
i-Ht9nW4j-L.jpg

2. Going with the Wind
i-RhbLBWx-L.jpg

3. Wired
i-vJCNCzc-L.jpg

4. Nenes on Mount Haleakala
i-jZFdCp5-L.jpg

5. Koi
i-PfcPGLC-L.jpg

6a. "If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there Your hand shall lead me" (Psalm 139:9,10)
i-WGCXjkC-L.jpg

6b. "If I take the wings of the morning..". (processed with Snapseed)
i-h2V3PFq-L.jpg

6c. "If I take the wings of the morning..."
i-F3DRW8r-L.jpg

7. Independent Play
i-4vLRtWF-L.jpg

8. Francolin Family
i-MRNJDFS-L.jpg

9. Where East and West [Maui] Meet
i-VhZtWg5-L.jpg

10. Family of Feral Goats on the Big Island
i-vpj6fKn-L.jpg

Would be great to have input on these. It's hard for me to evaluate them on a tiny netbook screen and almost everything looks good on the iPad.

Thanks,
Gretchen

P.S. I am not an early morning person but was up for the sunrise the two days we stayed on the east coast of Maui. Too good an opportunity to miss!

Comments

• Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    I like #1 and #2 the best.
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    I think as far as the theme being seen/felt, my favorites are 10, 8 and 2...in that order. You got some great shots, I've never gone to Hawaii, hope the weather has been nice for you, looks like some great photo ops!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    powderpowder Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    I think #2 fits the theme...with being connected with the wind. Love the blue coloring. Was wondering if you were playing this round :)
  • Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    I also think #2 is a great shot and perfect for the theme.
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    For me, #10 shouts the theme the loudest.....body positions suggest connection; lighting seems to connect them with their surroundings and the optical (or perhaps) real illusion that their horns are intertwined give this a nice feel for the theme.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2011
    Thank you all for your input on these shots. Karin, the weather has been lovely here and all is going well. I will probably enter #2 in the gallery but will be interested to see if I get further input on these. Shot #2 was taken at the north end of Maui from the top of a cliff on a windy day. It was a very good thing that I had the polarizer with me.

My husband is very good at spotting wildlife and then finding a place to let me jump out and get some photographs. The francolins and nenes were seen on the slopes of Mount Haleakala. Karin and Chris, the feral goats tried to cross the road in front of our car on the Big Island and lept back when they saw us. We pulled off the road and I stood behind the car, hoping they would cross but they were willing to wait longer than we were. I do like this shot but it is a bit trickier to process with limited photo editing software.

As a tangent, it looks like Snapseed keeps the exif data from the Canon 7d if it is the only iPad app I use on a photo. If I go to sharpen it with Photoshop Express, it disappears. It shows the date taken and date modified as identical but at least the date taken is accurate. Shot #2 was processed with both apps so I will be linking to the exif data of the same image edited only with Snapseed.

Thanks again,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif #10 caught my eye, agreeing with Chris's assessment. I also just love it as an image...it has the look of an illustration. GP
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2011
    I like more 6a and 10 :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2011
    Photo-fantasia, thanks for your input on these. As it happens, we saw Lindbergh's grave in the Hana area of Maui, and he chose to have Psalm 139 on the marker at his grave.

Sounds like #2 and #10 are both good options. Will have to figure out which to enter...

Gretchen
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2011
    Personally I prefer 8 or 10 as strongest for the theme. They're all interesting shots with cool processing though. Looks like you're having fun with that iPad!
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2011
    Dave, thanks for your input on these. Appreciate it. I am having fun using iPad apps for processing. I hadn't heard of Snapseed until Billseye mentioned it, but I can see why he likes it so much!
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2011
    Thank you all for your thoughtful input. The detailed input on why folks like #10 was very helpful and was just the kind of C & C that I hoped to get! In the end, I went with #2 as a stronger shot in itself and because I felt that I connected with the theme on several levels.

The kite surfer (kite boarder) is connected to the kite, standing on the board and immersed in the beauty and power of nature. He was skimming over the water faster than anyone else we saw during our two weeks in Hawaii. On the other hand, he is alone in this environment. There weren't any other people visible on the beach or on the water. He is harnessing the wind but is not part of this natural environment. He is separate from the land. And he is participating in an individual sport (unlike those seen rowing an outrigger canoe another time).

That being said, I did work on some new edits of number 10 to keep that option open and then wasn't able to transfer them from the iPad to smug mug (with the photosync app or other ways) because of slow internet connections. So it made the decision a tad easier.

Many thanks,
    Gretchen