Options

7Dvs 70-200 2.8L

RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
edited January 18, 2012 in Cameras
I have the money set aside to get one or the other however I am torn on which to get first. Current body is a 30D I have had since first release with 4k click on it (life kept me from shooting). I know glass is the most important but it can also be rented. I am currently taking a photography coarse from Colorado Art Institute and they ask that I do at a latter point have a camera capable of video. At the moment though Im looking to upgrade one or the other, Thank for any opinions.
BMW Tech
Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM

Comments

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    Which lenses do you already own? Maybe a 7D+ 85mm 1.8 is a good alternative to a 70-200 IF you don't need the 70-200 as bad as a new DSLR? On the other hand video cameras can also be rented.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2011
    Sigma EX DC 18-50
    Canon 75-300 cheapo
    Canon 50 1.8
    I will be shooting a lot of motorcycle racing this coming year away from school plus the dof control and distance would be nice to have a good lens for.
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    I have a 20D and now a 7D, I also have the 70-200L f 2.8 IS.....I'd rather shoot my 20D with the 70-200, than the 7D with a 75-300 el cheapo.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2011
    I was thinking the same but was also figuring in the possibility of renting a lens and enjoying the ability to crop a bit more with newer better sensor. However with a new version of the 7d due this year value over time would defiantly be the lens.
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    Papy wrote: »
    I was thinking the same but was also figuring in the possibility of renting a lens and enjoying the ability to crop a bit more with newer better sensor. However with a new version of the 7d due this year value over time would defiantly be the lens.

Value over time is always with the lens, assuming it's a good lens!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    Jeffro wrote: »
    I have a 20D and now a 7D, I also have the 70-200L f 2.8 IS.....I'd rather shoot my 20D with the 70-200, than the 7D with a 75-300 el cheapo.

Yeah, but I'd rather have my Sigma 50-150 2.8 and a 7D, than any less body and a 70-200 2.8...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    Yeah, but I'd rather have my Sigma 50-150 2.8 and a 7D, than any less body and a 70-200 2.8...

=Matt=

I don't think that was one of his options, and I'm not sure 150mm would give him the reach he's looking for. But I too would rather shoot with my 7D and any quality 2.8 lens than with a cheapo 3.5-4.5 variable f stop, zoom.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    Jeffro wrote: »
    I don't think that was one of his options, and I'm not sure 150mm would give him the reach he's looking for. But I too would rather shoot with my 7D and any quality 2.8 lens than with a cheapo 3.5-4.5 variable f stop, zoom.

I would agree that for very telephoto work such as motorcycle racing, 70-200 might be more useful than 50-150, however indeed I would still rather have the 7D versus the 30D, as long as the lens is f/2.8. I haven't shot racing that much, though.

=Matt=
  • Options
    pmaxwellpmaxwell Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    I would agree that for very telephoto work such as motorcycle racing, 70-200 might be more useful than 50-150, however indeed I would still rather have the 7D versus the 30D, as long as the lens is f/2.8. I haven't shot racing that much, though.

=Matt=

perhaps a pairing of the 7D and the 70-200 F4 non-IS is a good compromise. In good light outdoors, the F4 is a sweet lens and the non-IS version is very reasonably priced.
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2011
    That has also been a thought with the f4 lens but I have came to the conclusion I only want to buy the lens once so the 2.8 is needed. I can wave the Image stabilization due to it effects panning shots so it is not needed. Looks like it is just about 50/50 with everybody lol.
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    pmaxwell wrote: »
    perhaps a pairing of the 7D and the 70-200 F4 non-IS is a good compromise. In good light outdoors, the F4 is a sweet lens and the non-IS version is very reasonably priced.

To make your decision harder I like this option as well. I prefer the 70-200 f4L over the 2.8. I have the 70-200 f4L IS. Price wasn't that big of a deciding factor vs it or the 2.8. I was wanting a general purpose shooting lens that would be used for doing family shots, portraits, family action shots, as well as action shots of rc (remote control) cars. At >150mm and 2.8 the dof was just simply too shallow to be very useful on the rc cars unless the focus was perfect. A difficult feat on a 3 ft long object going 35+ mph in unpredictable directions. Even when just right, still not enough dof to prevent the awesome bokeh from blurring parts I wanted sharp unless zoomed out then cropped. I wouldn't find myself using it wider than f4 anyway. Combined with the much lighter weight of the f4 and I chose it. I still find myself shooting narrower than wide open 90% of the time when light allows.

IS spoiled me doing portraits. That off switch is so much easier to flip for panning.

Not great pics. Just quick examples of what I meant where 2.8 is simply too wide.

http://www.willsjunk.com/Other/RC/i-Kzz9VKJ/0/L/IMG4909-L.jpg

http://www.willsjunk.com/Other/RC/i-2FndP65/0/L/IMG3684-L.jpg
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2011
    If you need a camera that does video, you no long have a choice.
    The 30D is not going to do video.
    It looks like the 7D is going for about $1400.

For that money, you could get a Canon T3i with an 18mp chip and HD video, a Canon 70-200 F4 lens, and if you can find one used,
    a Canon 1.4 tc that will get you a bit closer for the motorcycle shots.

I have this camera, I think it's a good tool, but you won't get the speed from it like you would from the 7D.
    I will say that the T3i is fairly new to me, so I'm not sure how it will do in servo mode.
    That said, I've had a Canon 300D, 30D, 400D, 450D, 7D, 5DMKII, and I haven't missed many shots because the focusing system wasn't good enough.

I think the 3 big downfalls from the 7D to the T3i are:

1 no K option for white balance.
    2 no 1/3 stops for setting the iso. (full stops only)
    3 the frames per second rate.

The 3 things I think are better with the T3i over the 7D:

1 tilting screen. I really like the fact that I can flip it over when the camera is not in use.
    2 smaller, lighter, and with a grip, very stable and comfortable in my hand.
    3 SD cards. Just about every computer has a slot for these. The card adaptor can stay at home.

If you go the lens route, and forgo the video, I'd suggest looking at the Canon 70-300L or a 100-400L lens.
    They aren't the fastest lenses, but they have reach.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    Damon016Damon016 Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    Canon 7D plus 70-200 2.8is is the ultimate combo for every day stuff! Just do it! :)
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2011
    Damon016 wrote: »
    Canon 7D plus 70-200 2.8is is the ultimate combo for every day stuff! Just do it! :)

For telephoto sports action, yes it's the ultimate combo. But for "every day stuff"? Hardly, considering the weight, size, focal range, and price. Such a combo would be obtrusive and attention-getting, and limiting for close-quarters candid work. And personally, price does indeed play a role for me because I just don't want to go everywhere with $3K+ worth of equipment.

Which is why I recommended the 7D and the Sigma 50-150 2.8, for "every day stuff"... The sigma is way lighter, smaller, and therefore less conspicuous, plus the focal range is RIGHT for general candids and portraits.

To those who haven't tried the combo and 70-200 2.8 is all you've ever used- you probably won't be able to relate to this feeling / preference I have. That's fine, I'm just saying that it's been my personal favorite among crop sensor kits.

Someone who shoots exclusively or mostly telephoto sports will surely want to opt for a 70-200 instead, because reach is everything in that scene. But in everyday shooting, reach is NOT everything. Just wanted to bring that up...

=Matt=
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    Sigma lists the 50-150 lens as discontinued and refers to the 50-200 as a replacement, but it doesn't seem to be the same quality of lens. There doesn't seem to be any other 50-150 on their site.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/50-150mm-f28-ex-dc-apo-hsm-ii-sigma

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/50-200mm-f4-56-dc-os-hsm-sigma

For telephoto sports action, yes it's the ultimate combo. But for "every day stuff"? Hardly, considering the weight, size, focal range, and price. Such a combo would be obtrusive and attention-getting, and limiting for close-quarters candid work. And personally, price does indeed play a role for me because I just don't want to go everywhere with $3K+ worth of equipment.

Which is why I recommended the 7D and the Sigma 50-150 2.8, for "every day stuff"... The sigma is way lighter, smaller, and therefore less conspicuous, plus the focal range is RIGHT for general candids and portraits.

To those who haven't tried the combo and 70-200 2.8 is all you've ever used- you probably won't be able to relate to this feeling / preference I have. That's fine, I'm just saying that it's been my personal favorite among crop sensor kits.

Someone who shoots exclusively or mostly telephoto sports will surely want to opt for a 70-200 instead, because reach is everything in that scene. But in everyday shooting, reach is NOT everything. Just wanted to bring that up...

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2011
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    Sigma lists the 50-150 lens as discontinued and refers to the 50-200 as a replacement, but it doesn't seem to be the same quality of lens. There doesn't seem to be any other 50-150 on their site.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/50-150mm-f28-ex-dc-apo-hsm-ii-sigma

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/50-200mm-f4-56-dc-os-hsm-sigma

Indeed, don't I know it! Since 2007 I've been turning people onto this lens, and they've all loved it. Within the past year, everybody has been scouring the internet for used models

Sooner or later, the OS version will be available, but I still think it's a shame that they've discontinued this lens. It is in such high demand now, I don't know why they discontinued it in the first place. Probably because they wanted to sell more of these: (except it's been almost a year and they still haven't hit the shelves!)

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/50-150mm-f28-ex-dc-os-hsm-sigma

=Matt=
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    Indeed, don't I know it! Since 2007 I've been turning people onto this lens, and they've all loved it. Within the past year, everybody has been scouring the internet for used models

Sooner or later, the OS version will be available, but I still think it's a shame that they've discontinued this lens. It is in such high demand now, I don't know why they discontinued it in the first place. Probably because they wanted to sell more of these: (except it's been almost a year and they still haven't hit the shelves!)

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/50-150mm-f28-ex-dc-os-hsm-sigma

=Matt=

$0 MSRP, nice mwink.gif
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2011
    I was really happy when I went from the XSi to the 7D. It was such a huge improvement in all areas for me that I could easily cope with shooting the 28-135mm and the 50mm 1.8. You can always rent the lens. I guess it just comes down to what you really want, but I think a body improvement (especially to a professional piece of equipment like the 7D) is a big step that shows commitment to photography.

My weird thoughts on the matter.
  • Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2011
    I think love my Canon 7D. I shoot a lot of sports and the 19 auto focus points really come in handy.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2011
    Well with dropping prices for the holidays and the replacement of the 7D due within 6 months I am now the proud owner of a 70-200 2.8L however, with 100% crop tests I can't tell a massive amount of difference on my test with a speedlight in my house at ISO 200 125s 8.0 other than some vinyeting and even that was minimal.
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited December 10, 2011
    Well with dropping prices for the holidays and the replacement of the 7D due within 6 months I am now the proud owner of a 70-200 2.8L however, with 100% crop tests I can't tell a massive amount of difference on my test with a speedlight in my house at ISO 200 125s 8.0 other than some vinyeting and even that was minimal.

Congratulations on the new lens. clap.gif

Try the new lens wide open versus your old lens wide open. You should see a significant difference in image quality.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2011
    Consider a refurbished 60D from Canon for $679 http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_276387_-1

AND

a refurbished 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii from Canon for $1,700 http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_275764_-1

Total $2,369

A new 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens from B&H in NYC will cost you $2,069 until January 7, 2012 when the price will revert to $2,369. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680103-USA/Canon_2751B002_EF_70_200mm_f_2_8L_IS.html
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2012
    Well all things lined up and the replacement of the 7D not due until october time frame from what I hear I am now the new owner of a 7D.
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    Nice to hear Rev!!! I just sold my 60D, got the 7D refurb and I dont regret it all! I LOVE this camera. I like you now am hunting the zoom - though I dont know if I should get the 100-400 or the 70-200 - I hate choices....