Options

Photo number sequence problem

1129011290 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited February 11, 2012 in SmugMug Support
I have my photo files numbered as "title with date" 001 then 002 and so on. Uploaded 5 galleries this evening and they do not come in in order of filename number coming in as 001, 010, 100, 101 and so on. All started out in windows explorer in numerical order and I can't get anything in the gallery settings to change to numerical order.

In addition to that, I have a category with 4 galleries and I can't find a way to arrange the 4 galleries within the category by date. The top one is Dec. 19 then on down is the 17th, the 18th and then the 16th is on the bottom of the list. How can I move them so the 16th is on the top and then in order top to bottom.

Sorry for my stupidity but I just can't find a way to solve these issues and have spent a LOT of time on it already this evening.

Comments

• Options
    LindyLindy Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    Hi,

You need to set the sort order, in your gallery settings. The sort order option is under Look and Feel. You can also set that using you Gallery Tools. Look for Arrange under Many Photos. Without a link to your site, or your gallery, we can't say why you're having the problem.

It sounds like you may have your galleries arranged automatically, with the most recent first. There's a link in the upper left corner of your homepage gallery display box. You will need to switch that to position, to see the arrange link on your individual category and subcategory pages.

If you prefer to not post your links in the forum, you can email us, and we'll be happy to help you. Just go here: http://help.smugmug.com/

Lindy
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2012
    Lindy wrote: »
    Hi,

You need to set the sort order, in your gallery settings. The sort order option is under Look and Feel. You can also set that using you Gallery Tools. Look for Arrange under Many Photos. Without a link to your site, or your gallery, we can't say why you're having the problem.

It sounds like you may have your galleries arranged automatically, with the most recent first. There's a link in the upper left corner of your homepage gallery display box. You will need to switch that to position, to see the arrange link on your individual category and subcategory pages.

If you prefer to not post your links in the forum, you can email us, and we'll be happy to help you. Just go here: http://help.smugmug.com/

Lindy

I set the gallery settings from the tools list to sort by filename and then in the "1 to 99" order. Sent an email with the link to the category that has the 4 galleries. Thanks.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    We would really need specific links to the galleries / pages in question. If you don't want to post them in a public forum, contact us at our helpdesk as Lindy suggested.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2012
    Well, took me an hour and a half or so but I just ended up deleting all of the galleries, renumbering all of the pics, beginning with the number 100 instead of 001, and then reloading all of them. Not what I wanted but other numbering was just not working.

As to the sequence of the 4 galleries within one category, I found that I had to create a gallery with the latest date first and load all of the pics, then create a gallery with the next latest date and so on. Had to create and load the galleries one at a time as there was basically no way to arrange the galleries after they had been created out of sequence.

I'll know better next time I suppose. Didn't like having to renumber the way I did but it will work and that's the main thing I guess. Whenever I have assumed room temperature and someone is going thru my files, they'll sit there in wonderment and try to guess why my picture file sequence numbers start with 100 instead of 1. Keep 'em guessing when I'm gone.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    11290 wrote: »
    Well, took me an hour and a half or so but I just ended up deleting all of the galleries, renumbering all of the pics, beginning with the number 100 instead of 001, and then reloading all of them. Not what I wanted but other numbering was just not working.

As to the sequence of the 4 galleries within one category, I found that I had to create a gallery with the latest date first and load all of the pics, then create a gallery with the next latest date and so on. Had to create and load the galleries one at a time as there was basically no way to arrange the galleries after they had been created out of sequence.

I'll know better next time I suppose. Didn't like having to renumber the way I did but it will work and that's the main thing I guess. Whenever I have assumed room temperature and someone is going thru my files, they'll sit there in wonderment and try to guess why my picture file sequence numbers start with 100 instead of 1. Keep 'em guessing when I'm gone.
    If you set your gallery/category box to sort by "position" instead of "most recent", "arrange" will show
    up on every gal/cat/sub-cat box. Then you can arrange anyway you'd like.
    host-photos-2.gif
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93317
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2012
    Allen wrote: »
    If you set your gallery/category box to sort by "position" instead of "most recent", "arrange" will show
    up on every gal/cat/sub-cat box. Then you can arrange anyway you'd like.
    host-photos-2.gif
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93317

Actually tried that, didn't work.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2012
    Actually tried that, didn't work.
    Did you already contact us at the helpdesk with the specific links so we can take a look? If not, please do so as we can't really help you out without the details.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2012

I'm not sure I understand the problem youre having, but is it possibly an issue with smugmug sorting alphabetically instead of numerically? For example, 10 would come before 2. You can solve that with more leading 0s. You may need 0001 instead of 001 if your filenames go beyond 1000. Or I may be totally off base.

Dave