Options

Where does the monitor profile reside?

mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
edited September 5, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
I recently was forced into getting a new PC (by the death of the previous one) and while I was able to successfully copy my data and software to the new PC I still have one problem I've not been able to solve.

I use an X-rite i1 Display 2 monitor calibration device. But when the calibration is complete the software says that it is unable to save the profile. So I manually copy the profile into Windows-System32-Spool-Drivers-Color and I believe that it is being used. But I'd like to get the X-rite software to install the darn thing.

I suspected that there was a sharing problem so I turned on Sharing for this file but it still did not work.

If anyone else has had this problem can you tell me how you fixed it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    I would suggest emailing X-rite also or getting on their forums....if they have a client based forum......but email their support anyways....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited September 5, 2011
    I should have added that Art, sorry. I have had several long email conversations with their support folks. I have directly asked them several times which folder the profile is to go into and they never answer. Only suggest I ever got was to update my video driver (which I did do) and to update to the current service pack for windows, which I was already on.

I am pretty sure that I have the correct folder but cannot determine what security setting is causing the problem. I've shared the folder but the problem persists. It's just annoying.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    Mark, have you tried an Uninstall then reinstall?
    tom wise
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    Where ICC profiles live on different operating systems

Windows 7, Vista and XP:
    * \Windows\system32\spool\drivers\color

Win98/Me - Windows/System/Color

WinNT - WinNT/System32/Color
    Win2K- WinNT/System32/Spool/Drivers/Color
    WinXP - Windows/System32/Spool/Drivers/Color

On a mac, it's Library/ColorSync/Profiles either in the root or user
    Epson places their profiles inside a package (a self- contained group of files) found in Main Library/:Printers:EPSON:InkjetPrinter:ICCProfiles

Sounds like Windows isn’t happy with permissions or something along those lines and isn’t allowing you to save in its default location.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Mark, have you tried an Uninstall then reinstall?

Twice.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2011
    arodney wrote: »
    Where ICC profiles live on different operating systems

Windows 7, Vista and XP:
    * \Windows\system32\spool\drivers\color

Win98/Me - Windows/System/Color

WinNT - WinNT/System32/Color
    Win2K- WinNT/System32/Spool/Drivers/Color
    WinXP - Windows/System32/Spool/Drivers/Color

On a mac, it's Library/ColorSync/Profiles either in the root or user
    Epson places their profiles inside a package (a self- contained group of files) found in Main Library/:Printers:EPSON:InkjetPrinter:ICCProfiles

Sounds like Windows isn’t happy with permissions or something along those lines and isn’t allowing you to save in its default location.

That is where I thought it should be and I can manually copy it there, so I do have a work around until I can figure out which permissions setting is causing the problem. Thanks Andrew.
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    I have also had issues with their software (i1Display 2) and found their customer support to be lacking. Similar issue where I had to manually copy files into a folder but it was not the ICC profile. I still have to use a work around to calibrate my dual monitor system. Probably the last Xrite product I buy.