Options

NIK Software

2»

Comments

• Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    bowdown.gif Neil. I'll un-install everything and star from zero. :D

Let's know how it goes. It wouldn't hurt to condition your computer as well, especially if you have Windows and you have been using it hard for over 12 months without giving it any attention. You should have startups at a minimum, and minimum peripherals attached, and your C drive should be at least 30% free. An excellent product for keeping a Windows computer in top working order is Iolo System Mechanic (subscribed version). I have been using it on my aging limited machine for about three years, and it runs as good as the day I bought it! As you know, Windows accrues a lot of gunk and errors over time. Some people like to do a complete reinstall of the Windows OS every year, but with the latest versions of Windows, and with a top maintenance product like Iolo, a complete reinstall is just unnecessary and not worth the inconvenience.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    I am afraid Neil that your information doesn't help because I use Mac ! mwink.gif

bowdown.gif anyway. I will let you know how things are going. :D
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2012
    I am afraid Neil that your information doesn't help because I use Mac ! mwink.gif

bowdown.gif anyway. I will let you know how things are going. :D

Good thing!

Did you check that the Nik stuff is compatible with your version OS?

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2012
    NeilL wrote: »
    Good thing! Did you check that the Nik stuff is compatible with your version OS Neil

Yes I have Neil. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    As I learn Viveza I find that I'm using it more and more. It is a wonderful tool for minor adjustments on annoying areas. Brighten up that one dark area or tone down that frightful bright area.
  • Options
    PaintedSpurPaintedSpur Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 16, 2012
    Love my NIK software. Haven't updated to the 4 yet, but plan to before long. Very easy to use and I really like the control points when applying effects. We purchased the complete collection, though I don't use the HDR, Viveza or Sharpener as much as the Color and Silver.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2012
    1. Problem
    If I apply an adjustment in the histogram and then merge it with the layer from Silver, the CS stops responding and get blocked.

2. Problem
    If I crop and apply Silver or Color the CS stops responding and get blocked.

3. Problem
    I f I press escape during the start of Silver the selective tool goes away

If I had a pirate copy I would say: It's a pirate copy, so I have to go on and accept things like they are.

These problems and others make me to be constantly saving. Sometimes the last save is gone and I have to start up from scratch.

I have contacted Germany (??) but nothing so far.

I am a BIT upset rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2012
    I have "discovered" that the plug in doesn't like to work with cropped images.

With non cropped images it works faster and with not as much errors. :D
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    Silver Efex seems like one you would be interested in.....all the shots I have seen from you are Black and White....but they already look so good, your tones are perfect, why mess with new software.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2012
    zoomer wrote: »
    Silver Efex seems like one you would be interested in.....all the shots I have seen from you are Black and White....but they already look so good, your tones are perfect, why mess with new software.

They are done with Silver :)

I have no doubt that it is good in terms of results as long as you have the right eye :D

It has many possibilities, very versatile and flexible with much power. Perhaps a bit demanding in terms of RAM. I am working on a series I will present soon and many times the CS crashed. I was doing crops before the treatment but now I do not and the results are faster and the CS doesn't go away.

Thank you for your comment :)
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2012
    Zoomer, which plug in do you use for your colored images ?

Do you make those blurs on the girls naturally, I mean from the camera, or something else ?
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2012
    I kind of use a mix of stuff...starting with normally very thin depth of field.
    Some Lightroom presets and some Nik 3 effects as well, been toying with some Topaz as well.

Not sure what you mean by blurs....?
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2012
    zoomer wrote: »
    I kind of use a mix of stuff...starting with normally very thin depth of field.
    Some Lightroom presets and some Nik 3 effects as well, been toying with some Topaz as well.

Not sure what you mean by blurs....?

I suspected you would be using a mix of techniques and also Topaz or similar :D

By "blurs" I was meaning very shallow DOF. Perhaps I didn't use the right word :)

bowdown.gifD
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2012
    ....yeah I shoot a lot of 70-200 at around 200 at 2.8 or 4 ....and also 85 1.4 between 1.4 and 2.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2012
    DAY ONE

1. Contact from Nik Europe: nothing so far.
    2. The Nik Selective Tool just goes away if I press Escape during the opening.
    3. The plug-in doesn't like merged layers because CS cracks. Work lost !

More to come