Options

Marking photos with Canon 7D

photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
edited November 5, 2011 in Cameras
I am taking photos of a football game Friday night and want to mark certain photos as the game goes on so they are the only ones downloaded to my computer for editing. Is there is way to mark photos using the Canon 7D?

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    I wish, Just like I wish canon would make a camera other than a 1D with voice annotation so I don't have to write down specific information about a play...
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    Are you talking about inputting copyright / photographer info in the metadata? Unfortunately, you need a Nikon for that. ;-)

(Or, a 1-series Canon, to be fair)

I'm betting Canon will step it up in a generation or so, since the competition is getting pretty steep and Canon's marketing department will not be able to hold hostage such features much longer. Maybe the 7D mk2 will even have a built-in intervalometer!

(BTW, sorry if I sounded like an ass. I'm actually a nice guy when it comes to "brand wars". I shoot both...)
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    photodad1 wrote: »
    I am taking photos of a football game Friday night and want to mark certain photos as the game goes on so they are the only ones downloaded to my computer for editing. Is there is way to mark photos using the Canon 7D?

Thanks,

Chris

You can tag images and filter them out either in camera or Bridge/Lightroom after using the Protect Images feature on the images you want to keep.

In camera, select the Delete All option, and it will only delete unprotected images and leave the protected keepers on the card. Via Bridge/LR, select all the images, click delete, and the non protected images will be tagged as rejected. Then you can filter the rejects out and delete them. Sometimes it doesn't tag them all the first time, but keep re-selecting the images and hit delete and it'll resume rejecting the unprotected images.

In field if you're in a jam for more space, protecting the keepers and selecting delete all is handy so you can sweep the junk out and keep shooting. Performance suffers with lots of rewriting, but if you're in a jam, its a good backup plan to know about. I added the Protect Images option to my custom menu since I use it regularly.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    The 7D let's you make an arbitrary string to embed as copyright info. 9th menu from the left, "Copyright Information"
    Are you talking about inputting copyright / photographer info in the metadata? Unfortunately, you need a Nikon for that. ;-)
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    You can "lock" the ones you know you want to keep (it's in the menu settings - don't have the camera here and don't remember where, but it's there). It's pretty much the same as marking them.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 4, 2011
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    The 7D let's you make an arbitrary string to embed as copyright info. 9th menu from the left, "Copyright Information"
    Every camera including and since my 20D has had that ability.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Every camera including and since my 20D has had that ability.

I have the 5D Mark II and it does not have copyright info abilities
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    Yet again, Canon's marketing department wins over the voice of photographers. It is encouraging, though, to think that both the 7D and the 60D have Copyright information, because that leads me to believe that the 5D mk3 (or 5DX?) might have more of these features as well.

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2011
    Yet again, Canon's marketing department wins over the voice of photographers. It is encouraging, though, to think that both the 7D and the 60D have Copyright information, because that leads me to believe that the 5D mk3 (or 5DX?) might have more of these features as well.

=Matt=

Yes its a time-based thing not just model line. I'm pretty sure they'll add it to most/all future DSLRs.
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    Canon doesn't want to produce the best still camera...
    I wish, Just like I wish canon would make a camera other than a 1D with voice annotation so I don't have to write down specific information about a play...

Canon doesn't want to produce the best still camera... It wants to produce the best selling morphidite still/video camera with print from camera capability and a swinging LCD. To compete with Nikon's equally morphidite selections.

However, I do use the video capability of my 7D as a note pad for recording information about my stills. That is the only way I use the video...
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    What about the DPOF (digital print order format)? Would that be able to be read by software to easily filter? I am asking not suggesting
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    Now at home and checked it on the camera: 5th menu tab across> "Protect images". Mark the ones you want, and only upload those. Easy peasy.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 4, 2011
    Oh yes it does. Check page 46 of your instruction manual.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Oh yes it does. Check page 46 of your instruction manual.

Ahhhh... I read every page of the manual when I got the camera but I guess I really wasn't paying attention. Well, you can't input the info in the camera anyhow if you try menu-searching, and that's what I did later to find if I could copyright stuff. I was so wrong. :help

I wish I knew this earlier! But wait, I did know it earlier. Damn and blast! Re-learning forgotten information. Am I getting old? eek7.gif

Well, I've got to get a jump on importing that copyright info now.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    Ahhhh... I read every page of the manual when I got the camera but I guess I really wasn't paying attention. Well, you can't input the info in the camera anyhow if you try menu-searching, and that's what I did later to find if I could copyright stuff. I was so wrong. :help

I wish I knew this earlier! But wait, I did know it earlier. Damn and blast! Re-learning forgotten information. Am I getting old? eek7.gif

Well, I've got to get a jump on importing that copyright info now.

Oh, is it something you have to do on that Canon software thingie? Cause I *KNOW* it is not in a menu like the rest of the cameras that have it as an option...

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    BTW, one other thing that is promising from Canon, for future models- I heard that the 60D actually lets you apply star rankings, or some sort of ranking, that Lightroom itself will actually read. THAT is cool, and very promising for future generations. As long as Canon is in the mood to make the 5D mk3 kick butt, instead of strategically limiting certain features to encourage upgrading to more expensive cameras. ;-)

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    Oh, is it something you have to do on that Canon software thingie? Cause I *KNOW* it is not in a menu like the rest of the cameras that have it as an option...

=Matt=

Correct. You can do it via canon software.

I tend to ignore bundled software since in the computer world most of it sucks and is only supplementary. This isn't the computer world though, its camera world :D That was my goof up.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2011
    Correct. You can do it via canon software.

I tend to ignore bundled software since in the computer world most of it sucks and is only supplementary. This isn't the computer world though, its camera world :D That was my goof up.

Yeah, I hate having to adopt new things just because the manufacturer says so. I mean I'm a huge geek and I love technology, most of the time, but I'm also a HUGE opponent of "change for the sake of change" and companies who force things on you subtly. Like the whole RAW file format thing, I mean seriously. If Canon and Nikon REALLY wanted to, they could easily find a way to make each new RAW format compatible with the current generation of processing software. Instead, every time a new camera comes out the early adopters are stuck either shooting JPG or using the proprietary software, for a few weeks / months before an Adobe etc. update comes out. Adobe has gotten pretty quick at it, but I definitely feel sorry for the others out there who use programs that don't get updated as soon. Either way it's all pretty lame.

I guess this is the wave of the future though, so I better start getting on board if I want to stay current... I can only imagine what crazy things they'll have thought of in 5-10 years...

=Matt=