Options

lightroom 4 is out

2»

Comments

• Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    I'm up and running - love it, so far. The new sliders and the degree of control in manipulating the image is amazing.

Am a bit concerned, though, that my own BW preset has not carried forth all of my parameters from LR3. (strong contrast in TC is missing)
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    Yes, white and black sliders affect white and black point. Personally, I find that using the white slider and the highlight slider gives me much better results than the old recovery slider (which a friend of mine calls the "make-everything-gray" slider.

I also find that the highlight/shadow sliders do a better job than the old fill light slider. And the exposure tool behaves differently (I think better) than it did in LR3.

The nice thing though is you can always go back to PV2010 if you really like those sliders better. (I emphatically do not!)

+1 on the new sliders. The degree of control is much better, more refined.
  • Options
    NagoC50NagoC50 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    The new picture book templates have me very interested. Does anyone know if they will only work with Blurb? I've poked around and can find nothing on this point.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    NagoC50 wrote: »
    The new picture book templates have me very interested. Does anyone know if they will only work with Blurb? I've poked around and can find nothing on this point.
    I was playing with that, as well. Looks great!

From what I am able to discern, you may either print directly to Blurb - or print to PDF file (that I assume you could use anywhere).
  • Options
    rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    sara505 wrote: »
    I'm up and running - love it, so far. The new sliders and the degree of control in manipulating the image is amazing.

Am a bit concerned, though, that my own BW preset has not carried forth all of my parameters from LR3. (strong contrast in TC is missing)

It looks like tone curves being dropped is a known problem... Hopefully they'll have that fixed soon. headscratch.gif
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    rsquared wrote: »
    It looks like tone curves being dropped is a known problem... Hopefully they'll have that fixed soon. headscratch.gif

Yup - read all about it, here.

Just spent some time on some new images. The newness has slowed me down a bit. Lots of great tools, just gotta figure out which does which. For example? The black slider. In LR3 I moved it to the right for more black. LR4 is the opposite. And there's a whole new combo of blacks, whites, highlights to learn.

Anyway - looking great, so far.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    Yup - read all about it, here.

Just spent some time on some new images. The newness has slowed me down a bit. Lots of great tools, just gotta figure out which does which. For example? The black slider. In LR3 I moved it to the right for more black. LR4 is the opposite. And there's a whole new combo of blacks, whites, highlights to learn.

Anyway - looking great, so far.

Well, at least everything is now consistant in terms of how the sliders operate: left to darken, right to lighten. thumb.gif
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    I did some initial testing with LR4 and put the results up on our blog: Adobe Lightroom 4 is here!
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    At the end of day one, I am dropping back and punting due to the Tone Curve issue, and depending on the outcome of an on-line meeting with my favorite LR guru in a couple of hours, I may return to 3.6 until the bug is worked out.
  • Options
    elgauchogrubelgauchogrub Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    SmugMug Plugin
    sidepocket wrote: »
    Does anybody know if Smugmug exporting is included in Lightroom 4?

I just had to download it again but seems to be working
  • Options
    elgauchogrubelgauchogrub Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    Question: I just installed LR4 upgrade but it leaves LR 3 in place, do I need to keep LR3 installed or can it be removed now that LR 4 is installed and registered?
  • Options
    RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    Woot Woot student cost $75 I just picked up another full version
    BMW Tech
    Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    At the end of day one, I am dropping back and punting due to the Tone Curve issue, and depending on the outcome of an on-line meeting with my favorite LR guru in a couple of hours, I may return to 3.6 until the bug is worked out.

Word is, the Tone Curve issue will be fixed within a couple of days. For now, I'm doing only new work in 4 (for which I have a separate catalog), older, pre-4, work in 3.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    Question: I just installed LR4 upgrade but it leaves LR 3 in place, do I need to keep LR3 installed or can it be removed now that LR 4 is installed and registered?

It can be removed.

However, you may want to leave it in place for a little bit in case any unexpected bugs or issues pop up.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    markr wrote: »
    it can be removed.

However, you may want to leave it in place for a little bit in case any unexpected bugs or issues pop up.

+1
  • Options
    Rob DouglasRob Douglas Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    I'll be downloading it when I get home from work and processing my shots from shooting last night in Time square.
    1D Mark IIn | EF 28-70mm 2.8L | EF 50mm 1.8 | 580EX