Options

DSS 93 - Old Friends, Best Friends (47+ years)

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
edited January 9, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Did another photo shoot today with neighbors who are about to celebrate their 47th wedding anniversary. It would be great to have your input on these shots and my tentative titles. As an aside, the husband joked that he had "always wanted to be a hand model" - thinking back to the Seinfeld episode....

Possible Titles:

We'll grow old together...
Old Friends, Best Friends
Friends Forever (48+ years)

1a. Old Friends, Best Friends (current entry)
i-GKTk5vZ-L.jpg

2a. "We'll grow old together..."
i-667SWqS-L.jpg

1b.
i-rb7bSQ8-L.jpg

2b.
i-49sFkgM-L.jpg

Thank you,
Gretchen

Comments

• Options
    edited January 8, 2012
    Noticing that these hands look pretty good/young for 47+ years of marriage! Partly the way I lit #1 but I'm guessing that they may have married in their early 20s.
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2012
    I like 2a best. I love shooting hands, they have such a story to tell.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    indiegirl wrote: »
    I like 2a best. I love shooting hands, they have such a story to tell.

Thanks for your input on these. This was a new experience for me....
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    Here are a few more shots of the hands. This kind of photoshoot and bw processing are both somewhat new to me, so any input is welcome.

Thanks,
    Gretchen

3a.
    i-nQBZqv5-L.jpg

3b.
    i-6Z6fs4F-L.jpg

i-pwkXwnH-L.jpg
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    I like 2a mostly because it shows so much more of the subject matter. The others could work, but I don't think they offer as much as 2a. In 2a I think you need to work with the highs/lows of the contrast/light. I think this same photo could be worked a bit to accentuate the overall scene.

I rarely suggest titles on already titled pieces, but this one says: "My Friend" to me.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    angevin1 wrote: »
    I like 2a mostly because it shows so much more of the subject matter. The others could work, but I don't think they offer as much as 2a. In 2a I think you need to work with the highs/lows of the contrast/light. I think this same photo could be worked a bit to accentuate the overall scene.

I rarely suggest titles on already titled pieces, but this one says: "My Friend" to me.

Thank you for your helpful input! Do either of this take this image in the direction you were suggesting as far as contrast/light? I can work on them a bit more later today but wanted to take a quick stab at tweaking them.

Gretchen

2c.
    i-Pdnx7WM-L.jpg

2d.
    i-P8Xnm2J-L.jpg
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    Yes Gretchen I do. I do think bringing out that lovely fabric is a good subtle addition. I really like that last one comparatively.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    Thanks for your feedback on my tweaks. Much appreciated!
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    As I get ready to head home from work, I thought I'd see how these look on another monitor. Surprised to see how dark they are.... Good reminder to check these on another monitor before entering, especially if they are tending toward being dark overall.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2012
    I agree with Tom - the last is the best. Nice work!
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2012
    WhatSheSaw, thanks for commenting!

I entered the last one after cleaning up some of the salt or sugar crystals in the foreground.