Options

Metadata Question

LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
edited March 15, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
Not sure if this belongs here or in the finishing school section but I have a question about metadata. I use LR3 to import all my images and have the metadata presets all setup. I upload some images onto Facebook sometimes and just copied and saved one of the photos and when I try to lookup the metadata for that photo it doesn't have any of my info, anyone know why?
I know the presets put my info in the photos because if I go into my finder and look up the info it shows it, but once I post it online then resave it to my mac or pc all the metadata is gone. The reason I checked it because anyone can download my photo from Facebook and I want my metadata info to be visible. Is there something else I need to do?
D300s D90
Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 18-200mm,Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

http://LouRusso.SmugMug.com

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Is there something else I need to do?
    if you have not already... ... ... watermark it....boldly ... ... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 5, 2012
    Haha, yes I could do that but i'd rather not. Is that how it works when you upload something online, it loses the exif data?
    D300s D90

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    How are you saving your images?? I use photoshop or Lightroom and when saving to preserve all the data you must use "save as" ... not SAVE or SAVE FOR THE WEB and DEVICES that has for me pretty much destroyed all meta data. The other thing is Facebook might be clearing all meta data ... not sure.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 6, 2012
    I use LR3, i know the data is there after I save it because I can see it when i look in the properties when I view it on my pc.
    D300s D90

• Options
    Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    I'm 95% sure that facebook strips out the metadeta themselves no matter how you saved it.
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    I'm 95% sure that facebook strips out the metadeta themselves no matter how you saved it.

Make that a hunnert per cent sure.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2012
    Hahaha, ok. Thanks guys.
    D300s D90

• Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    Yeah it seems to strip out my info. Watermark your pics in some way when posting on Facebook or any other free site. This way when people grab your stuff and make it their stuff, at least everyone knows where it came from. If they want it without watermarks, they can buy from you.
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    Note that there is an option in "Save for the Web" to keep certain metadata - I think there are four options. (right hand side half way up)
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com