Options

Reflection in a Merc

bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
edited January 7, 2012 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    Now that is a fantastic shot ! you could park that in the office of a C.E.O. thumb.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited January 2, 2012
    Great way to start the new year, Ben. It's a beaut. clap.gif
  • Options
    macgartmacgart Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2012
    I really like this shot. Simple but evocative.
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    I hate to be the guy who tosses a problem into the punchbowl but would someone please explain to me WHY they think this is either a good street shot or a good example of photojournalism? I can agree that it's a fun example of a reflection, but...
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    Ben captured a good street shot simply because it's life as it happens on the street. A moment preserved in time which I'd tend to think made everyone who looked at it actually study it to see what was going on. Not only is it "...a fun reflection", but the composition of that reflection is incredible in that you really have to think to comprehend if the driver is in or out of the vehicle.

It's real. It's life. It made you think. It's street.

• Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    Took a second look to figure out that he is a reflection and that the steering wheel is facing away. I like the window curve being mimicked by the branch reflection, too.
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    I hate to be the guy who tosses a problem into the punchbowl but would someone please explain to me WHY they think this is either a good street shot or a good example of photojournalism? I can agree that it's a fun example of a reflection, but...

Abstract : is one of the 5 most popular types of street photography.

This type of street photography does not record the strict description of an event in time, but the feeling of it. Reflections, blurs, shadows, colors, …, are used to project you in a place where time and location are undefined. The human element of these pictures is often abstract, be it silhouettes, forms or simply the feel of it. These pictures are extremely difficult to craft since it often calls for a perfect balance between subject and composition. The biggest drawback of this type of street photography is that 95% of the time, it will not be understood by your peers, making it very difficult to produce consistently good images.. Here is a link for you http://www.yanidel.net/2011/10/05/the-five-popular-types-of-street-photography/
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2012
    It's OK to praise our fellow photographers :-)

But I do agree with Russ.

And no, I like Saul Leiter, this is not it.

Sorry.
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited January 4, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    As you probably know by now, I couldn't care less about taxonomy. The image itself is the only thing that matters to me, not what category it belongs to. Aside from the coolness of the old car itself, this one has stuff to look at on four separate planes: the exterior reflection behind the camera, the exterior of the car, the interior of the car and the background on the far side of the car. The reflected face is close enough to the driver position that one can imagine him behind the wheel, even though he's not. So it's an image one can explore with pleasure.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2012
    Critiques?
    Richard, my first question is: if, as you say, you couldn't care less about taxonomy why is this forum called "Street & PJ" instead of something like "Personal Snapshots?" You say you don't care what category a picture belongs to, but "Street & PJ," the forum you moderate, names two categories.

My next question is this: Is there supposed to be a critiquing element in Street & PJ? There seem to be only two or three of us on here willing to speak a discouraging word, and when we do there's usually a violent reaction because some people think we're insulting the poster.

Let's take Ben's "Reflections in a Merc" as an example. When I question one of Ben's posts, I'm not questioning or insulting Ben. Ben's a damn good photographer -- one of the best on here, but nobody -- nobody -- not HCB, not Elliott Erwitt, not Robert Frank, not Walker Evans, or even all four working full days on the street together could possibly produce good street or photojournalistic photographs at the rate Ben posts pictures. So, logically one might assume that some of Ben's posts might be less than top-notch. I'm out with a camera most days, and even when I try very hard to cull intelligently, when I look back I find that some of my posts are sub-par. It's a normal part of human nature to over-rate your latest product. The thing you just finished usually seems the best thing you've done yet, especially if it involved hard work or unusual luck.

Now, I don't have a problem with people posting sub-par pictures. What I do have a problem with is a sub-par picture -- my own or anybody else's -- that nobody questions. But that's based on the assumption that I'm posting on a forum where some critiquing is going on. If there's no intent to critique then there's no problem. Anything goes.

There's an interesting approach to that problem on Luminous Landscape. In the "User Critiques" forum there's one thread, which at last look had 631 replies and 30,816 views, titled "Without Prejudice." "User Critiques" is a forum for people to critique other people's pictures, and the criticism can be very helpful, especially when the critique goes straight to the point and doesn't try to spare the poster's feelings. I've learned some important things about landscape photography, which I'm still not very good at, by having some of the capable landscape people come down hard on my flubs. But "Without Prejudice" is a thread where anybody can dump any kind of picture, and criticism is ruled out.

If the rule on "Street & PJ" is "Without Prejudice," okay, but let's say so right up front so that a beginner who wants to learn street photography doesn't come here because of the forum's title and believe that stuff that falls short and isn't critiqued is good street photography. As I said in my response to the latest message in which you almost kicked me off, perpetual uplift only works well in brassieres. Effective criticism can't all be sweetness and light: "good shot," or"+1."
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2012
    Can we give this debate, and endless lecturing, a rest? Most people here are here for fun. Let people have fun. Does that mean that if a photo sucks we should say it's good? Of course not. But this endless 'let me tell you why this is not street photography or photo journalism' has really gotten to be a pain in the butt . When I google various names of the lecturers here I do not find anything, anywhere, suggesting the possession of special expertise . So please, can we drop it for a while? Sure, it's great to point to articles, exhibits, and work by the greats of photo journalism and street photography; we can all improve, we can only improve, by looking at photos. But the lectures? Not really.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2012
    Thanks, BD. That answers my question.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2012
    Let's take Ben's "Reflections in a Merc" as an example. When I question one of Ben's posts, I'm not questioning or insulting Ben. Ben's a damn good photographer -- one of the best on here, but nobody -- nobody -- not HCB, not Elliott Erwitt, not Robert Frank, not Walker Evans, or even all four working full days on the street together could possibly produce good street or photojournalistic photographs at the rate Ben posts pictures. So, logically one might assume that some of Ben's posts might be less than top-notch. I'm out with a camera most days, and even when I try very hard to cull intelligently, when I look back I find that some of my posts are sub-par. It's a normal part of human nature to over-rate your latest product. The thing you just finished usually seems the best thing you've done yet, especially if it involved hard work or unusual luck.

Wow my name in the same sentence as all those greats, Thanks.
    Never feel insulted Russ, honest.

Maybe I just have an abundance of luck mwink.gif
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2012
    I am the weirdo. I learn a lot by seeing what other people say about a photograph. I mean, I have my own assessment of course, but I feel that my eyes have benefited from critiques both on my photos and other people's photos.
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    Now that is a fantastic shot ! you could park that in the office of a C.E.O. thumb.gif
    Richard wrote: »
    Great way to start the new year, Ben. It's a beaut. clap.gif
    macgart wrote: »
    I really like this shot. Simple but evocative.
    Molsondog wrote: »
    Totally agree. 15524779-Ti.gif

Thanks Folks.
    Macgart, saw your post on "People" post here anytime.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2012
    richardman wrote: »
    It's OK to praise our fellow photographers :-)

But I do agree with Russ.

And no, I like Saul Leiter, this is not it.

Sorry.
    richardman wrote: »
    I am the weirdo. I learn a lot by seeing what other people say about a photograph. I mean, I have my own assessment of course, but I feel that my eyes have benefited from critiques both on my photos and other people's photos.

Yes Richard, it is a "Benjamin" not a "Leiter".
    I do believe in emulation, not mimicking.

Also no need to ever be Sorry with me mwink.gif
    Lastly, Weirdo? You are Preaching to the Choir :ivar
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2012
    M38A1 wrote: »
    Ben captured a good street shot simply because it's life as it happens on the street. A moment preserved in time which I'd tend to think made everyone who looked at it actually study it to see what was going on. Not only is it "...a fun reflection", but the composition of that reflection is incredible in that you really have to think to comprehend if the driver is in or out of the vehicle.

It's real. It's life. It made you think. It's street.

rainbow wrote: »
    Took a second look to figure out that he is a reflection and that the steering wheel is facing away. I like the window curve being mimicked by the branch reflection, too.
    lensmole wrote: »
    Abstract : is one of the 5 most popular types of street photography.

This type of street photography does not record the strict description of an event in time, but the feeling of it. Reflections, blurs, shadows, colors, …, are used to project you in a place where time and location are undefined. The human element of these pictures is often abstract, be it silhouettes, forms or simply the feel of it. These pictures are extremely difficult to craft since it often calls for a perfect balance between subject and composition. The biggest drawback of this type of street photography is that 95% of the time, it will not be understood by your peers, making it very difficult to produce consistently good images.. Here is a link for you http://www.yanidel.net/2011/10/05/the-five-popular-types-of-street-photography/
    Richard wrote: »
    As you probably know by now, I couldn't care less about taxonomy. The image itself is the only thing that matters to me, not what category it belongs to. Aside from the coolness of the old car itself, this one has stuff to look at on four separate planes: the exterior reflection behind the camera, the exterior of the car, the interior of the car and the background on the far side of the car. The reflected face is close enough to the driver position that one can imagine him behind the wheel, even though he's not. So it's an image one can explore with pleasure.

Thank You big time for this.
    I don't know how much it well help Russ see the light rolleyes1.gif but ............
    it sure helps me now and in the future when seeking fresh goods thumb.gifs
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2012
    I like it Benjamin.

Part of an earlier series no?

I'm drawn to this character, the ride and the palm tree(?) reflections.

say Ben, are you anywhere near Miami?
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2012
    I like it Benjamin.

Part of an earlier series no?

I'm drawn to this character, the ride and the palm tree(?) reflections.

say Ben, are you anywhere near Miami?

Thanks
    Yes but a current capture

Good God NO, that would put way to close to our beloved HarryB !! :wow

I'm way on the correct Coast of Sunny California :D
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2012
    bfjr wrote: »
    Thanks
    Yes but a current capture

Good God NO, that would put way to close to our beloved HarryB !! :wow

I'm way on the correct Coast of Sunny California :D

oops:)
    Will be in Miami next month and was going to try and juggle the kids for a meetup.
    Though I frequently street shoot when I have them too.

I guess it's a long drive for yourolleyes1.gif.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2012
    oops:)
    Will be in Miami next month and was going to try and juggle the kids for a meetup.
    Though I frequently street shoot when I have them too.

I guess it's a long drive for yourolleyes1.gif.

Or for YOU ! rolleyes1.gif
    dang that's two meetups I've blown in last two days !

Maybe someday Maybe someday