Options

Canon 3Ti

PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
edited February 5, 2012 in Cameras
I'm considering buying the Canon 3Ti and it comes with the 18mm-55mm and 55mm-250mm lenses. I'm currently shooting with a FujiFilm HS20EXR and have been wanting to upgrade to a DSLR for some time. Before I plunk down my $999 for the camera (which is almost as much as I paid for my car...so to me this is a lot of money) ... I'd like to hear from any of my fellow Dgrinners if they have any experience with this camera. I just got the HS20EXR less than a year ago and paid almost $600 for it... so I'm just looking to ease my mind that spending the cash is gonna really make a big difference in the quality of my photos and if I dive in... will this be a camera that will do it for me for a good while?... not looking to plunk down another grand for a new camera in the near future. BTW .... anyone want to buy a HS20EXR? :barb
Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    Yeah, a DSLR is a big step up from a bridge camera - bigger sensor means better image quality, and you've got all the EF lenses to choose from. DSLRs usually have better responsiveness also.

By the way, what type of photography do you do? A T3i body only is considerably less expensive - I've seen them for $550 used/$6xx refurb. You need a lens, but you might not necessarily need those two in that kit. For example, I could probably get by with a 50mm f/1.8 ($100) alone. You might also want to get the body, sell the Fuji, and use that cash to get a nice $500 or so lens (17-40L, 20 2.8, 85 1.8, 100 macro, 70-200 f4, etc.).
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2012
    I started out doing mostly landscape type stuff... that is my first love. But I also do quite a bit of event photography. But, I also like to learn as much a possible and have dabbled in just about any idea that has come my way. Basically I've tried a little bit of just about everything. Looking to have a decent range for now and can add lenses along the way.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    Seeing as money is a premium, you may want to look at the Canon T2i.
    Pretty much the same camera without the flip out screen.

I've had just about every rebel, (300, xt, xti, xsi, and now the T3i) and for bang for the buck, these little cameras are tough to beat.

For the T2i body alone, on Amazon, the price is $499.
    There are kits on there that have extra batteries, a case, 16 gig card, for around $800. Here's a Link

Dpreview has reviews for both cameras, this link will bring you to first page of the T3i review. LINK

On that first page, they show you the 2 cams side by side.

Seeing as money is tight, if you buy a T2i kit, you'll have $200 left other stuff.
    I have larger hands, so I put a battery grip on all my rebels.
    There are many 3rd party grips that work very well for around $35.
    This is the one I think I bought. It comes with 2 more batteries. LINK

Don't buy the Canon grip, it will do nothing better than the 3rd party grip.
    Still $150 left. A Canon 50 F1.8 lens is a very good lens for around $120.

Good luck.

BTW, the reason I went for the T3i over the T2i was for the flip screen.
    I figured I'd turn it around to protect the screen while it's in my camera bag.
    I've actually done this one time in the 6 months I've owned it. :D

Last thing, my other camera is a 5DMKII that I hardly ever use.
    That's how much I like the rebels.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2012
    davev wrote: »
    Seeing as money is a premium, you may want to look at the Canon T2i.
    Pretty much the same camera without the flip out screen.

I've had just about every rebel, (300, xt, xti, xsi, and now the T3i) and for bang for the buck, these little cameras are tough to beat.

For the T2i body alone, on Amazon, the price is $499.
    There are kits on there that have extra batteries, a case, 16 gig card, for around $800. Here's a Link

Dpreview has reviews for both cameras, this link will bring you to first page of the T3i review. LINK

On that first page, they show you the 2 cams side by side.

Seeing as money is tight, if you buy a T2i kit, you'll have $200 left other stuff.
    I have larger hands, so I put a battery grip on all my rebels.
    There are many 3rd party grips that work very well for around $35.
    This is the one I think I bought. It comes with 2 more batteries. LINK

Don't buy the Canon grip, it will do nothing better than the 3rd party grip.
    Still $150 left. A Canon 50 F1.8 lens is a very good lens for around $120.

Good luck.

BTW, the reason I went for the T3i over the T2i was for the flip screen.
    I figured I'd turn it around to protect the screen while it's in my camera bag.
    I've actually done this one time in the 6 months I've owned it. :D

Last thing, my other camera is a 5DMKII that I hardly ever use.
    That's how much I like the rebels.

Thanks Dave.... I heard that there were some heat issues with the T2i that were fixed in the T3... is that correct? As silly as it sounds... I like that flip screen. My S5is has that and it's one of the small features that I really do miss in my Fuji. I was pretty consistent about turning it around when not in use and since I'm short, I liked that I could angle it down if I was trying to grab a shot over people... say like at a show or Disneyland. My S5is is my "back up" so to speak... would never get rid of that one. The Fuji as much as I like it and have used it pretty much exclusively since I got it 6 months ago...that's the one I would sell to help finance the new DSLR.

Thanks for the links... I will check them all out.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,918 moderator
    edited January 31, 2012
    If you are thinking of purchasing those 2 - kit lenses, please do read these reviews and check out the image samples to see if the lenses meet your general needs:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-18-55mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-Lens-Review.aspx

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-55-250mm-f-4-5.6-IS-Lens-Review.aspx

If you intend to use the camera for any sort of social events, the first thing I recommend as a "must have" is a decent external flash with focus assist light. In lower light situations and pretty much anything indoors, a flash with a suitable modifier makes a tremendous difference in the results. A flash that I can recommend is the Sigma EF 610 DG Super flash.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/741717-REG/Sigma_189101_EF610_DG_Super_Flash.html
    http://www.adorama.com/SG610EOS.html
    http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-EF-610-Electronic-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00472OBDE

Add a couple of DIY flash modifiers (around $6USD for both), and you can produce images of professional caliber. A couple that I can recommend are:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

http://abetterbouncecard.com/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    I'll also recommend the T2i (550D) and 18-55IS lens - plenty of features, (no problems that I am aware of) - only $549 at the Canon store
    http://shop.usa.canon.com
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2012
    Thanks again everyone. I ordered the 3Ti and it will be here tomorrow! So excited!! Can't wait to start shooting with it! I also got the 50mm f/1.8 lens to go along with what the camera will come with. Camera's not even in my hands yet and I'm already jonesin' for more lenses. Laughing.gif I think the next one will be the 10-22mm... :)