sheryl-028-XL.jpg

sheryl-030-XL.jpg

sheryl-034-XL.jpg

sheryl-050-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    Nice series. The first two don't really work for me, but I like the middle of the series most. My non-professional take flavored by personal preferences...

1. Looks distorted, like from a WA lens?
    2. The distortions bother me here too. She looks fine here, but she is leaning a bit to the right and the house to the left. I sort of wish there was either a bunch more or a bunch less hair over her eye.
    3. Nice. Framing idea is good. If you had a longer lens, you could have pulled back and had her in the frame. But then that might not have been your goal...
    4. Like this one, except that the flare/haze feels artificial. There is hard line of haze. Is that natural or PS'ed in? The harsh transition pulls my eye away.
    5. I really like this one. Slightly tilted (for me I'd rather see big tilt or no tilt). The other issue I have here is how the sun/sky processed out. The sky and sun seem to have clamping issues and lost their smooth transitions.
    6. thumb.gif. Really love it. Minor nit... Can you clone out the car?
    7. Lots to like here as well. Minor nit... Can you lighten up under her eyes?
    8. The hair (and the shadows cast by it) on the face isn't helping here. Light looks really nice.
    9. The super WA isn't working for me. Also you ended up with almost all of her (minus a couple of toes).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    Wow I like Sheryl and have never met her. She has a serious aura about her.
    I am not going to critique the technicals on these....because I just like them....
    Nice work...great model.
    My favorite is 8.....yeah there are some technical issues with it...don't care :).
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    Very good exercise with speedlights (flash). Both the night by day effects and others are pleasing to look at. There is however one Photo that sticks out #4 mainly due to the pose. The others I do really like, beautiful smile and eyes.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    Well done Jon. I like the last one best. She looks like a fun gal to work with.
  • Options
    garratt15agarratt15a Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    Wow !
  • Options
    B JoynerB Joyner Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    6 and 7 are the standouts for me. I really like 7 the best.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Nice series. The first two don't really work for me, but I like the middle of the series most. My non-professional take flavored by personal preferences...

1. Looks distorted, like from a WA lens?
    2. The distortions bother me here too. She looks fine here, but she is leaning a bit to the right and the house to the left. I sort of wish there was either a bunch more or a bunch less hair over her eye.
    3. Nice. Framing idea is good. If you had a longer lens, you could have pulled back and had her in the frame. But then that might not have been your goal...
    4. Like this one, except that the flare/haze feels artificial. There is hard line of haze. Is that natural or PS'ed in? The harsh transition pulls my eye away.
    5. I really like this one. Slightly tilted (for me I'd rather see big tilt or no tilt). The other issue I have here is how the sun/sky processed out. The sky and sun seem to have clamping issues and lost their smooth transitions.
    6. thumb.gif. Really love it. Minor nit... Can you clone out the car?
    7. Lots to like here as well. Minor nit... Can you lighten up under her eyes?
    8. The hair (and the shadows cast by it) on the face isn't helping here. Light looks really nice.
    9. The super WA isn't working for me. Also you ended up with almost all of her (minus a couple of toes).

Thanks for the detailed critique. On 1, a 50mm was used. On 4, the flare is natural as i wasn't using a hood on the 50 mm. In regards to the use of WA lens, the people who see my work request those shots and Sheryl likes the distortions and all the problems inherent with shooting WA and portraits.

I actually like the the other nitpicks you point out. Like in 5, the sky was mostly blown out and the background was in shadows. I wanted to give a hyper reality for her surroundings so I went over the top on the backgrouds while leaving her untouched.
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    I love #4!
    on #5, she has an aura/halo around her entire body.. I don't know if that's from PP or the natural sun on her backside. It's boggling my mind.

woops, just saw your last post about #5!
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    cupiccupic Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    My fav's #2 #5 #9 is a good cross section TFS

cheers
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    babowc wrote: »
    I love #4!
    on #5, she has an aura/halo around her entire body.. I don't know if that's from PP or the natural sun on her backside. It's boggling my mind.

woops, just saw your last post about #5!

Thanks, the halo is there naturally, I just played around with the backgrounds more. Here is the original.
    sheryl-026-XL.jpg
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    jonh68 wrote: »
    Thanks, the halo is there naturally, I just played around with the backgrounds more. Here is the original.

Look just above her head in the edit. There is some noticeable space where the original sky is still dominant. That said, you indicated you were going for a more surreal look in this one, so it can play into your goal here.

I do love your recovery of the b/g in the image here. Seeing the before/after is instructive.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2011
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Look just above her head in the edit. There is some noticeable space where the original sky is still dominant. That said, you indicated you were going for a more surreal look in this one, so it can play into your goal here.

I do love your recovery of the b/g in the image here. Seeing the before/after is instructive.

Ok, notice it now. The buildings were masked off and I used topaz adjust/psychedelic preset with NR. I masked off the the sky in a separate edit to recover some of blown highlights.
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    Overall nice work Jon, plus you're playing right in my yard with outdoor speedlights.

# 1 doesn't work for me.

#2 is my dead favorite of the set.

I also like 3, 5 and 9 although in # 3 you might have softened the flash just a bit.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen