Options

Redtail Hawks

Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
edited September 7, 2011 in Wildlife
Went out this morning to photograph the Humming birds, but the problem is was windy out and overcast but decided to give it a try and no Humming birds which I thought. Then the Red-tail started to fly around all morning long, and you knew where it was as you always heard the cries of the hawk strange as you don't hear them most of the time. Must have been hungry, as the hawk swooped down towards a little dog on the leash and the owners did not even noticed what was going on. Here are a couple of images from this morning.

Not sure why the hawk has a log in it's talons, but there are a number of people in this park along with kids and it sure would hurt someone if the hawk decided to let go of it.

6090230688_51d9a02cbb_o.jpg

6089686705_36eb5c1444_o.jpg

6090230810_8b898277ce_o.jpg

Comments

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    Wow, these are fantastic clap.gifclap

Exquisite clarity, detail and color bowdown.gif
  • Options
    SyphoniusSyphonius Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    Amazing. I was just looking at some hawk shots of mine this morning and I just couldn't find one that was good enough. These show me what they should be. :)
    Just a hobbyist with never enough time to shoot.
    SmugMug
  • Options
    ashruggedashrugged Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    These are just beautifil Dennis, I like the way the sky is white, rather than overcast grey, 3 is my favorite, I like the head position.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Excellent images, Dennis.

I once saw a Northern Harrier carrying around a hunk of wood. He would occasionally drop it and retrieve it! ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Very nice shots Ric. Too bad he didn't swoop down and grab that little dog and carry it off. That would have been a great shot; just kidding.
    Just wondering, 5D or 7D & which lens? Great shots in a bright sky, I probably would have just got some nice silhouettes.
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Ric, forget the hummers! These are terrific. I can see every detail of the hawk and every piece of bark on the log he is for some reason carrying. Great light, and what great expressions on the hawk's face. You set the standard! Best, Pam
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Very nice shots Ric. Too bad he didn't swoop down and grab that little dog and carry it off. That would have been a great shot; just kidding.
    Just wondering, 5D or 7D & which lens? Great shots in a bright sky, I probably would have just got some nice silhouettes.
    PGM wrote: »
    Ric, forget the hummers! These are terrific. I can see every detail of the hawk and every piece of bark on the log he is for some reason carrying. Great light, and what great expressions on the hawk's face. You set the standard! Best, Pam

These are Dennis' shots...you confused people!rolleyes1.gifD
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Outstanding images Dennis. clap.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    never saw a hawk with anything that big did get an osprey with a big 1.Great shots clap.gifthumb
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Ric Grupe wrote: »

Sorry Dennis! Didn't mean to give Ric credit--but you both deserve plenty of credit for so many great shots!
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Great shots Dennis bowdown.gif
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    What a cool event! These are very nice captures!
  • Options
    spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2011
    Very cool!
    Angela
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 29, 2011
    Really terrific shots, Dennis. #3 kind of has a look of exhausted pain. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Wow, these are fantastic clap.gifclap

Exquisite clarity, detail and color bowdown.gif

Thanks Dan for the kind words on these images.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011
    Syphonius wrote: »
    Amazing. I was just looking at some hawk shots of mine this morning and I just couldn't find one that was good enough. These show me what they should be. :)

Well thanks for the kind words on these images, and glad that you liked these. I'm sure that you could find one to post don't hold back on us now Again thanks.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011
    ashrugged wrote: »
    These are just beautifil Dennis, I like the way the sky is white, rather than overcast grey, 3 is my favorite, I like the head position.

Thanks ashrugged for the comments and I agree I prefer the whiter sky and over expose by 1/3 stop so I don't get the gray skies. I think that one is my favorite as well for the same reasons.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011
    Excellent images, Dennis.

I once saw a Northern Harrier carrying around a hunk of wood. He would occasionally drop it and retrieve it! ne_nau.gif

Thanks very much Ric. Strange what birds do from time to time, and we don't know why they do it, but it must be fun for them I guess.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011

First of all Ric did not take these sorry Ric.

Well it came very close to the little dog that is for sure, and pulled up because it seen the owners I guess. Something that I would not want to happen if I was walking my dog.

These images were taken with a Nikon D700 and 500mm lens. The trick with not getting the silhouettes is to use the exposure compensation on the plus side with shooting into the sky and I think these were +1.7 or +2.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011

You tell them Ric:ivar
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011

Oh another one trying to give Ric the credit Grin!

Thanks very much Pam and thank you for the kind words on these images and glad that you liked the series.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    Outstanding images Dennis. clap.gif

Thanks very much Harry for the comments.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011
    jwear wrote: »
    never saw a hawk with anything that big did get an osprey with a big 1.Great shots clap.gifthumb

Thanks Jeff and glad that you enjoyed these and I have to say that this is the first time that I have seen them with a log into its talons. I thought this was a squirrel at first, but after looking at the image I could not believe it was a log.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011
    Sorry Dennis! Didn't mean to give Ric credit--but you both deserve plenty of credit for so many great shots!

Not a problem Pam. It is no big deal, and thanks for the kind words fro both Ric and I that was kind of you to mention that.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011
    Great shots Dennis bowdown.gif

Thanks very much for the comments. Gee I think I have done enough typing for the day just relying to all the messages on these images.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011
    BBiggs wrote: »
    What a cool event! These are very nice captures!

Thanks Brenton for the comments on this series glad that you enjoyed them.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011
    spechtal wrote: »
    Very cool!

Thanks Angela for the comments.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Really terrific shots, Dennis. #3 kind of has a look of exhausted pain. rolleyes1.gif

kdog, thnks for the comments and kind words and I think you may be right as it did fly around for a few minutes with it in its talons. But I have to say that I like this one for that pose loking upward.
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2011
    Great shots, Dennis!
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2011
    Great shots, Dennis!

Thanks very much Glenn.