Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #85 (Orton Inspiration) CLOSED

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited September 20, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #85

Welcome to Round #85 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.
It will run from Monday, September 5th, 9:00pm PST time (GMT -7) on through Monday, September 19th, 9:00pm PST time (GMT -7).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Orton Inspiration

Watch Michael's video series (link below) to understand the challenge subject and be inspired by him.
http://www.michaelortonphotography.com/slideshows.html
  • Also available for research is an interview with Michael available here
  • A tutorial that ghinson found here

Maximum two images or exposures should be used in creating your entry in this round. For motion images you should be creating the effect in camera with one exposure.

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 6, 2011
    Walking through the forest towards the beach this last weekend, I was inspired by Michael and decided to create a collection of images that are reminiscent of some his work. I am posting the video I created yesterday and links to the individual images for more DSS #85 inspiration.

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="http://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1465540756_8gkrcB6?width=640&height=360&sb&fs&nologo"></iframe&gt;

Full size version of the video here

The individual images are here
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Very, very excited about this one, Sean! I've never played with this sort of imaging, but after looking at your images and Michael's website, I think that I've been missing out..........
  • Options
    silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    How fun, and at the perfect moment in time. I have just decided to try 365 days without a tripod, monopod, or any means of support that isn't found on location.

Sean, this is one of your best ideas to date (in my humble opinion) clap.gif. I'm more than inspired.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    sherstone wrote: »
    Walking through the forest towards the beach this last weekend, I was inspired by Michael and decided to create a collection of images that are reminiscent of some his work. I am posting the video I created yesterday and links to the individual images for more DSS #85 inspiration.

Beautiful Sean!
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Sean, Excellent Work
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Sean, I love this. I've been playing with this for several months. I hope I have time to work on this one.

Here are a couple of my very first tries at this from a few months ago:

821867077_UoKNq-M-2.jpg

821853854_vbs7Z-M-2.jpg

821866315_2gDRb-M-2.jpg
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2011
    Chris, those are so delicate! Lovely.....
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Looking forward to this Sean and thanks for your inspiring video. I've never done anything like this so appreciate the push. GP
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    I think Mr Orton needs to up his shutter speed a little. Lol! This should be a fun challenge! :B
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2011
    Aspecto5 wrote: »
    I think Mr Orton needs to up his shutter speed a little. Lol! This should be a fun challenge! :B

Just so everyone knows 1/8 to 1/10 of a second are perfect starting points for shutter speed. Depending on the light conditions you can adjust the shutter speed to be even slower but for most situations 1/8 is perfect. The camera can be moved a small amount for gentle effects but in the case of most of the ones I have posted they were done by swinging my arm up and down in a smooth full motion arc. You can also experiment with jiggling the whole camera during the exposure.

The biggest trick is to start the movement before pressing the shutter and keep following through until after the shutter is closed. For photographers that have point and shoot style cameras if you put it in night mode it should give you enough time to produce similar effects.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2011
    Sean, I love this. I've been playing with this for several months. I hope I have time to work on this one.

Here are a couple of my very first tries at this from a few months ago:

821866315_2gDRb-200x200-2.jpg

They are all beautiful but number 3 is my favourite of the group! thumb.gif
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Just so everyone knows 1/8 to 1/10 of a second are perfect starting points for shutter speed. Depending on the light conditions you can adjust the shutter speed to be even slower but for most situations 1/8 is perfect. The camera can be moved a small amount for gentle effects but in the case of most of the ones I have posted they were done by swinging my arm up and down in a smooth full motion arc. You can also experiment with jiggling the whole camera during the exposure.

The biggest trick is to start the movement before pressing the shutter and keep following through until after the shutter is closed. For photographers that have point and shoot style cameras if you put it in night mode it should give you enough time to produce similar effects.

Thanks Sean!
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Can we make the entries into videos? ;)

I only know the Orton Effect as the soft, blurry out-of-focus photo. Haven't played with his motion effect pics before. I do cringe at the idea of judging if all of the pics look like yours and Chris' examples (which are all fabulous, by the way).
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2011
    ghinson wrote: »
    Can we make the entries into videos? ;)

I only know the Orton Effect as the soft, blurry out-of-focus photo. Haven't played with his motion effect pics before. I do cringe at the idea of judging if all of the pics look like yours and Chris' examples (which are all fabulous, by the way).

You can do as many videos as you like with all the shots you produce but for the challenge it can only be one image. biggrinbounce2.gif

The challenge encompasses both styles of photography the motion or "Orton Effect" style images are both allowed and encouraged. You must choose which one you prefer though. :*sip*
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2011
    One more image for reference. I did this one last year. It is created by taking two images, one in focus the other very out of focus, on a tripod. No post work was done except to sandwich them together using "multiply"

869403240_nWjQv-L-2.jpg
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    Sean, if we use two layered photos, do we need to include the exif data for both if they are different photos?

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2011
    nod.gif yes you do
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited September 8, 2011
    aaauuuugggg! Trying to log into the challenges album and it keep authenticating me with fb log in!! Never had that happen before! How do I make it stop? Its not asking me if I want to be signed into it with fb...its just doing it!

EDIT...never mind! I figured out where to turn off that feature! I didn't even know I had it on!
  • Options
    scasscas Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    Exif data
    If 2 shors are used how are both exif's included?
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2011
    scas wrote: »
    If 2 shors are used how are both exif's included?

like this {---click there
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    Even if I don't have time to try an entry, I have learned something from reading the information in the links you provided. (I'd never heard of Orton effect, so my first thought on seeing the title of this challenge was "Huh??") I think I get the idea now...just need to find something to photograph that fits the technique. All the landscape around where I live (Central Texas) is brown, dead, or burning. There is not much to look at around here right now, much less photograph! I usually have a yard full of daylilies this time of year plus a flower bed blooming. This year--I got nothing but brown crispy leaves. :cry

Sherry
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2011
    slpollett wrote: »
    This year--I got nothing but brown crispy leaves. :cry

Sherry

I just tried out the effect on a bowl of blue berries and it looks yummy :D
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2011
    Well let's see! :B
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2011
    Aspecto5 wrote: »
    Well let's see! :B
    If I must.. rolleyes1.gif

Blue Breakfast
    BlueBreakfast-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2011
    If I must.. rolleyes1.gif

Blue Breakfast

You know what makes me mad about this picture? Tim Horton's no longer has blueberry bagels anymore. They replaced it with a mixed berry bagel. Oh how I miss my blueberry bagel in the morning. Lol! Fantastic shot Sean. The lighting and comp is perfect! :B
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited September 10, 2011
    Great theme for this challenge and interesting to see the many ways people are inspired by Orton's work. I thought I would try his "original" technique but am having too much fun with the motion shots. :D

Random thoughts about Orton's technique(s) and what I think Sean has said about this challenge. (Hoping Sean will chime in if I've misunderstood the parameters for the challenge.) Hoping this rambling may help someone....

1. We are to choose between doing a motion effect image or the "Orton Effect" style - one or the other.

2. The motion effect image is created by moving the camera and is to be just one exposure. Sean suggests that "1/8 to 1/10 of a second are perfect starting points for shutter speed. Depending on the light conditions you can adjust the shutter speed to be even slower but for most situations 1/8 is perfect. The camera can be moved a small amount for gentle effects but in the case of most of the ones I have posted they were done by swinging my arm up and down in a smooth full motion arc. You can also experiment with jiggling the whole camera during the exposure."

3. About camera motion, Orton writes: "Consider camera motion in this way: The landscape you see through the viewfinder is a canvas wet with paint, your film in your camera is a blank sheet of white paper pressed against it. Any movement of your camera will result in the landscape being painted onto the film according to the movement." Photographing Creative Landscapes - Michael Orton.

In his more recent Freedom series, Orton uses "compound camera motion and changing focal length and focus to paint my version of the landscape. Images vary from abstract to defined...." So it would seem that either technique can be used to create an abstract image or show us something that we recognize.

4. The original "Orton effect" was created by combining two images - one sharply focused and the other blurred. Up to two exposures can be used to create this kind of image. It would seem that it is OK to follow Darwin Wigget's tutorial to create this effect with one image as there is a link to this tutorial. If one plans on combining two images, Darwin Wigget suggests using f/16-22 for the sharp image and f/2.8-4 for the blurred.

5. Weather conditions: Orton mentions that rain was a major factor in helping him get beautiful colors in his motion effect images. And Wigget suggests that the (original) Orton effect seems to work best when the sky is overcast and the shot includes little or no sky. Sean and Orton both included the sky in some of their motion effect shots. (I shot my first series of images on a rainy day but also liked the results today when the sun was shining.)

6. How to judge more abstract Orton inspired images: In one of the threads, the difficulty of judging abstract images was raised and Sean suggested: "Voting with your gut - whatever causes you to have the most feeling of "WOW" or just plain calm, is probably the best way to judge abstract type images."

Sean, thanks for this fun challenge and the inspirational slideshow (and other images) you've shared!

Gretchen
  • Options
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    (Hoping Sean will chime in if I've misunderstood the parameters for the challenge.) Hoping this rambling may help someone....

Seems like you understand the challenge perfectly! Thank you for summarizing things for everyone. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Getchen, you sure do know how to sum things up well. And Sean, we're having blueberries with our waffles for breakfast because your picture is just so darn lovely.
  • Options
    powderpowder Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited September 11, 2011
    How about a slideshow of our entries, Sean? It's shaping up to be a good one :) ....in your spare time, of course.
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2011
    powder wrote: »
    ....in your spare time, of course.
    Oh yes I have lots of that. rolleyes1.gif

Speaking of time... I finally had some (time) to send out the winning PM messages for DSS #84 - Congratulations again GretaPics!