Options

Right Click Protect

MFAMOTMFAMOT Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 5, 2011 in SmugMug Support
Hey- In my gallery settings I have my box checked for right click protected. It has work up until a few weeks ago. You know, you right click and a box pops up and says, "PAWS OF MY PHOTO" or something like that. :huh Even though I haven't changed a thing in the Gallery Setting and the box is still checked, I can still right click and press save as without any box popping up. :dunno It happened in all my galleries and suddenly the same thing is happening to my three friends that have SM accounts. Anyone else have the problem, that even though the box is checked, it still allows 'save as' and no box to come up?

BTW- I know there is other ways to protect photos and I'm just interested if this feature isn't working for anyone else and what is going on??? Any ideas guys?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    Can you link us right to the gallery in question please? ear.gif
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    I read here not long ago that for journal (old?) style galleries this is broken.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    MFAMOTMFAMOT Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 4, 2011
    Yah...I had old journal. Switched a few over to traditional and sildeshow and right click protected works. Was going to add a "prinkmark/watermark" but gotta be a Pro to get that feature. I'll do my best with right click protected. :) thanks.
  • Options
    shawngsshawngs Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    I'm having the same trouble. I have a gallery that I was hired to shoot for Brooks Brothers. I created a hidden and password protected gallery for them where people from their corporate office could right click and save the photos. I then "collected" all the photos into a public gallery where right click protection is turned on. I can't get it to protect my photos no matter what I do in the settings. Will I have to upload all 233 pictures to the second gallery to be able to have 1 gallery protected and one not protected?

The public gallery is http://www.shawnsharpphotography.com/Event-Photography/Brooks-Brothers-Bow-Tie-Social/19911274_dFvCp7
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2011
    shawngs wrote: »
    I'm having the same trouble. I have a gallery that I was hired to shoot for Brooks Brothers. I created a hidden and password protected gallery for them where people from their corporate office could right click and save the photos. I then "collected" all the photos into a public gallery where right click protection is turned on. I can't get it to protect my photos no matter what I do in the settings. Will I have to upload all 233 pictures to the second gallery to be able to have 1 gallery protected and one not protected?

The public gallery is http://www.shawnsharpphotography.com/Event-Photography/Brooks-Brothers-Bow-Tie-Social/19911274_dFvCp7

Collected photos ALWAYS obey the settings of their original gallery. More on our help pages: http://smu.gs/nXqaqD
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited November 4, 2011
    shawngs wrote: »
    I have a gallery that I was hired to shoot for Brooks Brothers. I created a hidden and password protected gallery for them where people from their corporate office could right click and save the photos. I then "collected" all the photos into a public gallery where right click protection is turned on. I can't get it to protect my photos no matter what I do in the settings.
    As far as I know a collection honors the "protect" and size settings from the original gallery. If you want to make the originals available to your customer but not to other people I believe you will need two "real" galleries.

Are you aware that right click protection is easily bypassed? Your gallery has the originals enabled, so you are essentially making the photos available for free.

See ORIGINALS = a gateway to free photos, & right click protection is NOT PROTECTION.

--- Denise
  • Options
    shawngsshawngs Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll just have to upload them twice... :/ I've actually got several galleries I'll have to do this with.
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    I still have a couple of educational wedding planning galleries that use old journal, and they need the right click protection to work. Is there a reason this change was made? It's really not good to make this sort of alteration and not tell us. I'm more than a little upset with Smugmug right not.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2011
    smurfy wrote: »
    I still have a couple of educational wedding planning galleries that use old journal, and they need the right click protection to work. Is there a reason this change was made? It's really not good to make this sort of alteration and not tell us. I'm more than a little upset with Smugmug right not.
    It's a bug, we'll fix it. Sorry for the hassle :( It is also only a 450px version of your image - not to say we won't fix it but it can't be printed and if someone wanted to copy it, any number of free screen grabbers would get them the same image.
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    Yes, I just lowered the max size in the settings after reading this.

Thank you for the update, Andy.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    smurfy wrote: »
    Yes, I just lowered the max size in the settings after reading this.

Thank you for the update, Andy.

But you don't have to :) Images in Lightbox are protected, it's only the on-gallery page Small sizes right now, we'll fix it...