Options

Light Room 3, Feb 14 Only $79.95 @ Adorama

DirquistDirquist Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited February 15, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
Ok, this looks like a good deal. I dont have any past versions but Im hoping this is a good way to get in the door so I can just buy upgrades after this. Am I right in this thinking. Im not a pro but I like to shoot RAW. I just use the software that came with my Canon currently. Does anyone think this would be worth it for someone like me? Also, is this indeed a good deal. Its only $20 off but maybe it is $79 everywhere else every day. I was unable to find it this cheap though. Basically I dont know what Im doing and could use a small amount of guidance on what software I should have. I use Gimp now and dont even own photoshop. Which takes me to the question, should I get Elements or the full Photoshop. Im not even sure of the newest versions. :(

http://www.adorama.com/ABLRV3MWE.html

Comments

• Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    If you do get LR 3.0, here's the link to upgrade to 3.6 http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5308
    If I was a non pro, which I am and I had the choice between buying any 2 of 3 of these. IMO< for what it's worth.
    LR3 YES $79
    Elements YES $79
    PS CS5 NO $$$$$ sit down before viewing prices>http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/buying-guide.html

Edit I could only choose 1, it would be LR, hands down.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2012
    Thanks, I think Im going to pull the trigger on Elements and Lightroom and begin the arduous task of learning them at least good enough to get by. Thanks so much for the upgrade link. Didnt look yet to see the cost of the upgrade. Is it totally worth it? Ill check now what it says the upgrade is about.

Ethan
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2012
    YVW, I think the upgrade is free for 3.6. I haven't used Elements, but have watched tutorials on it, and it looks pretty nice, between the two, PS/LR and Elements/LR I would go Elements with LR myself. The only thing I'm not sure it does is layers, but from what I watched, there are tricks around that and it does masks. SLR Lounge on YouTube puts out some awesome videos on LR. I have no affiliation, but have watched all of these and some several times. Give you'reself about 3 or 4 weeks on LR, then look back to you're past images and you will be surprised. The links take you to a specific tutorials. http://www.slrlounge.com/

I would start learning LR first, I think that will give the most bang for the buck.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2012
    Thanks so much. Ill watch the tutorials for certain. I appreciate you taking an interest in my post and giving me some good advice.

Ethan
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2012
    You are most welcome, we all have to start somewhere lol and it sounds like you, like me, are ready to graduate to the next level.
  • Options
    JamesbjenkinsJamesbjenkins Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Dirquist wrote: »
    Thanks, I think Im going to pull the trigger on Elements and Lightroom and begin the arduous task of learning them at least good enough to get by. Thanks so much for the upgrade link. Didnt look yet to see the cost of the upgrade. Is it totally worth it? Ill check now what it says the upgrade is about.

Ethan

I very strongly recommend LR rookies get Scott Kelby's book on LR3. It's the single best, most comprehemsive resource I've found for LR3. No better way to spend $20-25 on learning resources.
    Proofing: clients.captured-photos.com
    Facebook: Like Me || Twitter: Follow Me
    Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    LR3 to 3.6 will be a free upgrade...just install LR and have it look for upgrades before doing anything else....
    Scott Kelbys book is great...retail is $49.95 (maybe 99) but I looked at Amazon for about a week or 2 shortly after it was released and got it for under $25 new...
    really just depends on the bookstores on amazon...I rarely buy new, used is good enuff for me...so long as the book has all its pages attached.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 14, 2012
    Thanks for the advice folks. I look forward to tackling LR. Im sure it wont be easy for me but hopefully with youtube and Scott Kelby's book I will eventually become proficient. Thanks again.
  • Options
    ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    LR4 must be just around the corner as B&H has LR3 for just $69 for today only:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/720705-REG/Adobe_65081059_Photoshop_Lightroom_3_Software.html
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • Options
    AFBlueAFBlue Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    LR4 must be just around the corner as B&H has LR3 for just $69 for today only:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/720705-REG/Adobe_65081059_Photoshop_Lightroom_3_Software.html

LR4 is certainly not far away. There is a public beta of LR4 that expires at the end of March and the Adobe Product Manager said on one of Kelby's programs that it would not be a career enhancing event if the beta expired much before the final product was released.

So I'd want to know about the upgrade cost before I could know how good this deal really is.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2012
    Lol, I'm the guy that drives the 10 year old car, prefers older stuff, tried and tested already. Never much cared for Beta testing someone else's software. I did this when windows Longhorn was being considered. Me, I'll stick to 3.6, at least until everyone else gets all the bugs worked out for the future. One question I had, will the new 4.0 be like the newest PS? Pretty much require you to "renew" you software license by tieing it to cloud technology? I think there was already a thread some time back on this issue, but it dealt with PS, not LR. If so, I know 3.6 will work fo me for a lonng time lol.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    AFBlue wrote: »

So I'd want to know about the upgrade cost before I could know how good this deal really is.

LR1>LR2 was $99 upgrade
    LR2>LR3 was $99 upgrade...I suspect the pattern will hold