Options

Getting the word out

hudakorehudakore Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited August 13, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
Well, I think I'm pretty well set up with my galleries, etc. Now I'd like to know how to get links to them through Facebook, Twitter, etc. Is there an easy explanation on how to do this?
www.omnimagesonline.com (SmugMug)
www.123rf.com/portfolio/hudakore/1.html (stock photos)
www.hilmasimages.com

Nothing is what it seems nor is it otherwise.

Comments

• Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    Well here's a quick tip. FIRST put a link to your facebook, your galleries in your signature. That's a start because you don't have that.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2011
    Well here's a quick tip. FIRST put a link to your facebook, your galleries in your signature. That's a start because you don't have that.

Thank for your answer, Mark. Are you saying I should advertise on FB (costs money) or set a link to SmugMug from there? Can I do the same thing with Twitter and YouTube? I haven't a clue on
    to how to do it.
    Hilma A.
    www.hilmasimages.com

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    hudakore wrote: »
    Thank for your answer, Mark. Are you saying I should advertise on FB (costs money) or set a link to SmugMug from there? Can I do the same thing with Twitter and YouTube? I haven't a clue on
    to how to do it.
    Hilma A.

No. Add your website link to everything; your FB account, forum signatures etc. All free.
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    to how to do it.
    Hilma A.
    I think he means to just add links to facebook and twitter in your sig, look at his
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2011
    to how to do it.
    Hilma A.

Im actually saying in your signature. Post your facebook. Put it everywhere. the more people see you the better off. checkout my sites for some ideas

www.facebook.com/markdickinsonphoto
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mark-n-Lindsay-Destination-Wedding-Photographers/131474326928762
    www.mdpstore.com
    http://www.lindsaynmark.com/
    www.suchsweetlove.com
    www.markdickinsonphotography.com/blog

Wheewww. thats a lot, thats about 1/200th of what I have available. So do you see where it says, click clikc boom, then my facebook link. Thats where you need to start since I can't even find your page to like it in here.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2011
    May I ask whether you have gotten any business from all your socializing? I'm 74 and would just love to sell some of my work before I'm no longer around to collect the money. (Laughing.gif)
    www.hilmasimages.com

• Options
    edited August 12, 2011
    I am thinking I read that wrong when I had two windows open.... To get links to "them" through facebook (galleries--> copy link url) with a right click copy link. If you want your gallery to show your facebook. Check out the customization thread here to add a facebook link to your page or photos:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=194593

This facebook ap works: http://www.facebook.com/smugmugtab

If you were looking on how to spread your photos around, heres some ways to SEO market yourself In my opinion

Then, set up a blog.... Start your blog at www.wordpress.com or even

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/

Then your last event... write about it. for instance if it were a family shoot....

Congrats to The Smith Family! What a beautiful setting for a family shoot in Daytona Beach.

Content:

<Photo> with tags
    The smith family lives in Orlando, and came to Daytona Beach for a family shoot ont he beach|Mountains|ocean|River|ETC. The family of four wanted (keyword) family photos
    We chose the (specific generally searched name) location for their setting............... MORE CONTENT.................. They love taking pics themselves.....

End it with... something like this: Want more info? I am a photographer in Daytona Beach available for family portraits

NOW you have location, photo, pics, portraits Daytona, family, photographer etc.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2011
    May I ask whether you have gotten any business from all your socializing? I'm 74 and would just love to sell some of my work before I'm no longer around to collect the money. (Laughing.gif)

ahh! I understand now. Well yes in order for someone to find you they have to know you have it available. So yes socializing would be the best way to spread it, but if you dont have the time to do that, then you will have to keyword your photos.

If you have good stock photos, try stock photography websites where you can sell your photos (less money)

Google search for stock photography sites

you can try that also but it is selling digital copies. What is your smugmug link? Ill give you a tut on how to add your links to your signature.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2011
    Ok I found your gallery I <3 your landscapes!!! http://www.omnimagesonline.com/Landscapes

While I found this I had to hunt it on your profile so add the links to your signature. Also On your settings in smugmug, reduce your size down to Large or 2xLarge so that people cant open your pics up in original (its useless on most people computers to see it in ORIGINAL OR 3xl

Also turn off (easy sharing if you dont want this): http://www.omnimagesonline.com/People/Native-Americans/i-MhVPNJg/2/X3/IMG1736-Maheenganini-X3.jpg to happen.

Anyhow, you do really well on keywording. Add some descriptions in the link and make sure ' SMUGISLANDS, Hello world YES and Hello Smuggers YES. This way you are findable. That should be a start. The way to sell to clients is restrict their access to them so posting to facebook is a BAD IDEA! They will use it as a profile pic and thats all they will need it for. I suggest to get them to your page and see if you can sell that way.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2011
    Oh, this is great. My URL is: www.omnimagesonline.com

As far as stock agencies, I've been doing that since 2007 but I'm tired of the middleman. I usually get just 32-35 cents for each photo and it takes months to get my minimum amount of sales (usually $100) to get the money. You might want to check out my best stock outfit for acceptance of my images and sales. Check www.123rf.com/portfolio/hudakore/1.html.

Your help and patience is very appreciated.
    www.hilmasimages.com

• Options
    edited August 12, 2011
    Vwery nice! all of those things before that were off topic will help too but I understand about the stock sites. It is just so hard to sell prints to randoms vs. paid clients for me anyway.!:)
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited August 12, 2011
    I just went into a couple of your galleries and saw that you have originals enabled. Are you aware that right click protection is not protection at all? It's a small stumbling block on the way to grabbing your images for free. Yes, I know, you have your photos watermarked - but the watermark is not on the originals.

See ORIGINALS = a gateway to free photos, & right click protection is NOT PROTECTION.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2011
    1. While I found this I had to hunt it on your profile so add the links to your signature. Also On your settings in smugmug, reduce your size down to Large or 2xLarge so that people cant open your pics up in original (its useless on most people computers to see it in ORIGINAL OR 3xl

Hello Mark. You write "...so add the links to your signature.." What/where is this signature? In SmugMug somewhere? I have it on my email stationery, should it be somewhere else?

2. Also turn off (easy sharing if you dont want this): http://www.omnimagesonline.com/People/Native-Americans/i-MhVPNJg/2/X3/IMG1736-Maheenganini-X3.jpg to happen.

Is easy sharing not good?

3. Anyhow, you do really well on keywording. Add some descriptions in the link and make sure ' SMUGISLANDS, Hello world YES and Hello Smuggers YES. This way you are findable. That should be a start.

I think this is all set. I will check.

The way to sell to clients is restrict their access to them so posting to facebook is a BAD IDEA! They will use it as a profile pic and thats all they will need it for. I suggest to get them to your page and see if you can sell that way.[/QUOTE]

How do you mean "posting to FB is a bad idea? You also say "...get them to your page" Do you mean just my FB Homepage?

I just signed up with FB to have a small business page but somehow it is linked to my Homepage. That is, when you go to Omnimages, one can click on Home in the upper right-hand corner get access to all my family stuff. Maybe I should take the Omnimages page completely out.
    www.hilmasimages.com

• Options
    edited August 13, 2011
    I just went into a couple of your galleries and saw that you have originals enabled. Are you aware that right click protection is not protection at all? It's a small stumbling block on the way to grabbing your images for free. Yes, I know, you have your photos watermarked - but the watermark is not on the originals.

See ORIGINALS = a gateway to free photos, & right click protection is NOT PROTECTION.

--- Denise

I wasn't aware of exactly what that meant. I thought it meant that original sizes were available as digital downloads which, in many cases, is over 5000 pxs. Suggest the best size, please.
    www.hilmasimages.com

• Options
    edited August 13, 2011
    I wasn't aware of exactly what that meant. I thought it meant that original sizes were available as digital downloads which, in many cases, is over 5000 pxs. Suggest the best size, please.
    If you are selling digital downloads the original is used regardless of the largest display size.

With the largest display size to set to Original there is no reason to purchase a photo from you. The viewer can simply view the original-sized photo, then grab it from the browser cache. Set the largest size to anything other than Original.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2011
    If you are selling digital downloads the original is used regardless of the largest display size.

With the largest display size to set to Original there is no reason to purchase a photo from you. The viewer can simply view the original-sized photo, then grab it from the browser cache. Set the largest size to anything other than Original.

--- Denise

Done. I appreciate your advice. Thank you.
    www.hilmasimages.com

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2011
    hudakore wrote:
    Hello Mark. You write "...so add the links to your signature.." What/where is this signature? In SmugMug somewhere? I have it on my email stationery, should it be somewhere else?

He means right here on DGrin. Where it says "Nothing is what it seems nor is it otherwise." Put your links to Facebook, website, etc. below that.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2011
    He means right here on DGrin. Where it says "Nothing is what it seems nor is it otherwise." Put your links to Facebook, website, etc. below that.

Thank you.
    www.hilmasimages.com

• Options
    edited August 13, 2011
    If you're having problems finding the tool to edit your signature here...

Click on the clipboard icon in the dgrin navbar above, then click Edit Signature. Make sure to put clickable links in your signature, not just text. So for your smug site, use the full URL, http://www.omnimagesonline.com/. That will make it easier for folks here to find your site. If you participate in other forums you should add your site links to your signature there as well.

If you look at my signature as an example, it includes a link to my galleries, a link to my blog, and a link to my profile on google+. If someone wants to jump to my site all they need to do is click on the link.

As far as selling photos goes, it's hard to attract attention. People seem to browse more than buy (for those of us who shoot landscapes, probably anything other than paid portrait / wedding sessions).

For some information on search engine optimization and SmugMug, see http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93327.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2011
    If you're having problems finding the tool to edit your signature here...

Click on the clipboard icon in the dgrin navbar above, then click Edit Signature. Make sure to put clickable links in your signature, not just text. So for your smug site, use the full URL, http://www.omnimagesonline.com/. That will make it easier for folks here to find your site. If you participate in other forums you should add your site links to your signature there as well.

If you look at my signature as an example, it includes a link to my galleries, a link to my blog, and a link to my profile on google+. If someone wants to jump to my site all they need to do is click on the link.

As far as selling photos goes, it's hard to attract attention. People seem to browse more than buy (for those of us who shoot landscapes, probably anything other than paid portrait / wedding sessions).

For some information on search engine optimization and SmugMug, see http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93327.

--- Denise

Hello Denise,
    Thank you for all your help. My daughter is getting a website started for me so that will, for sure, be a good link to add. I will be adding my domain address, too. As far as a blog, I'm not sure what that is or how to do it. I did look at your wonderful photos on the Google+ site and loved all your remarks you've added to all the images. Is it easy to get into Google+, I've never heard of it? Does it cost money? You have VERY nice pages to look at.

Can you imagine, when I was a kid there were no helicopters, jets, TVs. Phones had operators that connected you to whom you were calling and certainly no idea that we'd be using computers, digital cameras and cell phones! It's been an adventure and a HUGE learning curve for me.
    www.hilmasimages.com

• Options
    edited August 13, 2011
    Hello Denise,
    Thank you for all your help. My daughter is getting a website started for me so that will, for sure, be a good link to add. I will be adding my domain address, too. As far as a blog, I'm not sure what that is or how to do it. I did look at your wonderful photos on the Google+ site and loved all your remarks you've added to all the images. Is it easy to get into Google+, I've never heard of it? Does it cost money? You have VERY nice pages to look at.

Can you imagine, when I was a kid there were no helicopters, jets, TVs. Phones had operators that connected you to whom you were calling and certainly no idea that we'd be using computers, digital cameras and cell phones! It's been an adventure and a HUGE learning curve for me.
    I've been living with computers for a long long time - I was lucky to stumble into the field when I was in college (back in the 70s). Yes, there is a learning curve, but it can be fun.

Thanks so much for your compliments!

I believe Google+ is open for all now. Try it at https://plus.google.com. If you have a problem getting in send me your email address via PM I'll send you an invitation. It is free. I found this article very useful in getting started there - http://www.colbybrownphotography.com/blog/google-the-survival-guide-for-a-photographers-paradise/.

As far as a blog goes, they are very easy to set up. Mine is on www.blogger.com. Again, it's free. I've matched the look of mine to my smugmug site, and I always use photo links from smug so if you click on the photo in my blog you are taken to that photo in my galleries. To start with, just set up a blog and start writing. This post may be helpful - Adding photos to your blog.

--- Denise