DSC1001.jpg

DSC1006.jpg

DSC1010.jpg

DSC1011.jpg

DSC1022w.jpg

DSC1018.jpg

DSC1026001.jpg

DSC1029.jpg

Thanks for looking, It was really a very neat place, and definitely a place to stop overnight, good
food and people.
Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited October 4, 2011
    Those are beautiful, all of them. When we passed through there 7 weeks ago, a lady at the Safari (didn't stay there, though) handed us a brochure with the 57 or so murals that one artist had a hand in creating. I wanted to get shots of many of them but we were scrunched for time and needed to bolt to Amarillo by sunset. Good thing you got those. Brings back the flavor of 66 and of the era.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2011
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Those are beautiful, all of them. When we passed through there 7 weeks ago, a lady at the Safari (didn't stay there, though) handed us a brochure with the 57 or so murals that one artist had a hand in creating. I wanted to get shots of many of them but we were scrunched for time and needed to bolt to Amarillo by sunset. Good thing you got those. Brings back the flavor of 66 and of the era.

Howdy David,

Thanks very much, oddly enough, we stayed at the Safari, brought back so many
    memories of the old days. The Town had a such a good feel and was so friendly to
    folks out of town.

DSC0998.jpg

DSC1003.jpg

DSC1005.jpg

The Boomarang Paintings were done by the same Fellow that painted most all the
    Murals.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited October 5, 2011
    Wow, what a great place. Thanks for sharing. thumb.gif
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2011
    That's pretty impressive street art....the volume alone is a bit overwhelming. Good job on documenting it all for us.thumb.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Wow, what a great place. Thanks for sharing. thumb.gif

Howdy Richard,

Thanks very much, the whole town really had a wonderful feel to it,
    and we met a lot of people along the trip from all over the World
    that were just "Traveling Down Route 66" :D:D:D
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    That's pretty impressive street art....the volume alone is a bit overwhelming. Good job on documenting it all for us.thumb.gif

Tom

Howdy Tom,

It was unbelievable how many neat Murals this fellow has painted, and very
    well. He was just finishing up the last one with the Cowboy when we got into
    town.

Like David said, there are 57 murals all together around town.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 6, 2011
    Excellent study of the murals, Craig. But I'm surprised you haven't mentioned the artist's name.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Excellent study of the murals, Craig. But I'm surprised you haven't mentioned the artist's name.

Howdy Joel,

Thanks very much, I'd
    tried to remember his name
    then Saw it on one of his Murals.

His name is Doug Quarles, his wife I believe also
    paints with him.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    Fine shots. The towns along old Route 66 offer a lot of terrific images. Thanks for posting these.
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2011
    Howdy Craig
    You folks are driving me crazy regretting that in all my years I have only "flown over" that part of the country. I was a teenager in the 50's and early 60's so these images really bring back memories of those GOOD times. (Such a simpler world it seems). I love the 3-D property of #2 and #7. The graphic on the motel room door was a popular theme at that time. My Dad was a cabinet maker and he built me a desk to do my homework on that had a formica top with those quasi triangular doodles (in smaller scale) on it. One of these days I'd like to spend some time out there.

Be Well
    jack

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2011
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Fine shots. The towns along old Route 66 offer a lot of terrific images. Thanks for posting these.

Howdy Don,

Thanks very much, I agree this is just a wonderful part of Americana that is
    actually starting to make a comeback.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2011
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    Howdy Craig
    You folks are driving me crazy regretting that in all my years I have only "flown over" that part of the country. I was a teenager in the 50's and early 60's so these images really bring back memories of those GOOD times. (Such a simpler world it seems). I love the 3-D property of #2 and #7. The graphic on the motel room door was a popular theme at that time. My Dad was a cabinet maker and he built me a desk to do my homework on that had a formica top with those quasi triangular doodles (in smaller scale) on it. One of these days I'd like to spend some time out there.

Be Well
    jack

Howdy Jack,

So good to hear from You, had to laugh about the Pattern, I remember my Mom have a
    set of Dishes with that Design in them :D:D:D

You really need to head out that way and get away from that Bitter Cold of Winter.
    We made two trips out there over the last several months and just loved every minute
    of it. The wide open spaces, the History everywhere you looked, and the people were wonderful!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas