Options

Quick frame-filler

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited January 24, 2012 in People
Practicing with the Trilite reflector setup and a new background - have a shoot on Monday and have felt woefully off my game, so persuaded Mini-D to let me practice.

I like the Trilite - expensive, but it does what it does in a very small footprint which is a godsend for me. That plus a boomstand made for a LOT more shooting space (which makes it ironic that I shot this one so close, but old habits die hard :rofl)

i-WxzgD8r-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    I wish I could "like" Facebook style! Her face may be a wee bit hot, though.
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    Gorgeous photo Diva! <3 love the tones and texture. she has grown up so much!
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2012
    Thanks guys! She's using it on FB, so I guess she likes it lol. I was REALLY grateful to have a chance to practice - haven't been shooting enough recently, so it was good to screw a few things up to remind myself what I need to think about rolleyes1.gif I just hope I can pull it together for tomorrow's shoot - we've got old snow on the ground so outside will be icky (and the light dull unless it's REALLY sunny), and the extra light and larger softbox I ordered haven't arrived in time. I can of course use the stuff I have - the trusty Photek Softliter will be back on the job - but it's been a few months since the last "somebody I don't already know" shoot, and I'm always nervous until I know I've got some good shots in the bag. Here's hoping!
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    Splendid portrait! Always a treat to see little D because I know she is not often "in the mood" The color is what first grabbed my attention, the gold in her eyes, the creamy skin, topped off with amazing lip color. FaceBook, oh yeah, she loves it alright !! Good job Mom!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    I love the pose and the crop. The expression works well for me too. I'm not sure I can wrap my arms around the four, maybe five, light reflections in the eyes.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    Practice??

Lovely portrait of Mini-D. You already know I love the crop!
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    Your processing just makes her eyes so deliciously golden! Like honey!
    Very pretty shot, Diva!
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    The lighting is very pretty and it's a lovely shot. But I'm with Bryce -- those are a lot of catch lights in her eyes. I think I'd photoshop them out in a final image.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    HI Diva,
    I like the frame filler, I hardly ever venture in that territory.
    Love how you have gotten comfortable shooting in other than available light--I have not yet.

I like how it came out and the expression you got on her face and you KNOW she likes it if it's on FB.

A question--do people always clone out catchlights?
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2012
    Thanks everybody!! My shoot yesterday went quite well, and part of that was because I'd wrapped my head round some of these new modifiers.

I think catchlights are one of those things that's a matter of taste. I personally like complex catchlights - I like them best of all when the reflection is from multiple windows, doors, or other sources (vs clear reflections of an umbrella or SB), but these from the Trilite don't bother me as such. If it were for a client, I'd probably ask them whether they would prefer it with or without since it's a super-quick and easy clone job if they want them removed :)
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    Like this a lot Diva. I can always count on you to show me "wide open" shooting, presumably with a prime. Really cute kid also.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen