Options

Playing with #86

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 2, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Not my usual kind of shots, but we were out yesterday and it occurred to me these might convert nicely.

Thoughts?

1 i-8dj8qnK-L.jpg

i-d4HV4Cm-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    luxbugluxbug Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited September 26, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Not my usual kind of shots, but we were out yesterday and it occurred to me these might convert nicely.

Thoughts?

1 i-8dj8qnK-200x200.jpg

Nice, I like #1. The uncropped ripples of water on the lower right bring me right in.
    - Karen
    Luxbug on SmugMug
    “You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
  • Options
    torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif The black & white also enhances the serenity of the photo.
  • Options
    Thanks both! How's the contrast? I feel like #1 might be a little dark, but can't decide.... headscratch.gif
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    Definitely #1 and I like the contrast as is.
  • Options
    thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    #1 is great as is. The birds are right in the third and I agree with above that with the bottom un-cropped helps to bring you into the photo.
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited September 28, 2011
    Beautiful shots! Like both of them, but agree with others about entering #1 over #2.
  • Options
    PrecariousPrecarious Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    Not to be contrary but I find the ripples distracting so prefer #2. I also like that there is more sky visible to balance out the scene. The horizon line moved to dead center may really set it off.
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    #1 gets my vote
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2011
    I'm a fan of # 1... have you thought about playing with a colored filter to get an even more dreamy/fairytale feeling?

Actually #1 with a bit more sky, if possible...
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    My take is slightly different... I like the composition of the first shot - the ripples and the horizon above center. But... I prefer the processing in the second shot (maybe with a bit of drama added to the sky).

I do agree that the scene processes nicely in B&W.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    Thanks all. I don't have them open right now to check "history", but iirc I think I copied/pasted settings from 1 into 2 and thus actually used the same processing on them! They're different shots (note the positions of the geese) rather than 2 versions of the same one. Weird how they took it differently. I did both of them in LR alone, believe it or not .... and they were shot with my s95 (pns) - we took the dog up to the reservoir and I just liked the geese on the water!

I'll check them out and incorporate suggestions thumb.gif. I'd hoped to do some of my fave kind of bw portraits for this challenge - I do a lot of conversions - but haven't had a subject in the right time period.
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    Great shots, divamum. It is interesting that you used the same processing...to my eyes, they do seem different. I prefer #1, but would like to see the contrast pushed just a bit so that the shapes on the water (and the ripples, I suspect) pop just a bit more.
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    This photo is tough, its kind of like trying to get a grasp on the piece but my eyes just seems to wander through it looking for something to focus on. The post-processing and crop is good on #1, but its still missing that anchor. The dead space in the water just doesn't hold it up. Not trying to sound negative but that's how I see it.
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2011
    No disagreement from me, Mr Peas - that's kind of my feeling about it too! Haven't had time to shoot something especially this week though, so I've tweaked #1 and submitted it. Kind of fun to push myself to do something a little different - landscape is definitely NOT my forte, and it's always fun to see what I can do with the limitations of a pns (even a very good pns like the s95) thumb.gif

I'm such a b&w lover that I'm sad time was too short to do some portraits "to order" - I'd have loved to do something like this one (which isn't eligible - shot back in August!). Oh well!! :)

i-LbpX8nG-M.jpg