Options

lightroom 4 is out

Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited March 8, 2012 in Digital Darkroom

Comments

• Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    I just heard this too, via Scott Kelby, who says there's a half-price deal going on now - and *forever,* he claims.

$149. marked down from $299; upgrades, $79.
    Can't wait.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    What are the actual benefits for the LR3 user? I've read the specs, but nothing makes me go "ooo ahhh"; I suspect I'm missing something.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Local WB adjustments via brush tool
    Soft proofing!
    Few other biggies that I'm blanking on right now but soft proofing is pretty awesome
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Local WB adjustments via brush tool
    Soft proofing!
    Few other biggies that I'm blanking on right now but soft proofing is pretty awesome

Lots more adjustments, book-making capabilities, video adjustments.

If you go to the Adobe site, there are some great demos.

I can't remember all the additions, but I do remember being blown away when I saw it demo-ed.
  • Options
    sidepocketsidepocket Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Does anybody know if Smugmug exporting is included in Lightroom 4?
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    What are the actual benefits for the LR3 user? I've read the specs, but nothing makes me go "ooo ahhh"; I suspect I'm missing something.

Video....say it again: Video. Not Develop Module support mind you, but you can apply your presets. And since you can create presets too, that leaves some latitude. You can also affect the WB with the warmer/cooler << < > >> options as in the library Module. I tried it on an Interview Video that needed nothing else, and I liked being able to use a preset.
    tom wise
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012

Brushable white balance(!)
    Brushable noise (in AND out!)
    Vastly improved whites/blacks/highlights/shadows sliders.
    Geotagging module
    Book making capability
    Video editing
    Soft Proofing

Definitely a shot across Aperture's bow.
  • Options
    JamesbjenkinsJamesbjenkins Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Yeah, I'm pressing the upgrade button as soon as I get home from work. $79 for all the upgraded and new features is a bargain.

Take that, Aperture! HA.
    Proofing: clients.captured-photos.com
    Facebook: Like Me || Twitter: Follow Me
    Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    Yeah, I'm pressing the upgrade button as soon as I get home from work. $79 for all the upgraded and new features is a bargain.

Take that, Aperture! HA.

Be interesting to see what Apple fires back with. :D
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    So here's a question: if your LR3 is a downloaded upgrade (original installation a hard copy of LR2), and then you add a downloadable upgrade of LR4... what happens when you switch computers? That will be in my future at some point, and I want to make sure I don't wind up with a snafu. Are there complications to consider?
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Diva - that's the way mine is too (and was from LR2 --> LR3) and it wasn't a problem when I switched computers. You need to keep all of your keys though. In the future, you'll download the installer on to your new computer (via adobe) and it'll ask for the LR4 key, then the LR3 key, and perhaps even the LR2 key if you started there.

In other news - it's downloading now and I'm quite excited! I didn't even use the LR beta this time around because it looked like the full version would be out shortly. Sure enough, here it is.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    I have done this from LR1 (a download also) upgraded to LR2 and then 3 ...all have been downloads and all are still working fine on my now 3 computer...
    What I do is download and set into a file mine is LIGHTROOM DOWNLOADS ... from there I do the open / install...have not had a problem...also all the downloads are backed up on other hard drives....I almost buy download software exclusively now, so I do not have to keep up with disks...oh yeah I also copy the serial numbers and key codes to a text file and keep in the download files with the software... Last time I had any trouble with an Adobe Software was trying to register CS after returning from Prague with it ... Adobe recognized it was not a US version and I had to call them to let them know where it purchased ... I told them I was on Vaca and could not pass up the deal I found in a software store...all was good ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    You may need the whole sequence of serial numbers back to whatever was your first version. However, if you don't have them and run into an issue you can call Adobe support and they will fix it. It's not a big deal, they just enable it for you when you call.

I keep all my serial numbers the same way a keep all my passwords, in one of those password safe things. Over the years I had to move them from one wallet to another as I change what I was using.

http://keepass.info/ is actually pretty good.

You can do it with https://lastpass.com/ too.

So here's a question: if your LR3 is a downloaded upgrade (original installation a hard copy of LR2), and then you add a downloadable upgrade of LR4... what happens when you switch computers? That will be in my future at some point, and I want to make sure I don't wind up with a snafu. Are there complications to consider?
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    Yep - I keep all my LR codes (and everything else) in LastPass
  • Options
    eyeguyeyeguy Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    It may be out but Adobe.com is down. Am I the only one that is having problems with trying to connect with Adobe.com ??
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    eyeguy wrote: »
    It may be out but Adobe.com is down. Am I the only one that is having problems with trying to connect with Adobe.com ??

Just dl'd LR4 from their site. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012

I just started my download from the US store and it's very fast. I also checked the Dutch site & store and those are up too but very slow... I am in Central America.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    www.adobe.com is not working for me. (in Canada) all I get is :Unable to connect
    Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.adobe.com. The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments. If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection. If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
    Same thing with Safari.
    can you post link and we will see what happens
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    My resolver gets IP 192.150.16.64 as the address which traces to a webserver in Dallas, Texas.

Try http://192.150.16.64/
    ciao!
    Nick.

• Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    DeVerm wrote: »
    I just started my download from the US store and it's very fast. I also checked the Dutch site & store and those are up too but very slow... I am in Central America.
    DeVerm wrote: »
    My resolver gets IP 192.150.16.64 as the address which traces to a webserver in Dallas, Texas.

Try http://192.150.16.64/

Sorry its not working I get the opening page then go to download page then server id dead ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    Hmmm, download in progress, at about 25%
    Sorry its not working I get the opening page then go to download page then server id dead ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    www.adobe.com is not working for me. (in Canada) all I get is :Unable to connect
    Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.adobe.com. The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments. If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection. If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
    Same thing with Safari.
    can you post link and we will see what happens
    Thanks

Try this !
    http://www.adobe.com/go/ols_ww_login/
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    Installed and running. Time to reprocess the shots from the last two days and see what, if any, differences in final product exist.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    LR4 gives you the option of reprocessing raws with its new algorithms. It seems to be pulling out more details and color. Has anyone else noticed that or is it just wishful visualization on my part?
    Pupator wrote: »
    Installed and running. Time to reprocess the shots from the last two days and see what, if any, differences in final product exist.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    LR4 gives you the option of reprocessing raws with its new algorithms. It seems to be pulling out more details and color. Has anyone else noticed that or is it just wishful visualization on my part?

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/02/magic-or-local-laplacian-filters.html

New tone sliders handle tones (especially highlight and shadow transitions) much better IMHO.

Clarity filter is all new and works great even at high values.
  • Options
    BicicletapcBicicletapc Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    Anyone know if tagging is improved?

I am a sports event photog and want the ability to tag the 1000's of images I shoot at each event with race number so the participant can search. Its a PITA now and very time consuming in PS5, and LR3 wasnt any better.

Thanks
    Paul
    Tramps like us are born to run.
    www.Christopher-Graphics.com
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    The fill and recovery sliders are gone, and now there is a white and black slider. Are they white and black points or do they do something else?
    MarkR wrote: »
    http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/02/magic-or-local-laplacian-filters.html

New tone sliders handle tones (especially highlight and shadow transitions) much better IMHO.

Clarity filter is all new and works great even at high values.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    Think I'm going to wait a bit before upgrading my catalog. Quick look at Adobe forums shows that people have lost their flags in collections, tone curves of old shots have been reset...
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    The fill and recovery sliders are gone, and now there is a white and black slider. Are they white and black points or do they do something else?

Yes, white and black sliders affect white and black point. Personally, I find that using the white slider and the highlight slider gives me much better results than the old recovery slider (which a friend of mine calls the "make-everything-gray" slider.

I also find that the highlight/shadow sliders do a better job than the old fill light slider. And the exposure tool behaves differently (I think better) than it did in LR3.

The nice thing though is you can always go back to PV2010 if you really like those sliders better. (I emphatically do not!)
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    Downloaded, activated (old serial nrs were filled in automatically thumb.gif), catalog with all 2012 pics converted, all pics converted to new rendering engine, all geotags from jfriedl converted to native location data, reverse geotagging enabled, confirmed that worked thumb.gif, played with new sliders.... wow, looks like HDR won't be needed for many captures anymore :ivar, installed jfriedl smugmug export again, looked at new map view... wow there's my geotagged pics coming up!! wings.gif

I have not encountered any problems yet. thumb.gif
    ciao!
    Nick.