Options

How do I make a category "Unlisted"?

MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited January 13, 2012 in SmugMug Support
I have searched this forum but couldn't find any useful information. I have several Categories that I would like to remove from public access but not delete the images within. Each category is a softball tournament with sub categories and many games with lots of pics.

Is there an easy way to turn off the visibility to an entire category without having to go to each gallery and turn them off? I have done that before and it is very time consuming to say the least.

If you check out my webpage, you will see the first three or four categories are softball tournaments. Those are the ones I want to make "unlisted"
Thanks
Mike

www.michaelhendersonphotography.com
Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
My Portfolio
MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited January 1, 2012
    Categories are unlisted if all of the galleries in the category are unlisted. You will need to set all of the galleries in that category as unlisted in order to "unlist" the category.

You can apply settings to multiple galleries. See the section titled Need to change settings on lots of galleries? on this help page - http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93307-gallery-settings.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2012
    Thanks for the quick reply. I know how to do that but was hoping for a faster, easier way. With 15 galleries in just the first sub-category, this is going to take hours. :-(
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2012
    I "Unlisted" four categories and all of the images within. This was Jan 1. Yet some of those images still get hits even though they aren't visible. When I check the stats, I see various number of hits on different galleries that were unlisted from public view.

What's up with that? When I check the website as a visitor, the categories aren't visible.
    I am talking about the four softball tournaments that were displayed as categories on my home page.

Anyone have any ideas?

My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    I "Unlisted" four categories and all of the images within. This was Jan 1. Yet some of those images still get hits even though they aren't visible. When I check the stats, I see various number of hits on different galleries that were unlisted from public view.

What's up with that? When I check the website as a visitor, the categories aren't visible.
    I am talking about the four softball tournaments that were displayed as categories on my home page.

Anyone have any ideas?

Setting a gallery as unlisted removes it from the public view of your web site. But, it does not instantly remove it from search engines (that may take a long time for a search engine to realize that it is no longer public) and it never stops anyone from viewing the gallery who already had the URL and had saved it. If you want to reliably block access to the gallery from someone who might have the URL, you have to put a password on it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2012
    Thanks for the quick reply. I know how to do that but was hoping for a faster, easier way. With 15 galleries in just the first sub-category, this is going to take hours. :-(
    I have no idea why Smugmug overlooked the most useful bulk change tool which would have let us select all galleries by category or sub-category. Unfortunately, they only let you pick them ONE-by-ONE. I frequently have the same challenge.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2012
    Thanks John. That would be 204 galleries to password. :-(
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    Thanks John. That would be 204 galleries to password. :-(

why not a quicksetting?
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93307
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    Andy, because everything is not always created with the final result fully in picture. So, sometimes you have to modify/reorganize after creation or over time.

That's the whole point of the bulk settings interface that you guys went to great work to implement (that lets you apply a common settings change to multiple galleries). But, you missed the ONE part of it (letting you select all galleries in a sub-category or category without having to individually select them all) that would have made this feature truly, truly useful and time saving. You implemented 98% of the feature, but missed 70% of the usefulness by missing this one last bit.

This is painfully obvious to anyone who has categories or subcategories with lots of galleries (I regularly have sub-categories with 30-35 galleries in them). If I want to make one common change to all those galleries, what a pain. It's four mouse clicks per gallery to select them all - more than 140 mouse clicks. And, heaven's to betsy if I want to actually make a change to all my sports galleries (over a 500 galleries and thus 2000 mouse clicks). It's simply not possible with the current UI. All because 2% of the last bit of functionality is missing.

If anyone responsible for this part of the interface at Smugmug actually managed lots of galleries in categories/subcategories, this miss would be painfully obvious to them. Please fix this.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    Are there any third-party tools that make these changes swifter? I'd hate to be in your guys situation. I've got over 3000 galleries.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2012
    SamirD wrote: »
    Are there any third-party tools that make these changes swifter? I'd hate to be in your guys situation. I've got over 3000 galleries.
    SmugBrowser was able to make/change settings at any level, category or sub-cat and flow down but
    this app does not seem to be supported anymore.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    Allen wrote: »
    SmugBrowser was able to make/change settings at any level, category or sub-cat and flow down but
    Bummer. :cry
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2012
    Allen wrote: »
    I gave up on SmugBrowser a couple years ago because it never kept up with new versions of Firefox. So, whenever I needed it, it didn't work. It used to be there was futzing you could do (manual editing of manifest files or something like that) to get it work again with newer versions, but that got to be more trouble than it was worth. I don't even know if it can still be made to work any more (nor do I care to keep futzing with it).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2012
    Does it still work with an older version of FF? If so, you could keep a portableapps.com version of it handy where SB would still work.

Not exactly an elegant solution for a UI issue, but a workaround that may work. thumb.gif