Relaxation in the Park

RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
edited October 15, 2011 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2011
    Great Photo Russ clap.gif

I think it would help if you cropped more off the top to get rid of the distractions.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    www.icurdigital.com
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2011
    This is a repost, right ?

Like the B&W and the leash around his foot.
    Don't like plastic water Jug.
  • Options
    hiroProtagonisthiroProtagonist Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2011
    The combination of the bandana, the leash wrapped around the boot, and the fact that both man and dog look like they dont have a care in the world works brilliantly. I'm OK with the plastic water jug, though it would be interesting to see a version without, but in either case the cars at the top of the picture need to go.
    "But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2011
    Ben, No. It sank down to second or third page, but Chuck commented on it, which brought it back to page 1. I don't like the water jug either, but that's what was there. Take about a minute to remove it with Photoshop, but it's not a good enough picture to make that kind of fussiness worthwhile.

Chuck, One thing you always want with a shot like this is a sense of place. The bench in the background is essential. I do wish the cars hadn't been back there though.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    Chuck, One thing you always want with a shot like this is a sense of place. The bench in the background is essential. I do wish the cars hadn't been back there though.
    Good point about the bench, no easy way to loose the cars without losing the bench
    "But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2011
    Actually, there are several things I can do to at least subdue the cars so they're essentially out of the picture. Right now I'm busier than a cat covering stuff on a tin roof, getting ready to drive to Florida for the winter, but if I get a few minutes I'll take a shot at it. If not, maybe later.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2011
    thanks, it would be intetesting to see how you address the problem, once you have some spare time.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2011
    Okay Protagonist, check the image again. You may have to press F5 to reload the image. The cars are gone. All it took was a little content-aware filling followed by a tiny touchup with the clone brush -- about a two minute job.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2011
    nice
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2011
    Try it again, Protagonist. I got an extra minute and dumped the plastic milk bottle too. The whole mod didn't take more than two minutes. Two content aware fills and a couple touches with the clone brush. You may need to press F5 again to overwrite the copy that's already on your computer.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    Try it again, Protagonist. I got an extra minute and dumped the plastic milk bottle too. The whole mod didn't take more than two minutes. Two content aware fills and a couple touches with the clone brush. You may need to press F5 again to overwrite the copy that's already on your computer.

My "understanding" of street/PJ is that altering of "reality" beyond what was traditionally done in the darkroom is not acceptable. So removing the water jug would be included here... Ditto with the cars.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2011
    Actually I kind liked the water jug.
    rainbow wrote: »
    My "understanding" of street/PJ is that altering of "reality" beyond what was traditionally done in the darkroom is not acceptable. So removing the water jug would be included here... Ditto with the cars.

I think Manuel Alvarez Bravo said it best on the subject of what is acceptable...
    The word 'art' is very slippery. It really has no importance in relation to one's work. I work for the pleasure, for the pleasure of the work, and everything else is a matter for the critics.

I'd buy the argument that PJ should follow the same code of unbiased reporting as any other form of journalism, but street photography is often more about telling a story than reporting an event. The photographer should have the same literary license as as any other story teller.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2011
    rainbow wrote: »

Hi Rainbow, Ever do darkroom work? I could have removed the cars and the jug in my old darkroom without too much trouble. It just would have taken a lot longer, and I'd never have bothered to do that much work for this picture, which I don't think is that good.

But on the other hand, I'm on your side. You'll notice I didn't make any changes at first, only once the comments made me curious to see what the pic would look like without those distractions. I'm still not completely satisfied with the result.

You may have noticed that I don't crop. Actually, I'd have to say I rarely crop. I agree with Cartier-Bresson that you need to compose on the camera and that any modifications to a properly composed picture can only end in disaster. But, since I'm not a fanatic I occasionally straighten, and I occasionally crop to the picture I saw but couldn't get close enough to capture before it would have disappeared.

Keep on shootin...