Options

Pro-Life Generation

2»

Comments

• Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    richardman wrote: »
    So how come all the close ups of single or few people are front on portrait style whereas the crowd people are all sideway or from the back?

Now imagine you do the front on with the crowd.... Walk into them. Don't be the crowd :-)

Well, I agree, but to do that, I'd need an incredibly wide angle lens, and I would have had to have gotten there not an hour late. Not my fault, I had no choice but to show up late, but that's the way it is. I have a few that look like what you're talking about, but they are only of one group. It's just not he same.
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    First of all, no, you don't need a wide angle lens. I just saw a video on Magnum where the photographer was using a long lens and walking into the crowd.

Second, I didn't say right in front of everybody. Unless the place is literally jam packed, you can probably either turn around somewhere inside or move to the edge but looking back.
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    First of all, no, you don't need a wide angle lens. I just saw a video on Magnum where the photographer was using a long lens and walking into the crowd.

Second, I didn't say right in front of everybody. Unless the place is literally jam packed, you can probably either turn around somewhere inside or move to the edge but looking back.

I should have said, "In order to acquire said shot in the situation I was in, I would need an ultra-wide angle lens." It is a jam packed event. Thousands upon thousands of people, crowded on to one road in D.C., all steadily shuffling in the same direction.

I'm not trying to excuse myself from getting the shot. I'm just trying to say I did what I could with what I had in front of me. I don't think I could've gotten the shot you're imagining, without arriving early, which I could not do.
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    Quincy, move out of the pack, move to the edge. You may have better chances then.
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    Quincy, move out of the pack, move to the edge. You may have better chances then.

I did this also, but, yes I agree with you. I was just trying to get a variety of images. I thought being part of the crowd might be an interesting perspective.