Options

Gary fong lightsphere good to use?

ecphotomanecphotoman Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
edited March 15, 2012 in Accessories
Is it any good for use with weddings?
Or is it another gimmick that doesn't deliver?

Or how about flash soft boxes?

Really I'm just looking for a good way to soften the light in a dim venue where bouncing wouldn't work.

Comments

• Options
    lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Like everything else; in some situations, it's great, in others, not so much.
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Yes it is one of the many good options for situations like this. I like my lumiquest contraption. I can't remember if it is a big bounce or a ultra soft. Softens the light a lot. Another interesting option is the flash bender. It is a huge bendable bounce card. There are so many products to choose from here. All of them work for given situations. None are perfect. All of them look goofy.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Yes it is one of the many good options for situations like this. I like my lumiquest contraption. I can't remember if it is a big bounce or a ultra soft. Softens the light a lot. Another interesting option is the flash bender. It is a huge bendable bounce card. There are so many products to choose from here. All of them work for given situations. None are perfect. All of them look goofy.

I've seen some like that on eBay from over seas on the cheap. Are they as good as the name brand modifiers?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,821 moderator
    edited March 12, 2012
    A much more "efficient" flash modifier, which works well in most situations, is a DIY scoop modifier. It works well in most situations, indoors and outdoors, and relies less on room characteristics than many other modifiers. You can make your own for less than $3USD each and it takes little time too.

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

All of the following used the above light scoop modifier:

i-4sSnKRW.jpg

i-fmBNDFW.jpg

i-G37TdhX.jpg

i-3pJBr5d.jpg

912822732_rdkDH-O.jpg
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    A much more "efficient" flash modifier, which works well in most situations, is a DIY scoop modifier. It works well in most situations, indoors and outdoors, and relies less on room characteristics than many other modifiers. You can make your own for less than $3USD each and it takes little time too.

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

All of the following used the above light scoop modifier:

You've shown me this one before and the light quality is quite impressive. Using it in a pro setting does anyone look at you funny when you use a home made modifier?
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    I really like my Lightsphere, but have learned that it is best used in a location where you can benefit from bounced flash. If the ceilings are too high (or no ceilings like outdoors), you will not get good results. Yes, it does offer the 'tupperware lid', but I have found that to be not very effective. When I am in situations where bounce does not work well, then a softbox or in a pinch even a simple 3x5 index card work very well.
  • Options
    waywardfoolwaywardfool Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    ecphotoman wrote: »
    You've shown me this one before and the light quality is quite impressive. Using it in a pro setting does anyone look at you funny when you use a home made modifier?

I use one similar to this. It can be made to look much more 'finished' than this example. On the one shown, I'd probably stitch the velco to the black sheet, before laminating to the white foam, instead of the staples -- they're a big part of it looking so homemade.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012

Most non-photographers also think that the LightSphere products look like Tupperware (which they do.)

I have had comments about using the scoop modifiers, but I just show people what I'm getting from the camera. I've had converts just from the comparison (with and without the scoop).

I use the scoop because it gives me the best results (when used correctly) and it really does look like it belongs on the equipment. The only time I look like an amateur is when my images are amateurish looking. mwink.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2012
    Most non-photographers also think that the LightSphere products look like Tupperware (which they do.)

I have had comments about using the scoop modifiers, but I just show people what I'm getting from the camera. I've had converts just from the comparison (with and without the scoop).

I use the scoop because it gives me the best results (when used correctly) and it really does look like it belongs on the equipment. The only time I look like an amateur is when my images are amateurish looking. mwink.gif

Ok cool. I think ill try building one on my time off this week. Ziggy, I just ordered my first canon. I ended up springing for the 550D
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    Here's one that looks interesting...the better bounce card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNCmuExlHvM
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2012
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Here's one that looks interesting...the better bounce card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNCmuExlHvM

In a bounce situation, using a white or cream ceiling or wall as a bounce surface, the Better Bounce Card and Demb Flip-It are 2 devices I can recommend. Of course, if you want to shoot upward or downward, that messes up the bounce geometry, and if you have dark surfaces or outdoors then bounce is not indicated.

The scoop modifier works in all of these situations, and in some circumstances it provides an excellent "feathering" of light from foreground to background:

488831731_aQdCN-O.jpg

754196938_LfSb7-O.jpg

The scoop is also highly effective at close range:

488158135_nKqPt-O.jpg

The LightSphere and bounce devices just cannot duplicate the versatility and efficiency of the scoop devices in many shooting scenarios.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    My biggest issue with the Fong diffuser and a few other "aftermarket" devices has been that they make my camera top heavy and they fall off.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2012
    Have you guys seen this thing?
    Its the lumiquest 80/20

http://www.lumiquest.com/store/products/LumiQuest-80%252d20.html

It is supposed to send 20% of the light direct and 80% up. Looks kinda cool.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    All I can say is, it just cost me a few cents to put a ~8" triangle of white craft foam in EVERY ONE of my four or five camera bags. Oh and a black rubber band. That's really all you need, and it looks just fine as professionalism goes.

The one reason why I sometimes dig out the lightsphere is that because it is circular, I can point it in ANY direction and still get the same amount of "forward" light. All other card-type diffusers are at a disadvantage because they restrict how you are able to bounce your light. As someone who doesn't use a vertical grip and often rotates his camera to the left OR the right for vertical shots; I have found the lightsphere to be useful in those situations...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    Using it in a pro setting does anyone look at you funny when you use a home made modifier?

Am not a pro and don't (normally) take pics similar to those here, but I have used scoop type modifiers in various situations.

I've made mine from juice cartons (with aluminised inner surfaces) ...and on a good day have even disguised the original artwork by spraying it with matt black paint, although the one I used at younger daughter's graduation ceremony was in 'natural' finish, as I'd forgotten to bring the 'deluxe' one :)

As I also use such (recycled) material for my 'contact' cards I give to people, I've always got a ready supply.

pp
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2012
    Have you guys seen this thing?
    Its the lumiquest 80/20

http://www.lumiquest.com/store/products/LumiQuest-80%252d20.html

It is supposed to send 20% of the light direct and 80% up. Looks kinda cool.

The DIY better bounce card device has more configurability, yielding more versatility. Neither gives the all of the capabilities of the scoop modifiers.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2012
    The DIY better bounce card device has more configurability, yielding more versatility. Neither gives the all of the capabilities of the scoop modifiers.

The store bought scoop costs 50 bucks lol and it looks home made anyway lol.

What kind of materials should I buy and are there plans/instructions on how to do it myself?
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2012
    The store bought scoop costs 50 bucks lol and it looks home made anyway lol.

What kind of materials should I buy and are there plans/instructions on how to do it myself?

Most fabric stores or fabric/craft departments will have the "Foamies" sheets and velcro. I bought my supplies at the local WMart.

Look at my first post in this thread, post #5, for the link to the instructions on how to put it together.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2012
    Most fabric stores or fabric/craft departments will have the "Foamies" sheets and velcro. I bought my supplies at the local WMart.

Look at my first post in this thread, post #5, for the link to the instructions on how to put it together.

Awesome. Thanks Ziggy I appreciate that.
  • Options
    theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    I really like my Fong collapsible Lightsphere. It's good for certain occasions when bouncing produces too much light indoors. I use it on my 580EX II.

However, I always tell people it's the most expensive piece of Tupperware you'll ever own.