Options

what kind of head for monopod?

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited November 13, 2011 in Accessories
I am looking at a Gitzo monopod, since my Manfrotto began to fail after 1 yr.

I want a head that is easy and fast to switch from portrait to landscape and easy to work with. Should I be looking at a ballhead? I am a bit klutzy and have little hand strength.

TIA
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited October 31, 2011
    Are you shooting with a lens that has a lens collar? Like a 70-200? Attach to the collar then rotate as needed.

Very few use a head. I shoot with the mono-pod directly attached to the collar myself. However, some do shoot with the Manfrotto 234--it offers tilt only and runs about $30.
    There's definitely a learning curve to using a monopod and I'd suggest trying without a head first.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2011
    As Ian said, most lenses that need a monopod have a lens collar so way too easy to swap from portrait to landscape or any angle in between. So that really isn't an issue.

I opted to change my lens collar feet on both my 70-200vr and 200-400 vr to RRS replacements so I can use their clamps. Though to be honest, I never use a monopod for my 70-200 anymore. Still comes in handy for when I use it on a tripod though.

So that being said, with my Gitzo GM3550 monopod, I have been using a RRS B2 Pro clamp on top of a RRS MH-01 head and simply love it.

It is quite a bit of extra money for all this, but it simply does not fail. It is rock solid and I am able to point down or up a bit rather than leaning the monopod out or in. Kinda nice on those locations that have you on a bit of a hillside to deal with.

While you are at it... I suggest buying an extra set of rubber feet for your monopod. They come in a 3 pack, but very handy to have an extra one when you find out that you lost one in the mud somewhere. ;)
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2011
    I use an older version of the Manfrotto 234. It's tilt only. I can tilt up and down with the head, and do horizontal/vertical stuff with my lens's tripod collar. I've heard that ball heads aren't that great for monopods, because when you untighten it, the camera goes all over the place.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2011
    Ok thank you all for helping clear that up for me !! I love this place !
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    I use an older version of the Manfrotto 234. It's tilt only. I can tilt up and down with the head, and do horizontal/vertical stuff with my lens's tripod collar. I've heard that ball heads aren't that great for monopods, because when you untighten it, the camera goes all over the place.

This, VayCay. It's really the best option... especially if you have a rotating collar as mentioned. Be sure to get the quick release version because they make one without that option too. The one below is what you want.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=554098&Q=&is=REG&A=details

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeyJrZ_97lGGPnMCPdt9RThgWataxYvy3wZ3DjUkb1DezPJHpA
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    This looks like a clone from Manfrotto/Bogen. I use one of them with an arca swiss mounting plate on it. ReallyRightStuff.com sells them.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    elcelc Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    I strongly urge you to consider a monopod other than Gitzo.

The head on my Gitzo carbon fiber monopod failed after very little usage, and Gitzo refuses to repair or replace it except at a cost that is almost as much as what I paid for the monopod. I think since the acquisition they no longer offer the famous Gitzo lifetime warranty, and there are issues in getting them to honor warranties.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited November 13, 2011
    I would try and avoid a quick release. Mostly because I use the RRS plates but also because I tend to carry the camera/lens on the monopod and I really don't want to have the camera fall off the 'pod. That's just me though.

As for the Gitzo vs. Bogen? Gotta say, the Bogen/Manfrotto is a much better value.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »
    I would try and avoid a quick release. Mostly because I use the RRS plates but also because I tend to carry the camera/lens on the monopod and I really don't want to have the camera fall off the 'pod. That's just me though.

I agree.. I don't like the thought of a quick release.

I tend to carry my large lens via the RRS foot with the monopod attached and retracted. Possibly odd, but I feel like I can keep it from bumping into stuff and I just feel safer moving around.

Regardless I still prefer the RRS B2 Pro clamp screw clamp over a quick release. As I said above, I prefer the RRS MH-01 head. Really solid to me, but it is pricey. However considering I am using it to support well over $10,000 in just one body and lens, the price is really not bad at all.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    This, VayCay. It's really the best option... especially if you have a rotating collar as mentioned. Be sure to get the quick release version because they make one without that option too. The one below is what you want.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=554098&Q=&is=REG&A=details

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeyJrZ_97lGGPnMCPdt9RThgWataxYvy3wZ3DjUkb1DezPJHpA

This is the head that is on my Giottos Mono pod (model is actually Giottos P-Pod)...there is a lock on the quick release that is not shown...I have never lost a camera from carrying camera & 70-200 attached to mono pod and hiking several miles with it over my shoulder....I have never had a RC2 quick release come undone on it's own accord ... and I have used them now for over 20 some years......

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website