Options

Amanda - Senior 2012

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited April 20, 2012 in People
I've begun processing a set I shot on Saturday. Some of you may recognize the face here. I shot Amanda's sweet sixteen pics awhile back. These are from her senior portrait session.

I had no plan at all for a location and instead we drove around finding targets of opportunity!

1-
i-fCb2SBt-XL.jpg

2-
i-3KNgfsj-XL.jpg

3-
i-jrSgMbj-XL.jpg

4-
i-BhcCVLp-XL.jpg

5-
i-RpFdSTq-XL.jpg

6-
i-Hz4f4hC-XL.jpg

7-
i-swPjH9Q-XL.jpg

8-
i-P7g5FkC-XL.jpg

9-
i-48Fv52g-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2012
    ahh do the girl a favor in 7, fix the mushroom for her..other than that you make me sigh.. as usual! I am favoring 3, 4 and 5 because I love the surroundings so much, and love your way with that creamy color.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2012
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    ahh do the girl a favor in 7, fix the mushroom for her..other than that you make me sigh.. as usual! I am favoring 3, 4 and 5 because I love the surroundings so much, and love your way with that creamy color.

Thanks for commenting!

The REAL fix is to scoot her further to the edge of the seat!

An outake from the location where 3,4,and 5 were shot..... although.... 3 was shot outside a church across the street.

i-L9m2Z4X-M.jpg
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2012
    I like 2, 3, 5 and 9 a lot.thumb.gifthumb

#1 is nice too but there's something off in her expression.headscratch.gif

The rest I'm kind of meh, but that's just me.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    nice series but i like 8and 9. lighting in 8 and here expression in 9
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    Love 3-4-7 and 8 is a WOW! Especially great job on those!
    Jeff, in the short time I've been here and seen you work it really has risen quite abit, congrats.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    Nice series.
    High school senior? They didn't look like this when I was a kid....don't ask :)....

I like 9 the best. Great location and loving those heels.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2012
    Thanks for commenting everyone. Ill be sure to reply to your comments as time allows.
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Love 3-4-7 and 8 is a WOW! Especially great job on those!
    Jeff, in the short time I've been here and seen you work it really has risen quite abit, congrats.

Charles I really appreciate the kind words.

A little about #8, as it was a kind of "redemption shot".

She brought the most beautiful prom dress to the shoot. Lots of gals do, but when she put it on it was obvious...even to me....that this was THE dress for her. We had waited until after dark to shoot that dress. She wanted me to do a shot similar to another after dark prom dress shot she had seen on my website. When she asked for that I cringed....remembering the great effort it took to pull off that shot. And you will probably remember a comment I made about using a flashlight to assist when focusing in tough light when we spoke on the phone. Well #$%@, I had brought no flashlight. I first tried using the STE2 to assist with focus and fire the flash with the 70-200....as I wanted the bokeh. But it just wouldn't grab a good solid focus so I eventually shot a few with the 17-55mm. The STE2 focus assist range works a treat with that lens....at the sacrifice of some shallow DOF though.

So we switched locations. Same issues. Just couldnt get enough ambient light on her to get a good focus....or a light would mis fire...or the wind would blow the dress out of shape...or blow her hair across her face...or.....whatever! She easily tired....I was frustrated....and I called it a wrap. I told her that we could wait and see what I got, but that I planned to reshoot the prom dress on another day, and that if she wasn't completely stoked about what we had gotten to "not be shy" about calling for that reshoot.

Uuuuuuhg!!!rolleyes1.gif

So she changed clothes, and on the way back to her car I asked if she wanted to go get a shot in that dress on the LSU campus where she plans to attend school. Yup.thumb.gif

The lighting was simple. The wind had picked up, my helper gone home, so I had to shoot with a bare 580EXII(the umbrella wouldnt self stand!). I set her on the bench under a street lamp that helped with focus...and also used the STE2 and 17-55mm lens. 3 shots, 3 keepers. I liked the wider angle tilted shot shared here.

I plan to sift through the prom dress shots today and get them up for her to see. Id still prefer to reshoot it though!mwink.gif
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    Jeff I 100% totally love all of your work! You have some great poses, lighting, and compostion. My favorites are 1,3,8, and 9. I like 2, but her right arm like that looks really awkward to me. It doenst look comfortable. Anyways great stuff! I will admit I "borrow" your poses!
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    Well, I hate to repeat what everyone is saying without adding anything new but...there is nothing to add! Absolutely wonderful work! Keep it up and thanks for sharing!
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2012
    I like 2, 3, 5 and 9 a lot.thumb.gifthumb

#1 is nice too but there's something off in her expression.headscratch.gif

The rest I'm kind of meh, but that's just me.

Thanks for commenting. We worked really hard for her "no smile" look as in #1. She sure had it nailed for #3.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2012
    wave01 wrote: »
    nice series but i like 8and 9. lighting in 8 and here expression in 9

The lighting in 8 was stupid easy. I really wanted to bounce out of my 60 inch convertable umbrella, but it was to breezy to keep it upright.ne_nau.gif

Thanks for commenting and welcome to Dgrin.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2012
    zoomer wrote: »
    Nice series.
    High school senior? They didn't look like this when I was a kid....don't ask :)....

I like 9 the best. Great location and loving those heels.

She is definately a stunning young woman. She has agreed to pose for a concept I have rolling around in my head. The idea will be to offer a reasonably priced "facebook shoot". A 45 minute digital only shoot. No prints.....but will offer optimized low res for facebook etc. The conceptual part will involve to location and attire. I am going to make the switch to full frame first. On one or the other of the 5D bodies. Im a few months away from that.

I so far have two young ladies who have volunteered to shoot these....and possibly a third. This will help me to get some photos out on FB and also showcase the location as a choice for those clients.

Fingers crossed!eek7.gif

BTW: I bet they did look like THAT. We just dont remember....
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2012
    Jeff I 100% totally love all of your work! You have some great poses, lighting, and compostion. My favorites are 1,3,8, and 9. I like 2, but her right arm like that looks really awkward to me. It doenst look comfortable. Anyways great stuff! I will admit I "borrow" your poses!

Hey thanks for the super kind words.

#2 was a standard hands on the hips pose, but I felt like it wasn't really singing. I asked her to draw her shoulder up and her hand naturally rotated that way when she did it. I REALLY liked the look, and will definately use it again. I like all the angles I think.ne_nau.gif

I would probably like it less if the fingers of the opposite hand weren't just so.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2012
    Wachel wrote: »
    Well, I hate to repeat what everyone is saying without adding anything new but...there is nothing to add! Absolutely wonderful work! Keep it up and thanks for sharing!

Hey I really appreciate that. Thank you for taking the time to comment.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2012
    ....well....

Since I mentioned targets of opportunity I suppose I should have included this out take.....

0061-L.jpg

...and one more to share...

0075-XL.jpg
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 5, 2012
    Wicked set. Benchmark quality work. She's a doll. Like Zoomer said, it's hard to believe this was a senior shoot.
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    Very nice, I especially like 3, 6, and 9. I have to agree though about the arm being super awkward in #2. I think it's a combination of the extreme bend in the wrist (looks like her hand is going to break off) and the fact that the angle of the forearm makes it appear freakishly short to me.
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2012
    #1 is just a stunner. Love your use of texture on it.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    avangardphotoavangardphoto Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2012
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2012
    HOLY SMOKERS, Jeff! Nice work! Love your new light set up, how fun!!