Options

Max JPG file size too small for today's cameras

skibum4skibum4 Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited March 12, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Can you up the max allowed file size a bit for pro subscribers? I regularly get upper 20's MB JPG images from 5D2. I had been going crazy uploading images and seeing half of them disappear until I noticed there was a 24MB image per cap and I was getting many in the 24-28MB range. So how about going from a 24MB to a 30MB limit?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    skibum4 wrote:
    Can you up the max allowed file size a bit for pro subscribers? I regularly get upper 20's MB JPG images from 5D2. I had been going crazy uploading images and seeing half of them disappear until I noticed there was a 24MB image per cap and I was getting many in the 24-28MB range. So how about going from a 24MB to a 30MB limit?
    Straight out of the camera? I don't, and I shoot 5DMk II and 1Ds Mk III.

What exactly are you doing to your files in post? Also, saving at JPG 10 in Photoshop or 90 in Lightroom will get them down a tiny bit.
  • Options
    skibum4skibum4 Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Straight out of the camera? I don't, and I shoot 5DMk II and 1Ds Mk III.

What exactly are you doing to your files in post? Also, saving at JPG 10 in Photoshop or 90 in Lightroom will get them down a tiny bit.

Nothing other than the basic levels/sharpening/etc. I had been saving them at level 12 in CS4 after processing. I guess level 11 will get them under the smugmug limit. I kind of had preferred to keep one set and at max jpg quality to really try to eliminate any little bits of potential artifacts but I guess level 11 would upload a lot faster (seems like maybe 16MB vs. 27MB for files at high iso or with very dense details, otherwise even at 12 they are more like 16MB) and upload speeds are always slow unless you are on a dedicated T1/T3 which I no longer am. I guess I probably may as well save the upload time and disk space and forget about using 12.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    skibum4 wrote:
    Nothing other than the basic levels/sharpening/etc. I had been saving them at level 12 in CS4 after processing. I guess level 11 will get them under the smugmug limit. I kind of had preferred to keep one set and at max jpg quality to really try to eliminate any little bits of potential artifacts but I guess level 11 would upload a lot faster (seems like maybe 16MB vs. 27MB for files at high iso or with very dense details, otherwise even at 12 they are more like 16MB) and upload speeds are always slow unless you are on a dedicated T1/T3 which I no longer am. I guess I probably may as well save the upload time and disk space and forget about using 12.
    Level 10 is indistinguishable from 12 in print and on the web, yet way, way, way smaller. Level 12 is very, very little compression, much less than it came out of the camera at.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 9, 2012
    We silently raised the limit to 100 megapixels and 50 MB this morning and are testing it on the live site with various uploaders. If any of youz have bigger files like that and run into probs, let us know.
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2012
    Baldy wrote: »
    We silently raised the limit to 100 megapixels and 50 MB this morning and are testing it on the live site with various uploaders. If any of youz have bigger files like that and run into probs, let us know.

I'm getting a "File too large" error on a 41.71MB file with the HTML 5 uploader.

It appears to have worked just fine with the simple uploader. thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2012

thumb.gif This is such great news for those of us with larger files.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2012
    CWSkopec wrote: »
    I'm getting a "File too large" error on a 41.71MB file with the HTML 5 uploader.

Can you email us the details to our helpdesk:
    http://help.smugmug.com/
    ?

What browser version and operating system were you using?
    Can you include a link to the successfully uploaded file so we can take a look at it?

Thanks!
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    A few of the >24MB images I tried to upload earlier today failed as too big. But I just retried them now and they uploaded just fine. Some were >35MB. I was using the HTML5 uploader. So everything looks good from here.

Thanks for opening up the size!!

Dan
  • Options
    afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012

HUGE HELP!!! Thank you for doing this. Amazing.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2012
    Is the 24MB size limit back in place? I just uploaded 193 files and only 184 of them were successful. The 9 that failed were the 9 largest files, ranging from 25.3MB to 30.5MB. The next largest that DID upload was 25.1MB. Is there anything I can try? See the attachment. It's a screen grab of the list of files. The top nine are the ones that did not upload (starting with and including the highlighted file).

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2012
    A little more info...

That was with the HTML 5 uploader. OS X 10.6.8, Chrome 17.

I am now using the Flash uploader and it seems to be taking the files. Fingers crossed... Here's the gallery affected:
    http://www.adamfarber.com/All-Photos/Family-Events/Mom-Dad-35th-Annivesary/

Hopefully the HTML5 uploader can be fixed to allow those files since it was a bit of a pain to go through my gallery to figure out exactly where the cut off was.

Thanks!!
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2012
    afarber wrote: »
    Is the 24MB size limit back in place? I just uploaded 193 files and only 184 of them were successful. The 9 that failed were the 9 largest files, ranging from 25.3MB to 30.5MB. The next largest that DID upload was 25.1MB. Is there anything I can try? See the attachment. It's a screen grab of the list of files. The top nine are the ones that did not upload (starting with and including the highlighted file).

Thanks!
    No, we've not changed anything, those look to be uploading errors, typically caused by connection issues. You can always just dump everything back into the uploader, and have 'skip duplicates' checked, we'll ignore all dupes and only go for the ones that don't make it :Dhttp://www.adamfarber.com/homepage/uploadlog.mg
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    No, we've not changed anything, those look to be uploading errors, typically caused by connection issues. You can always just dump everything back into the uploader, and have 'skip duplicates' checked, we'll ignore all dupes and only go for the ones that don't make it :Dhttp://www.adamfarber.com/homepage/uploadlog.mg

There were those three upload errors, but the issue was definitely a files size one in the HTML5 uploader with 9 files. The HTML5 uploader gave me an error code of "File Size Too Large" or something very close to that (sorry I didn't screen grab that one). When I tried dragging them back into the uploader as you describe, it gave the same error and wouldn't upload them. The Flash uploader worked perfectly for those files, however.

As for the upload log, how can I see what files it is noting had errors? The space for file names is way too small. My guess is that is a different problem and I'd like to track it down.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2012
    There were those three upload errors, but the issue was definitely a files size one in the HTML5 uploader with 9 files. The HTML5 uploader gave me an error code of "File Size Too Large" or something very close to that (sorry I didn't screen grab that one). When I tried dragging them back into the uploader as you describe, it gave the same error and wouldn't upload them. The Flash uploader worked perfectly for those files, however.

As for the upload log, how can I see what files it is noting had errors? The space for file names is way too small. My guess is that is a different problem and I'd like to track it down.
    Can you reproduce this error consistently in the HTML 5 uploader with the file? If so, can you put that file in a Dropbox or something for me to grab? I've just spent the better part of Sunday morning uploading a ton of really large files using all different uploaders and platforms and haven't had a single error, so I want to try and reproduce what you are seeing. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2012
    Can you reproduce this error consistently in the HTML 5 uploader with the file? If so, can you put that file in a Dropbox or something for me to grab? I've just spent the better part of Sunday morning uploading a ton of really large files using all different uploaders and platforms and haven't had a single error, so I want to try and reproduce what you are seeing. Thanks.

I can. I just created a new gallery (http://www.adamfarber.com/All-Photos/Private/test-large-files/) and attempted to upload the 9 problem files as well as the 10th largest that uploaded fine yesterday. That 10th file uploaded fine again, and I still got the error with the other 9. See the attached screen grab. As you can see, the error is very tough to see (that's another problem), but through the magic of highlighting, copy and paste, I can confirm the error is: "File too large".

I've uploaded the 9th largest file (the first one with a problem) to my Box.com account. I will PM you the link to download.

Thanks for exploring this, Andy!

adam
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2012
    Hmmm...I seem not to be able to PM you. OK, privacy aside, here is the link to download the first file that won't upload:
    *deleted*

Thanks!
    adam
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2012
    Hmmm...I seem not to be able to PM you. OK, privacy aside, here is the link to download the first file that won't upload:
    *deleted*

Thanks!
    adam

I'm always reachable at help.smugmug.com :) thanks
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2012
    *deleted*

Thanks!
    adam

I just uploaded it with no trouble in Chrome, same exact version as you, on Mac. Can you try clearing fully your Chrome cache and trying again?
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2012
    I just uploaded it with no trouble in Chrome, same exact version as you, on Mac. Can you try clearing fully your Chrome cache and trying again?

Cleared cache and cookies completely. Same result. I drag the photos into the HTML5 uploader and it *immediately* tells me they are too big. It doesn't even attempt to upload. It's really instantaneous.

Same resulte with Firefox 9. I wanted to try Safari 5.1.2, but the HTML5 uploader wouldn't load at all.

Very odd.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2012
    Cleared cache and cookies completely. Same result. I drag the photos into the HTML5 uploader and it *immediately* tells me they are too big. It doesn't even attempt to upload. It's really instantaneous.

Same resulte with Firefox 9. I wanted to try Safari 5.1.2, but the HTML5 uploader wouldn't load at all.

Very odd.
    yes, very strange. We're running the same version of Chrome and the same uploader, and using the same file yet you are getting an error and I am not. Argh.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2012
    CWSkopec wrote: »

Do you still get this error on the HTML5 Uploader? If so, what OS are you on? ear.gif
  • Options
    det1racdet1rac Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2012

Nice work I just raised the flag about the Nikon D800 factory jpg being larger than 24mb. This will open you up to medium format photographers also. (** I think **)
    Thanks, Robert
    http://www.RobertCain.info
    Q9300 8GB DDR3
    ATI 4850, 750GB Local drive, 4TB of NAS storage
    Bibble Pro 4.0, PhotoMatrix, PTGui
    Pentax K20D, 16-50mm f2.8, LensBaby 3G, 12-24mm f4, 50mm f.14
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2012
    yes, very strange. We're running the same version of Chrome and the same uploader, and using the same file yet you are getting an error and I am not. Argh.

Hey Andy,

Having this problem again with a new gallery and new set of photos. I'm using the same OS/browser (OS X 10.6.8, Chrome 17), but on a different computer. This one is from work. Please see the attached screen grab. The HTML5 uploader is simply not permitting anything over the old MB limit. It's not even trying. It seems to just look at the file size and say "nope." I know this is obvious, but are you sure you're not using a newer version of the uploader code as an "inside guy"?

Thanks for your help!
    adam
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2012
    Hey Andy,

Having this problem again with a new gallery and new set of photos. I'm using the same OS/browser (OS X 10.6.8, Chrome 17), but on a different computer. This one is from work. Please see the attached screen grab. The HTML5 uploader is simply not permitting anything over the old MB limit. It's not even trying. It seems to just look at the file size and say "nope." I know this is obvious, but are you sure you're not using a newer version of the uploader code as an "inside guy"?

Thanks for your help!
    adam

No, same exact code as you're using. Write our heroes with the details, we'll chase it down, thanks http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2012
    Folks having trouble with the HTML5 uploader - we fixed the problem and it should be all good. Let us know of any troubles thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2012
    Folks having trouble with the HTML5 uploader - we fixed the problem and it should be all good. Let us know of any troubles thumb.gif

It is working perfectly now! Thanks much. Just curious...what was the problem?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    It is working perfectly now! Thanks much. Just curious...what was the problem?
    Not much to it. There was an issue with the html5 uploader and it has been corrected so the uploader now properly accepts these files.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero