Options

"Hey. You Got Any Used Fast Glass?"

ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
edited October 10, 2005 in Cameras
Says I to the girl behind the counter (small camera shop). :wink

Huh? :scratch (she says, confused look on her face)

I explain myself. :):

She did. :thumb

28mm, 2.8
50mm, 1.4
100mm, 2.8

And I got some nice prices on them, they're old old old, totally manual with no data provided to camera, let alone auto focus and all..... :rofl

Focus/shmocus! They're so clear! The color's *rock* :thumb

Straight out of camera, shot a while before I got run out of a Best Buy. :lol3

Iso 250, maybe 320? Shutter 1/40th, generally the same for the rest.
38981110-L.jpg

38981116-L.jpg

38981120-L.jpg

So, tomorrow when I can make some time I'm taking them out for a little test run.

Anything to watch for in old glass? Thought about mildew, maybe condensation trapped in there or something? They seem to look good so far, but some small aperature shooting is required for the real deal. :wxwax
"There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg

Comments

• Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2005
    Oh yea... LUV that old quality MF glass! Got me a 50/1.4 and a 135/2.8 that are sooooo sweeeeet! The 135 has impressed me to no end, but I'm now looking at adding a focus screen to the D70 to assist with the MF lenses.

The 135/2.8...
    0.jpg

Shots with the 135/2.8...
    2.jpg

6.jpg

25.jpg

30.jpg

The 50/1.4...
    0.jpg

Luvin' MF primes more and more...
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2005
    Anything to watch for in old glass? Thought about mildew, maybe condensation trapped in there or something? They seem to look good so far, but some small aperature shooting is required for the real deal. umph.gif
    Yea... now that you mention it... thumb.gif close the aperture all the way, then with the AI lever (on the mount) open the aperture and make sure it snaps shut (spring loaded) easily. My 50/1.4 didn't and I had to have it cleaned. My cost was ~$35 for the cleaning. The grease from the focusing mech got onto the aperture blades and made them stick. Also, make sure the focus ring is not to loose. It should be rather firm to focus. You don't want it to be to easy.

One last thing... make sure you ALWAYS store your lenses mount UP. This will keep the grease from the focusing mech from getting onto the aperture blades.

Any other questions? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    Yea... now that you mention it... thumb.gif close the aperture all the way, then with the AI lever (on the mount) open the aperture and make sure it snaps shut (spring loaded) easily. My 50/1.4 didn't and I had to have it cleaned. My cost was ~$35 for the cleaning. The grease from the focusing mech got onto the aperture blades and made them stick. Also, make sure the focus ring is not to loose. It should be rather firm to focus. You don't want it to be to easy.

One last thing... make sure you ALWAYS store your lenses mount UP. This will keep the grease from the focusing mech from getting onto the aperture blades.

Any other questions? headscratch.gif
    The aperture seems to shut cleanly - no troubles. And the focus feels smooth, with buttery resistance. thumb.gif I appreciate the tip on storage, it never would have occured to me!

That 135 looks sweet! And that 50mm i found looks to be indentical to yours. I am simply amazed at this glass, man.

39302556-M.jpg
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2005
    The aperture seems to shut cleanly - no troubles. And the focus feels smooth, with buttery resistance. thumb.gif I appreciate the tip on storage, it never would have occured to me!

That 135 looks sweet! And that 50mm i found looks to be indentical to yours. I am simply amazed at this glass, man.

39302556-M.jpg
    Sweeeet! Sounds/looks like you found a good lens. Just keep an eye on it. You'll know if/when it has issues. And storage is important. The 50 is a no flash, ISO800 low-light sweetie and a half!

If you ever find a 135/2.8, I'd suggest you snag it. Here's one to keep your eye on over the next couple days. Another with issues... But, keep your eyes pealed! There's some really nice glass out there. Oh, and KEH has a few.
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    i like old manual glass too
    i have bought a 200/4 pentax smc takumar,m42 screw mount from ritz collectible and have a 300/4 smc takumar on the way from keh-ok so no auto focus-but you can still shoot in aperture priority and i havent found focus to be too much of an issue-the images are sharp and good colour rendition and less than 10% of cost of comparable auto focus lenses,and solid all metal construction plus super hard rare earth coatings that are too costly to produce these days..
    Seymore wrote:
    Sweeeet! Sounds/looks like you found a good lens. Just keep an eye on it. You'll know if/when it has issues. And storage is important. The 50 is a no flash, ISO800 low-light sweetie and a half!

If you ever find a 135/2.8, I'd suggest you snag it. Here's one to keep your eye on over the next couple days. Another with issues... But, keep your eyes pealed! There's some really nice glass out there. Oh, and KEH has a few.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.