Options

Good Starter Cameras?

emilybethemilybeth Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited October 10, 2011 in Cameras
Can you please make some suggestions on good starter DSLR's? I know which one I'd ideally like to have but I think I may be spending more on too much of a camera for my needs right now. I don't want to get a camera that has a ton of features that I wont really use. So I think for a first DSLR I'd rather keep it a little more reasonable and when I need to upgrade I will. I want to stick with either Canon or Nikon and I certainly don't want to forfeit quality. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    It depends on what you want to do. If it's just the occasional snapshot, a Rebel might do fine. If you're more adcvanced, want better ergonomics, better performance, etc., the 60D might work. If you're a serious shooter who does a bit of everything, the 7D. The 7D is getting a little bit above "starter," though. Of course, the Nikon equivalents to the cameras above (D3100, D5100 [really nice for the price, actually], and D7000) would work as well.

We need to know what type of stuff you shoot ear.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    My thoughts......do not go real low end...you will only want to upgrade real soon......In the Nikon camp I would probably suggest either used D300s or D7000....I know the D300s has a built in screw drive to focus any auto focus lens...not sure on the D7000......that is one of the huge problems of the low end cameras....you have to be careful of what lenses you buy, if the cam does not have a screw focus in the body then the lenses have to have a focus motor......the D300s I believe is a bit more sealed than the D7000 but I have heard really good things about the d7000....

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited October 3, 2011
    Do you need to shoot in very low light with high-ISOs? If so, exactly what conditions do you anticipate?

Do you intend to shoot sports/action?

How rugged? Weather seals?

How responsive would you like the camera to be? What frame rate?

Do you desire/require a full-frame (FF) body?

What is the primary purpose for the camera, what type of photography?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2011
    I want to be able to do a little bit of everything. I do a lot of portraits and outdoor/motion photography and the camera I have now is just not cutting it. I do a lot of kids portraits as well as horse photography. I'm getting ready to do maternity photos for the first time too and also head shots for a few students at the local college. FPS is important to me for the in motion horse photos. I was looking at the 7D and D7000 but was wondering if there was anything maybe a step or two down from those that would work well for me. However, I don't want to make any big sacrifices and I certainly don't want to have to get another camera fter just a few months because it's not as good as I was hoping.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2011
    Well, the 60D and D5100, the step-lower models, might not be enough camera for what you want to do. I think a 7D would be better. If it's too expensive, you could consider a used 1DII for half the price of a 7D. That's what I'd do :). The 50D would also work.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2011
    emilybeth wrote: »
    I want to be able to do a little bit of everything. I do a lot of portraits and outdoor/motion photography and the camera I have now is just not cutting it. I do a lot of kids portraits as well as horse photography. I'm getting ready to do maternity photos for the first time too and also head shots for a few students at the local college. FPS is important to me for the in motion horse photos. I was looking at the 7D and D7000 but was wondering if there was anything maybe a step or two down from those that would work well for me. However, I don't want to make any big sacrifices and I certainly don't want to have to get another camera fter just a few months because it's not as good as I was hoping.

I would seriously recommend renting from Borrow Lenses or another service to try out a cam or two...I would not drop any lower than the D7K in Nikon......for the reasons listed above .....

What cam are you currently using???
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited October 3, 2011
    I want to be able to do a little bit of everything. I do a lot of portraits and outdoor/motion photography and the camera I have now is just not cutting it. I do a lot of kids portraits as well as horse photography. ... FPS is important to me for the in motion horse photos. ...

Are you talking horse agility/jumps?

Will this be indoors?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Are you talking horse agility/jumps?

Will this be indoors?

A little bit of everything but definitely jumping. At this point I don't plan to do indoors but if that situation were to arise, I would hate not to have a decent camera for it.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    So I think for a first DSLR I'd rather keep it a little more reasonable and when I need to upgrade I will.

This has been my approach and, by searching for great deals and/or buying gently-used or refurbished from reputable dealers, I've been able to keep a "rolling upgrade" that met my needs without killing my budget (too much ;)

If budget is limited, my own advice would be, at this point, to go with either one of the "top of the entry-level" cameras (eg the newest/best-featured Canon Ti series, and whatever the Nikon equivalent would be), or better, a used mid-grade camera such as a Canon 50d. This will keep camera body costs down and let you get an appropriate lens. In the tough conditions you may find at a horsehow ou will need one that focuses fast, can stand up to some weather and dust and, likely, a telephoto. Something like the Canon 70-200 2.8 or f4 will likely do well and, in your circumstances, you will probably benefit from the build-quality and weather-sealing of the L lenses. Be warned - the lenses will probably cost MORE than the body, but for your stated needs, they will definitely yield better results.

On the other hand, if you have the $, then something like the Canon 7d would be a wonderful camera, but it is definitely NOT a "starter" camera - it has a lot of features which in some ways make it harder to use straight out of the box than the entry-level models; it's a very powerful machine, but does take a little getting to know.

I'm sure Nikon users will chime in with brand suggestions.

ETA: I know most people recommend against the Rebels, but I was very happy with my xsi for a lot of shooting! They can take great pictures, they just don't offer the handling niceties of their more expensive siblings. Some will argue that build-quality is "poor", but speaking from my own experience, my xsi has stood up to 3 years of hard use and never missed a click! That said, since you're already doing what sounds like semi-pro work, you probably do need the features of the other models. What have you been shooting on to date?
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    This has been my approach and, by searching for great deals and/or buying gently-used or refurbished from reputable dealers, I've been able to keep a "rolling upgrade" that met my needs without killing my budget (too much ;)

If budget is limited, my own advice would be, at this point, to go with either one of the "top of the entry-level" cameras (eg the newest/best-featured Canon Ti series, and whatever the Nikon equivalent would be), or better, a used mid-grade camera such as a Canon 50d. This will keep camera body costs down and let you get an appropriate lens. In the tough conditions you may find at a horsehow ou will need one that focuses fast, can stand up to some weather and dust and, likely, a telephoto. Something like the Canon 70-200 2.8 or f4 will likely do well and, in your circumstances, you will probably benefit from the build-quality and weather-sealing of the L lenses. Be warned - the lenses will probably cost MORE than the body, but for your stated needs, they will definitely yield better results.

On the other hand, if you have the $, then something like the Canon 7d would be a wonderful camera, but it is definitely NOT a "starter" camera - it has a lot of features which in some ways make it harder to use straight out of the box than the entry-level models; it's a very powerful machine, but does take a little getting to know.

I'm sure Nikon users will chime in with brand suggestions.

ETA: I know most people recommend against the Rebels, but I was very happy with my xsi for a lot of shooting! They can take great pictures, they just don't offer the handling niceties of their more expensive siblings. Some will argue that build-quality is "poor", but speaking from my own experience, my xsi has stood up to 3 years of hard use and never missed a click! That said, since you're already doing what sounds like semi-pro work, you probably do need the features of the other models. What have you been shooting on to date?

Very insightful, thank you. I have shot with a friends T3i and really enjoyed it. However, I enjoy shooting-period. Not to mention that dslr's are a new thing to me. I've been using my Kodak Z812. It's a p&s but the bulky kind not the pocket cameras. It takes great photos, just not the quality I need by far. I've done a lot of kids portraits with it that turn out great but when I try to shoot cross country jumping, it's pretty hit and miss. Every now and then I get a good clear shot but their usually blurry. I've also done senior portraits with it that turned out well, I'm just ready to upgrade to something more reliable. I need to know I'm not going to have blurry shots because I do a lot of action photography. Anywhere from kids playing, horses running or animals playing. I want to be able to catch the action in a good crisp shot.

Part of me thinks I just need to bite the bullet and buy the 7d because I know I like it and a lot of people here suggest it and it sounds like it would be able to do everything I want without fail. However, I kind of started leaning towards the d7000 because I had a chance to handle it in store and loved it. It just sounds to me like I'd be getting a better camera if I went with the Canon. Grr, such tough decisions!!
  • Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2011
    you won't be disappointed with either the 7D or D7000... both are good bodies.

IMHO, tho. I think you should be focusing more on the lens.

I would rather shoot with a Canon T3i + 70-200L F2.8 IS than shooting with a 7D with the kit lens (18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS )

my opinion anyway. :)
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    rhommel wrote: »
    you won't be disappointed with either the 7D or D7000... both are good bodies.

IMHO, tho. I think you should be focusing more on the lens.

I would rather shoot with a Canon T3i + 70-200L F2.8 IS than shooting with a 7D with the kit lens (18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS )

my opinion anyway. :)

This raises another question....

Am I better off to buy the T3i and invest in top of the line lenses? I mean, how much difference would it be? Would I still have the quality? What exactly would it mean for me to go lower on the body but higher on the lenses? I am on a budget here so I guess what I'm asking is, what do I do if I'm going for economic and quality?
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    is it ok to ask your budget? if we all know what the budget is, maybe we can give you a better advice on a combo (dslr + lens)

:)
    This raises another question....

Am I better off to buy the T3i and invest in top of the line lenses? I mean, how much difference would it be? Would I still have the quality? What exactly would it mean for me to go lower on the body but higher on the lenses? I am on a budget here so I guess what I'm asking is, what do I do if I'm going for economic and quality?
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    Another question: how familiar are you with the technical side of things, ie exposure, eg the relationships between aperture/shutter speed/ISO? Until you're familiar with these, NO dSLR is going to give you the kinds of shots you want; I suspect the blurring you're talking about is related to these factors - often limited in a pns (ie shutter speed/ISO performance) - and just about any dSLR will give you better results than even a very good pns *once you know how to interpret and use the settings*.

Given that you're coming from a PnS, I would actually recommend a Rebel + decent lenses (or Nikon equivalent). Why? The entry-level are DESIGNED for people moving up from point and shoots who are initially going to use automatic modes and expect the camera to make more decisions for them. The handling "problems" advanced shooters mention about the Rebels actually aren't a problem at all until you're shooting manual most of the time, and the "features" of a camera like the 7d are more likely to be "confusions" at first. Yes, you may grow out of your first dSLR in a year or so, but you can sell it and trade up to what you need once you figure out what you need to do the jobs you want to do thumb.gif Glass can "upgrade with you" so will definitely not be a poor investment.

I'm a Canon shooter - Nikon has equivalents - and in your your stated situation, I could imagine something like a t3i (or, if the extra money's there, 60d) + 24-105f4 (lens ~$1000) as well as a 50mm 1.8 ($100) or 1.4 ($400) (and/or 85 1.8 $400) would be an excellent starter kit that would cover a lot of your intentions including outdoor horseshow action and senior portraits. (Those prices are for new, btw - if you're willing to go used/refurbished, you'll save about 20-30%). You will likely eventually want one of the 2.8 zooms, but the appealing focal length of the 24-105+IS will definitely help you along at first. It's also a very, very sharp lens.

Yes, you may well want to sell a t3i within a year, but it is likely to be a lot less frustrating/intimidating to use at first than a 7d!

BTW, there is NO REASON AT ALL to think that Canon is "better" than Nikon - both make terrific cameras. If the Nikon feels best in your hands, then that's the way to go. Of course, handle both to be sure, but go with what feels great and where the menus/controls-logic make most sense to you.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    Originally, I was thinking a $1500 dollar limit, but then I started doing my research and realized that might not be realistic for everything I want to do. So if I could stick to that, it'd be great but if I have to I'd be willing to go 2k. I was thinking that the only way I'd go higher than that would be if I go with the 7d. Bear in mind, I'm a college student so buying a camera is a big deal no matter which one I get. Funds are definitely not unlimited!

Part of my concern has definitely been the confusion issue with so much camera in the 7d as opposed to going with something a little closer to entry level. I definitely have a LOT to learn about dslr's. I have been reading all that I can on here and other places but honestly, I'm a learn by doing type and just reading about it does me no good. Honestly, I'm ok with not having top of the line. I just want something that's competent for what I want to do and as I learn more about the cameras and photography in general, I'd be happy to upgrade. Would it be relatively easy to resell the T3i if I decide to upgrade in a year or so?

I would be fine with buying used or refurb. as long as I know that it's in good shape and I wont get screwed. The body I would probably buy new, but with lenses I'm definitely open to saving when I can.

Also, I don't really care whether it's Nikon or Canon, I just know that I've used more Canons and people I know personally are always happy with theirs.

ETA: Would 3.7 FPS on the T3i be enough for horse jumping? It just seems like a lot less compared to the 7d and d7k.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    Also, I don't really care whether it's Nikon or Canon, I just know that I've used more Canons and people I know personally are always happy with theirs.

I think what you said here is important in making your decision in terms of what brand to buy. One of the reasons I stuck with Canon is because almost all of my photog friends shoot with Canon. Borrowing/Trying out lenses/accessories were really easy :)
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    I think what you said here is important in making your decision in terms of what brand to buy. One of the reasons I stuck with Canon is because almost all of my photog friends shoot with Canon. Borrowing/Trying out lenses/accessories were really easy :)

Haha, too true!! I hadn't thought of that! Brilliant!
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    ETA: Would 3.7 FPS on the T3i be enough for horse jumping? It just seems like a lot less compared to the 7d and d7k.

just look at this link

and some samples of action shots here

maybe not as fast as 7D, but it can definitely do the job ,provided you know about the trinity aperture,iso,shutter speed, of course
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011

It is less... but I'll be honest and say I personally have usually used single-shot for over-fences pix!! YMMV and some people may really want those fps; I've just always done it that way and, because most of what I do is portraits, I usually have my camera set to single-shot. But if single-shot can nail the fence.... 3fps certainly can :D Not sure if Hoofclix still posts/reads here - you might try pm'ing him under that name and see if he thinks 3fps would be sufficient (he's a full-time pro equestrian photographer). Remember too, that fps is how many times the shutter can click in a second, not how fast the shutter responds - all dSLR's are going to be MUCH quicker to respond than your current camera (and without the shutter lag).

Given all you've said, you might do very well to consider a used 50d - it will strike an excellent "middle-ground" between the two Canon cameras you're considering, and will save you some pennies (you can probably get a decent used one for about $700, which leaves you a much more generous budget for lenses). Again, in time you may want all the other goodies that the 7d offers, but the 50d is a quality piece of gear and won't leave you lacking as you work on technical skills. It also has the "pro" handling (ie the thumbwheel on the back of the camera) of the higher end cameras.

For used with a warrantee, check out KEH (EXCELLENT online supplier) as well as the two "biggies", Adorama and B&H (currently closed for the Jewish holidays, I suspect - they usually shut down for two weeks around now, although I don't know the actual dates).

ETA: These were taken using a Rebel xsi, in 1-shot mode (as far as I recall - it's a while ago)

607856897_KERed-L.jpg

607856866_REBmE-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    divamum wrote:
    If the Nikon feels best in your hands, then that's the way to go. Of course, handle both to be sure, but go with what feels great and where the menus/controls-logic make most sense to you.

Great advice.

Action can be shot with single shot. The 8fps helps in sports like baseball where you can't anticipate the moment, or it happens too fast (like a player throwing a ball). If you can anticipate the horse jumps, you should be fine. There are plenty of sports photogs, with their 7D's and 1D's, who don't use burst mode.

Given the choice between a T3i + 70-200 2.8L or a 7D + kit lens, T3i for sure. That glass holds its value. You'll get way better photos. Keep in mind that the T3i and 7D have the same sensor. It's the exta features that make the 7D more expensive.

Will you be able to resell the T3i? Take a look at the used T1i prices now, that's probably where the T3i prices will be in a year or two.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    All telephoto lens suggestions seem to be the Canon 70-200 2.8L. I understand that a lot of the quality of photos depends on the lens but what about the f/4 as an alternative? 2k is a lot to spend on one lens for me right now. As much as I'd love to get it, what about the other one that is about half the price? What's the difference in the two?
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    Discussion on that very 2.8 vs 4.0 subject going on at the moment in another thread. There is a huge amount of difference between 2.8 and f4 glass (hence the big price and weight differences, too!)

Also, since you have NO lenses, you're going to need more than one tele-zoom. Even if that's where you put the bulk of your $, you're going to need something else in the standard zoom (eg 17-50ish) range.

Another option for a tele is the much less expensive 200L 2.8 ($600-800) - this is a glorious lens (I had a Mk1 for a while and only sold it for the 135L which is a better focal length for my needs). Both of those shots I posted earlier in the thread were taken with the 200. Yes, you have to zoom with your feet but it's not such a big deal.

Again, if I were you, with your needs, I'd be looking at something like:

Body: Used 50d ($700 or less)
    Lens 1: 24-105is F4 ($900-1100) - this is not the "perfect" never-buy-another-one lens for what you do, but it is super-high quality, very versatile, and will cover your most-used focal lengths for the time being. You can add to it (and/or sell it and buy something else) once you see what you use/need most. This lens holds its value extremely well.

Lens 2a: 50mm 1.4 ($300-400) for portraits/low light situations

OR

Lens 2b: 200L 2.8 ($600-800) as a longer, faster telephoto for shooting cross-country until such time as you want to/can afford one of the 70-200 2.8 zooms.

You really ought to budget for a flash as well - if you're willing to learn to use a manual flash, you can pick up a Yongnuo for under $100; if you want Canon's eTTL (which works very well, IMO), then you're looking at $200 or more depending on the model.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    All telephoto lens suggestions seem to be the Canon 70-200 2.8L. I understand that a lot of the quality of photos depends on the lens but what about the f/4 as an alternative? 2k is a lot to spend on one lens for me right now. As much as I'd love to get it, what about the other one that is about half the price? What's the difference in the two?

There are 5 different 70-200s:

70-200 f4: $500
    70-200 f4 IS: $900
    70-200 f/2.8: $1000
    70-200 f/2.8 IS: $1400
    70-200 f/2.8 IS II: $2000

(The prices are my basic reference prices, based on buying used and being patient for a good deal. For new prices, add a few hundred $).

For outdoor stuff, IS can be a waste of money IMHO. There are many photogs who can't live without it, but I don't own any IS lenses and I'm fine. You shouldn't need IS for outdoor horse stuff, and definitely not for anything when you're using a tripod (IS doesn't correct for subject movement, just camera movement). Of the 70-200s, I'd go with the f/2.8 non-IS for $1000. If you really hunt for a deal, I've seen them a bit lower. The 70-200 f4 is a great value, but yes, there is a difference between f/2.8 and f/4. If you got the f4:
    You'd be missing out on the background blur the 2.8 gives. Make no mistake, the f4 bokeh (background quality) is excellent, but the 2.8 gives more creaminess. With the f4, busy backgrounds can be distracting. The 2.8 version also gives you higher shutter speeds in low light. The 2.8 activates your camera's cross-type AF sensors, and it gives you a brighter VF.

I like Diva's suggestion to get the 200 f/2.8. It's sharper than most of the zooms (it's REALLY sharp; look online for sample photos). The downside is you have to zoom with your feet. Maybe you're OK with that.

The 50D is an excellent choice for a body. The 24-105 would be an excellent choice. So would the 50 1.8 (I'd get the 1.8 over the 1.4). So would the 85mm 1.8. You just have to decide what focal length(s) you want. Maybe renting would help?
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    So would the 50 1.8 (I'd get the 1.8 over the 1.4).

I've owned both. If I were saving $, then I'd get the 1.8; if I had the room in the budget, I'd get the 1.4. The 1.8 offers tremendous image quality for the money, but there's no denying it's finicky in low-light (ironic, given that's where you're most likely to use a 1.8 lens!) and the AF is, well... it's a special snowflake and you have to love it enough to put up with its quirks (it's slow and VERY noisy). Don't get me wrong - I think I actually preferred the look of my 1.8 and I got a lot of great shots with it, but the 1.4 is a much more reliable lens. In the f4 scenario I outlined above, being able to use the 50mm reliably at wider apertures would be important, hence my reasoning to go with the 1.4 if possible... If not, the 1.8 will make an entirely serviceable choice thumb.gif
  • Options
    Chuck289Chuck289 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2011

There is also the Sigma 70-200 2.8.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2011
    Chuck289 wrote: »

I have shot with Sigma lenses for over 25 yrs until I came back to Nikon and I am very disappointed in my Nikon 70-200.......I cannot see any difference in image quality over the Sigmas I used in the Past......my other complaint is the distance to subject working distance....the Sigmas allow for real close focus and the Nikon is like 6 feet...

• Options
    edited October 6, 2011
    Chuck289 wrote: »

Hmm, tell me more about the Sigma please. What's the price range like? Quality? Compatible with a Canon? Comparable to the Canon telephotos? Sorry, I am truly brand new to the world of lenses. And SLR's for that matter.
  • Options
    Chuck289Chuck289 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    Hmm, tell me more about the Sigma please. What's the price range like? Quality? Compatible with a Canon? Comparable to the Canon telephotos? Sorry, I am truly brand new to the world of lenses. And SLR's for that matter.

I think they are about $800 new for the non image stabilized version. The one with image stabilization is $1400.
    Ive only read about it, haven't used it. But I hear its a great lens. Im also trying to decide on a fast telephoto. The sigma is less than what a Nikon would cost me.
    I'm sure someone else can tell you about their experiences with the lens.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2011
    Thought of another workable combo for you:

Used 50d ($600-700)
    Tamron 17-50 2.8 ($300-400) - excellent 3rd party lens
    Canon 70-200 2.8 non is ($1000-1200)

2.8 throughout & right around your budget. Only drawback is that the Tamron isn't weather-sealed.

Sigmas can be good lenses, but have a reputation for erratic quality control, meaning they often need to be returned for focusing issues. Ziggy posted about his experiences with that lens in the other thread I linked, I believe (if not there, another recent thread - have a look.)

EDITED TO ADD: Here's the thread dicussing the Sigma 70-200 vs the Canon models
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    Some good advice here, but I will add my two cents.

With a $2K budget, I would not even consider a 7D or anything else in that league. It won't leave you any money for glass.

One comment was:
    If it's just the occasional snapshot, a Rebel might do fine.

I completely disagree. Go to the macro forum on this site, and see what the best people use. Some use expensive cameras. Some use Rebels--and old ones at that. In particular, check the shots and profile of Goldenorfe, the forum monitor. I personally found it helpful to move up from the Rebel line years ago because the ergnomics and controls of the more expensive cameras are much better, but you can get fabulous images from a Rebel. I agree with Divamum that if you want to move up to better controls, a used 50D would be a logical one to consider. I shoot with a 50D now, and while it does not have some of the features of the 7D--in particular, for your uses, it does not have the fabulous autofocus of the 7D--it is a very capable camera.

Given what you want to do, I think glass is going to be your biggest issue. Long, good, and cheap don't usually occur together. I think the key issue is how far away from the subject you want to be, and what focal length you need as a result. It has been years since I shot equestrian events, but I think I might go longer than Divamum suggested--probably 70-200. In that range, there are 5 L Canon options, most very expensive, as well as offerings from Tamron and Sigma. If you decide that is the range you want, post again, because that is a long discussion, and people will have different ideas.

Shot with a Rebel:

1135494574_hfhbL-XL.jpg