Options

Updating Adobe CS?

angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
edited August 22, 2011 in Finishing School
I am updating as I write from CS4 to 5.5. Can I remove the older version once this is complete?

thanks in advance!
tom wise

Comments

• Options
    mstensmstens Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    Should be able to, I've installed upgrade versions in the past and the only thing I've had to do was enter the qualifying serial
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    I am updating as I write from CS4 to 5.5. Can I remove the older version once this is complete?

thanks in advance!

Yes, I did...by mistake. I wanted to remove some other bits of the Suite, and misread the checkmarks on the installer screen to mean I wanted to keep the checked items. Of course it was opposite! So I was left with InDesign CS3, but PS was gone..oh well. Fully on CS5 now.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2011
    You can if you wish, use the application for uninstalling supplied by Adobe. Or you can keep it if you need it for some reason, just don’t try running the two versions at the same time!
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 19, 2011
    I kept my CS4 after updating, and find that I still use CS4 fairly often, as NoiseWare is not offered in a 64 bit version.

I am not aware of a compelling reason to delete CS4, just because you now have CS5 also. Hard drive space is cheap these days.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited August 19, 2011
    I keep CS3 on my machine. Once in a great while, I run into memory problems using CS5 on my old laptop and can do that step in CS3, then import the PSD file into CS5.

BTW, Imagenomic has had 64-bit versions of Noiseware for Windows for quite some time, but not yet for OS-X.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2011
    arodney wrote: »
    You can if you wish, use the application for uninstalling supplied by Adobe. Or you can keep it if you need it for some reason, just don’t try running the two versions at the same time!

Thanks, I did just that. I had to hook it up to the Internet , deactivate it and then use the uninstall function.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    I kept my CS4 after updating, and find that I still use CS4 fairly often, as NoiseWare is not offered in a 64 bit version.

I am not aware of a compelling reason to delete CS4, just because you now have CS5 also. Hard drive space is cheap these days.
    Yep, you're right, HDD space is Cheap. Unfortunately mine is SSD space. and even though I have two, the primary one had gotten a bit clogged. Right now I'm battling a slow down issue, and trying to put my finger on it. I primarily use CS4 After Effects and Premier Pro/Media Encoder. Now that I have finally upgraded I ordered additional RAM that I had promised myself some time ago. Still my slow down is a SSD/Main issue.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    I keep CS3 on my machine. Once in a great while, I run into memory problems using CS5 on my old laptop and can do that step in CS3, then import the PSD file into CS5.

BTW, Imagenomic has had 64-bit versions of Noiseware for Windows for quite some time, but not yet for OS-X.
    I have and use Noiseware pro, but less so since LR3 came to my Desktop. My noise issues I deal with most are in Video. And the one-man learning curve is proving steep.
    tom wise
  • Options
    ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011

I am not aware of a reason why some should keep CS4. But I know some reason for not doing so. One f.e. is that most plug-ins can not make the decision where to install, in the CS4 plug-in or the the CS5 plug-in folder. And often users are not asked, but the setup takes the first plug-in folder it finds on the disk or in registry.

CS4 and CS5 installs a 32 and 64 bit version, so I don't see what's your point with NoiseWare...
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2011
    I work on a Mac, and to my knowledge, NoiseWare is not available in a 64 bit version in OS 10.6 +

I have not had any issues with plug ins installing in the wrong location with both version on my boot drive so far.ne_nau.gif

I can understand if one is using an SSD for their boot drive and applications, that space may be more at a premium.

Whatever makes one happy.

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    Pathfinder, I think what ablichter is saying is that you can run CS5 in 32-bit mode, and Noiseware will run fine. (Command-I on the PS icon, and select run in 32 bit mode.) Although this is a hassle, so is having to keep two versions of Photoshop on your system.

I had a similar problem, Canon refuses to release 64-bit drivers for the 8800F scanner, so if I wanted to scan from within PS, I had to run in 32-bit mode. Eventually I gave up and went with Vuescan.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2011
    Yes, Mark, I suppose I could do that, but it was ( and is ) just simpler for me to run CS4 in 32 bit and CS5 in 64 bit. Then I do not have to switch back and forth, Some of my workspaces are slightly different in CS4 and CS5as well..

I do all my RAW processing in Lightroom 3 ( and rarely ever even open Bridge ), so the only reason to wander out to PS ( usually unless I am coming out of Photomatix perhaps ) is for local selective edits, and this way I can go to either program - CS4 or CS5 as I need.

I have not had to change any of the plug ins in CS4, and the only one I do not also have in CS5 is Noisware, so I am happy.

Maybe not the most sophisticated way to run a railroad, but I get along with it for now. If folks are happioer with only CS5 on their machine, more power to them.

• Options
    edited August 21, 2011
    My Bigger question has been answered. Could I simply get rid of CS4. It seems I can, and so far so good. Mine was simply a matter of space or lack of it. I have rectified most of my slowdown. But so far I am still puzzled by it. I freed up quite a bit of space ( now have 92GB free of 149) on the Boot drive and installed CS5 on the other SSd. All seems better but the boot drive-SSD still seems a bit lack-luster. Up-dated it's firmware with an ISO-burn to disc.
    tom wise
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »

[..]

... but the boot drive-SSD still seems a bit lack-luster.

Have a look at... it might be of value

http://majorgeeks.com/SSD_Tweaker_d6382.html

To be clear, I haven't tried this myself so caveat emptor and all that

Anthony.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2011
    Anthony wrote: »
    Have a look at... it might be of value

http://majorgeeks.com/SSD_Tweaker_d6382.html

To be clear, I haven't tried this myself so caveat emptor and all that

Anthony.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm not real big on little apps controlling my Hardware, but did take a visit to the Authors site. So little real info there, I wouldn't use it. Not that there is any real problem with the app. Intel, my SSD Mfr. has a toolbox and I use it regularly. Also the items I saw in the Screenshot were already taken care of. No. I think my sins are bigger than that app. More like dumping Large video files onto the Desktop over and over in the heat of rendering.
    tom wise
  • Options
    ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    I work on a Mac, and to my knowledge, NoiseWare is not available in a 64 bit version in OS 10.6 +

I have not had any issues with plug ins installing in the wrong location with both version on my boot drive so far.ne_nau.gif

I can understand if one is using an SSD for their boot drive and applications, that space may be more at a premium.

Well, I forgot, that CS4 wasn't avaiable as 64bit version for MACs.
    Whatever makes one happy.
    Sure ;-)
    This are the users who sooner or later complain that they had updated ACR to the latest version (f.e. to 6.4.1) severall times, but no matter what they do, their camera (new cam modell here) is not supported. :giggle
    Because always V5.7 is launched, which is from CS4
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2011
    Since my RAw engine is LR3, I always ( so far at least ) have the latest and greatest Raw engine offered by Adobe, in CS5.

It won't be that long before we all are talking about CS6 and LR4 I suspect.

I do agree that the noise reduction built into LR3/ACR 6+ is vastly better than anything offered by Adobe in the past.

I use DeNOise 5 in CS5, but I still feel that NoiseWare is the most effective plug in for noise with my images... so I just keep CS4 around for that mostly.

Operating system upgrades and application upgrades are always bittersweet affairs, aren't they?

• Options
    edited August 22, 2011

Operating system upgrades and application upgrades are always bittersweet affairs, aren't they?

Yes! And how apropos for me today. Finally made the 24GB RAM upgrade to find Win7 Home premium would only let me use 16GB...then off to Win7Pro....add another HDD into the remote storage only to find I cannot use eSata and have to revert to USB3.0.
    All that and guess what? Even though I had to revert to base BIOS and then load my OC program, now all is well and my OS-SSD is Snappy-Snappy. I did a little testing on it before the UPS guy came and it was still beyond the MFR's specs, so I figured it was good as it gets...I think Win7PRO and this bit of hardware has helped.

To get a taste of Sweet must have a bit of sour it seems.
    tom wise