Options

Are you a fauxtographer?

HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
edited February 17, 2012 in People
Gotta love these examples of great photography........not.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/you-are-not-a-photographer

Comments

• Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2012
    That's a riot... Not sure which I like best... Uncle Bobs crap that looks like some of my crap...lol or the guy in a suit/tux laying in the water like a mermaid... Hehe ;)
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2012
    Hmmm...some of those are great! My skills in PS are surely lacking. Particularly liked the one with the scan picture superimposed on the belly...tres cool!

;)
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2012
    LMAO tux in the water
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2012
    This whole set is amazing but 13 and 21 are just WOW!!!
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2012
    This looks exactly like my wife's Facebook feed. Okay, here is a tough question: If this is what "average" people are okay with... is the portrait industry doomed? Not sure if people really want it? Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niyTIbiV19A

What is amazing is how true it is. The reality is that there are those out there who appreciate fine photography. It just seems to me there are fewer of them every day. Here is what the customers of fauxtographers want:

* Ultra-fast turn around times. They want the pics within minutes of the shoot.
    * Lots of gawdy photoshop editing or in-camera effects. Selective color with no purpose is the best.
    * It's all about the "lol"s. The more "lol"s you can produce, the better.
    * "Pics" uploaded to Facebook right away. Facebook is the only delivery method, a flash drive if you're too far behind the times.
    * No flash unless it is on camera.
    * Free or really cheap services. A portrait session is $25-$50. A wedding $199.
    * No prints. This is the most important one. This new class of customer doesn't give a lick about prints. Don't even bother offering them.
    * Same background location as their friends. You can actually see the fauxtogs line up at one location near my house. 30 cars parked, families wearing matching denim shirts, and nary a flash in site.

You too can get started servicing these types of customers with absolutely no previous experience required. In fact, experience works against you. It is best if you are a beginner. For equipment I recommend any used point and shoot circa 1998.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    OK Ryan... that video made me laugh. Thanks brother.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    I promise you there is a not so gradual dumbing down of the general publics expectations as far as photography.
    I call the new style "rap" photography. Absolute crap....which people see everywhere.....and because of that it is actually becoming the newest look for what people want.

People who say the faux photographers that sell discs for $50. are not hurting their business are wrong.
    When mediocrity is the norm...why pay for excellence.

Just go to Wallmart and see my argument.

.....but yeah that poor bastard in the tux...haha.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    A sad fact is many people really don't know the difference between great photography or poor. If they did, those who shoot these types of images would not be hired. My facebook feed is autrocious with some of the so called "Joe Blow Photography" feeds. In fact one comes to mind that ALL his images could easily be placed in the link Charles provided. The saddest part of it all is he continues to market the living daylights out of his work, gets "rave" reviews and further convinces me that the common public has NO clue. He and two other guys started a wedding photography endeavor....put a gun to my head.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    NikonLoverNikonLover Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    It is very sad what is happening to the Photography award. Photography is very much a what you pay is what you get type world. And the fact that there are so many fauxtographers out there that are willing to give services for CHEAP or even worse for FREE is killing the real photographers out there who actually know what they are doing. The only free services that I give are to my family because I don't believe in charging for them, but everyone else who wants me to take time out of my day to do photos for them or wants one of my prints must pay the price. But getting people to pay that price is getting more and more difficult. Since they always come at me with well how come your so much more than these other photographers. I only give them the response of my quality speaks for itself. Everyone seems to think that because they bought a fancy camera that it makes them a great photographer. Doesn't matter that the photos are fuzzy, you have a pole sticking out of someones head, the photo is severely over/under exposed, etc. Sorry for the rant this stuff just erks me to no end, and I have gotten hit with it recently at an event so still very fresh.
  • Options
    icefan100icefan100 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 14, 2012
    Yes it is a what you pay is what you get world. You have these cheapo photographers who try to do all of these gimmicky shots to cover there lack of vision and expertise. A real photographer's suggestions nowadays are ignored so that the customer can get these dumb shots such as the bride appearing to have the grrom in her hand. What must these people think later when they see some quality work?
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    icefan100 wrote: »
    Yes it is a what you pay is what you get world. You have these cheapo photographers who try to do all of these gimmicky shots to cover there lack of vision and expertise. A real photographer's suggestions nowadays are ignored so that the customer can get these dumb shots such as the bride appearing to have the grrom in her hand. What must these people think later when they see some quality work?

I bet there's a small portion that finds that dorky stuff preferable... some people just have that kind of taste /coughBADTASTEcough

But to the rest, yes, I agree. Lol. If it's something meaningful to them, they'll regret it if they ever do compare.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2012
    What is happening now in the photography industry started happening to IT about 2002. You don't need a license to be an "IT Professional" any more than you need one to be a photographer. Computers are easy to learn. It doesn't take much effort to gain more knowledge than the average person. This caused new "faux IT persons" to spring up that serviced individuals and businesses with sub-standard IT services. Business destroying disasters were common. Customers were clueless. Experienced professionals starving. Sound familiar?

The IT industry has worked hard to address these challenges. We've seen big changes in the last 2-3 years. Experienced professionals are starting to see growing demand again. In fact, demand has grown by 25% this year alone! Considering how far we fell, that is a major improvement. What we did to improve the situation could absolutely be applied to the photography industry. Here is what it took:

* To sum it up, we had to change....
    * We had to educate customers why spending more was important. Most of them didn't understand why a $4000 server was better than a $500 one. We needed to explain why in a language they could understand. Not all got it, but many did.
    * We had to completely change the customer experience. We had to be nicer, faster, and provide a better value. We had to always show up right on time. We had to hang up our geek hats when we sat down with clients. We had to be more approachable.
    * We had to redefine what IT services meant. It wasn't about just the technology any more. We had to understand the business, marketing, finances, etc. We had to learn how accounting departments worked, the voodoo the pay roll person did, everything.
    * We had to continue to improve our individual technical skills. We had to offer a more diverse array of skills and services. We had to create new markets.
    * We had to work together. We formed professional organizations and worked to keep those who wouldn't conform out of the group. We helped mentor new people. We helped grow existing members through professional training. We created a sort of religion out of professional IT services, then we attempted to convert everyone we met.
    * We had to provide more value. In some cases this meant lowering fees. In others, it meant adding additional "high-touch" additions to existing services for the same price. This hurt our wallets. We resisted it for a long time. Finally, we realized that we were taking down the ship with us by not bending to customer's demands. In the end we didn't have to bend as far as we feared.

Now... Do the low-cost inexperienced newbs still participate in the IT industry as "professionals?" Sure. Do they still manage to screw things up? Yup. How is it different? Customers are starting to figure it out. They've been left hung out to dry time after time by the inexperience of the people they've hired. When they run in to one of our customers we've educated, that customer educates them. We get the call. Real, provable experience is what customers are starting to expect.

The same can and should be true for the photography industry. Experienced members of the industry can work to make it so. Attach yourself to people who have that high-class professional touch. Be willing to change and learn new things. Continue to improve the experience your customer has until you start seeing growth. It will get better.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Very well stated Ryan.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Ryan I hope you are right...I don't think so however, the photography industry is a different animal.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2012
    Let me give you a few ideas to consider:

* Educate Customers
    - Why are you worth the extra cost? Put it in terms customers will understand.
    - If you want to sell prints, can you explain why prints are important?
    - Have customers bring in their old family album, point out how they feel as they show you the pictures. Drive that point home, what is that feeling worth?
    - Show them bad and good photographs. Explain what makes the difference.
    - Explain, in non-technical terms, the photographic process. Help them see themselves in the middle of it.
    - Do _not_ get preachy. Be excited, but don't get too technical.

* Change Customer Experience
    - Provide craft services during your shoots.
    - Dress to impress.
    - Rent the biggest studio you can find. Wow them with your impressiveness.
    - Show mock-ups of your finished product.
    - Meet them rather than have them meet you.
    - Take them out to dinner.
    - If you're strapped for cash, at least learn some new jokes. Give them something to remember.

* Redefine Photography
    - It isn't just pictures on the wall any more, it is an amazing experience.
    - Find new ways to incorporate photography in a customer's life.
    - Combine services for a more powerful impact. How about a massage right before the shoot? Can you collaborate with a caterer or florist to do something interesting with the pictures?
    - What if you rented a helicopter to shoot those engagement pictures on top of a mountain? The fact you even offer such a package could propel you higher. You might be totally shocked at how many helicopter packages you sell.
    - What if you provided a full vacation for a high-octane student... sky diving, race car driving??? Make it awesome and photograph the whole thing.
    - Find new life experiences that everyone will absolutely want to have recorded. it doesn't just have to be seniors, engagements, weddings, maternity, newborn in a basket. How limiting is that? Think of 10 life experiences that simply _have_ to be recorded photographically. Sell it.

* Skills & Markets
    - Take that lighting workshop.
    - Figure out how to make your composites a bit more believable.
    - Can you mount and frame your own prints?
    - What other services do you offer that aren't related directly to photography? If you can't think of anything, that might be an indicator you need new skills.

* Get Organized
    - This is, I admit, one that the Photography industry is poor at. Start a meet-up group for local photographers, keep it totally high-class. Teach the people around you what you do to make magic. You will get stronger as you make the people around you stronger. Until the industry at large figures this out it will continue to hold itself back.

* Provide Value
    - Give your clients a gift or extra thank you.
    - Make the first-contact experience special.
    - Offer a special discount for repeat business.
    - The point, make your customer feel like they are getting one heck of a deal.

Well, I've ranted on long enough. I think you see where I'm headed. The IT industry and the Photography industry are totally different animals. That said, they do have some problems that are nearly identical. You'll have to think outside yourself to make progress. That's what it means to change.
  • Options
    scotthofferphotographyscotthofferphotography Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    those made me laugh.
    check out some of my pics on my smug mug site.
    http://www.scotthofferphotography.com
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    I'll just opine that looking at bad photography is no worse than watching a bad movie. "Santa Claus conquers the Martians" had no effect on the quality of "Dr. Strangelove."

Bad will always be with us; mocking the bad only draws attention to it. Worry about making good stuff, and let the bad stuff take care of itself.
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    I'll just opine that looking at bad photography is no worse than watching a bad movie. "Santa Claus conquers the Martians" had no effect on the quality of "Dr. Strangelove."

Bad will always be with us; mocking the bad only draws attention to it. Worry about making good stuff, and let the bad stuff take care of itself.
    15524779-Ti.gif Just keep doing great work and keep laughing at the bad stuff (it's hard to beat #1 from the slideshow)
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    I was setting up a checking account today and the banker is getting married. We chatted some about photography, and he commented that most of the folks his finance was talking to were asking 2800-3200 for the gig and that seemed like a bunch of money. I explained to him what he gets with a professional (skill, the right tools for the job, backup equipment, insurance, etc.). He felt much better about what he was getting.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site