Options

OK Everyone, here's a chance to first guess me

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited April 12, 2012 in People
I have a shoot scheduled at the end of the month with a rather terrific prop:

142621331.jpg

Not sure if it will be outdoors or indoors but it will definitely be at the nightmare time (10:00 AM to 2:00 PM) because that's when the jet is available.

Model will, of course, be Cindy wearing camo gear and a camo bikini.
p250205920-3.jpg

Obviously, I DO NOT want to screw this up so any suggestions re lighting (outdoors or in) are HUGELY appreciated. Keep in mind, I may have an assistant (the jet owner) this time. My lighting kit is a 580 EX and two 430 Ex speedlights with all sorts of modifiers, plus a 5-in-1 reflector.

Thanks.
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    I'd make sure you have an assistant, even if you need to take one with you - no point leaving it to chance when you're going to HAVE to make it work.

Didn't Swartzy do a bunch of shots with a plane? Worth searching in here. I think he did them kinda Fantasy 40's style, but worth a look.

The camo/bikini "look" is of no personal interest to me so no idea where to find samples, but probably makes sense for you to google around to see if you can find something similar, and reverse-engineer the lighting of the ones you like.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2012
    Thanks Diva.

Now let's say she's wearing jeans and a sweatshirt. Does that change anything??
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2012
    rolleyes1.gif

Seriously - the whole swimsuit-with-hardware-is-sexy thing is a whole genre I don't really "get" ne_nau.gif Boys clearly love it though, so enjoy - makes for some great photographic discussion!!! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    rolleyes1.gif

Seriously - the whole swimsuit-with-hardware-is-sexy thing is a whole genre I don't really "get" ne_nau.gif Boys clearly love it though, so enjoy - makes for some great photographic discussion!!! iloveyou.gif

Eh, I don't get excited by the girls with hardware thing either. When it comes down to it, I just want the girl, lol.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2012
    Back to lighting - if it is inside and you want to light it up all over, aren't you going to need a lot more than 3 speedlights to do the job? Can you use one of those parabolic umbrellas and a quad mount or something?

Just thinking out loud. I'm definitely interested in the technicals on this one :)
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    Couple O' Questions:

Is she going to be allowed to sit on/in the plane?

How tall of a step ladder are you bringing with you?
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    Looks like a soviet jet, you better get soviet uniform ;-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    Use your speedlights in Ettl and go either manual or av on the camera. Using this combination you can get some crazy sync times all the way up to 1/2000 even at 2.8. With a combination of boosting or reducing your cameras exposure mechanism and boosting or reducing your flashes output you can do alot outside. Just keep the flash as close as you can if you've got direct sunlight. I'd throw the modifiers away as they will eat up light if you've got high noon light. Don't forget you can block sunlight with a gobo if you've got the other guy. Use your flashes in master/sync mode an use the infra red it the sunlight will permit it.

If you flash is in the shot you should be able to clone it out if you pay attention to the shot.

Can't wait to see the results.
  • Options
    MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    Find Moose on the site. He is the best at taking plane shots that I have seen
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Looks like a soviet jet, you better get soviet uniform ;-)

Or, better yet, a mechanics uniform. If it's a soviet made jet, nine times out of ten it's going to need to be worked on! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2012
    Thanks all.

The jet is a Czech fighter that is now privately owned. She'll be in it, on it and next to it.

I'm not sure yet if we will be indoors or out but sunrise/sunset is not an option. It's midday nightmares or nothing.

As for Cindy, I'm having second thoughts about a bikini (actually I have LOTS of thoughts about Cindy in them iloveyou.gif). I kind of like the overalls/mechanic idea and if I can find a poopy suit close to her size, that might be cool too.

Lighting - What I got is what I got. If inside, I do have that big softlighter and a couple of umbrellas that might work. The stepladder goes with the jet. Probably 7 feet or so.

Hack, I'm gonna definitely try that idea. I'm also gonna get some Native Am friends of mine to do "Cloud but no rain" dances.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    The jet is a Czech fighter
    And where, do you think, the entire Soviet block was getting their weapons from? mwink.gif
    The isignia clearly marks it as a Red Army property. Most likely it was "sold" from one of of the USSR bases in Eastern Europe by some enterpreneaurial-minded high ranking officer, like a chief of the airbase...

And yeah, I second the motion of putting your model into the motorist half jump suite (and nothing else:-). A few grease marks would finalize the makeup...deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    If you have a tri-bracket for the speedlights I'd use that as the main light and your reflector for fill. Or you could get away with just the main hard light in these probably since the jet is so cool ;)
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012
    I have a shoot scheduled at the end of the month with a rather terrific prop:

142621331.jpg

Not sure if it will be outdoors or indoors but it will definitely be at the nightmare time (10:00 AM to 2:00 PM) because that's when the jet is available.

Model will, of course, be Cindy wearing camo gear and a camo bikini.
    p250205920-3.jpg

Obviously, I DO NOT want to screw this up so any suggestions re lighting (outdoors or in) are HUGELY appreciated. Keep in mind, I may have an assistant (the jet owner) this time. My lighting kit is a 580 EX and two 430 Ex speedlights with all sorts of modifiers, plus a 5-in-1 reflector.

Thanks.

What airport will you be shooting at? If I am off that day I might be able to stop by and be your voice activated light stand.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    Thanks all.

Lighting - What I got is what I got. If inside, I do have that big softlighter and a couple of umbrellas that might work. The stepladder goes with the jet. Probably 7 feet or so.
    I agree with Diva, 3 speedlites aren't going to do the job if you need to light the whole plane. There are lots of great rental shops -- plop down some $$ and get some gear for this shoot if you want to take advantage of this terrific prop. If you're working with partially with ambient light, however, you better check out the color ahead of time. I imagine the lights in the hanger or the runway are going to be some sort of ugly fluorescent mess. If so, you'll need to gel your strobes to match or else things are going to look real funky.
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    Or, better yet, a mechanics uniform. If it's a soviet made jet, nine times out of ten it's going to need to be worked on! rolleyes1.gif

Soviet jets are like Harley-Davidsons? Who knew?
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    Scott Kelby has an ipad app called Scott Kelby's Lighting Recipes - lesson 8 is a shoot with pilot & helicopter outside & inside. If you can access that it might give you some ideas (I think it was a free app)
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2012
    John, I have 2 Alien Bee 800's, 2 Alien Bee 400's, 3 transmitters and 4 Paul Buff Cybercync receivers. Plus all the soft boxes, umbrellas, light stands, booms, etc. I also have 3 Lumopro 160 flash units that have built in slaves. My friend has the new Lithium Paul Buff battery that he would loan me. Plus my daughter is a USAF pilot and has lots of petite flight gear. I also have my old Navy flight gear (Almost Vintage). I would like to help (gratis) if it works with my schedule.
    Cheers,
    John L
    flew2low@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2012
    Thanks all.

Amanda, I'll look that up as soon as I leave here.

JohnL, the airport is in Montgomery, Orange County NY near Stewart AFB. The shoot is from 10:00is to 2:00 ish.

I'm very grateful for your offer BUT I'd need to ask the owner and possibly the FBO if there are going to be more than the three of us in attendance. Just a courtesy you understand but I don't want to surprise them with a full crew.

Let me know if that timing works and, if so, I'll go about asking the various important people. Either way, thank you for the too kind offer.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2012
    Thanks all.

Amanda, I'll look that up as soon as I leave here.

JohnL, the airport is in Montgomery, Orange County NY near Stewart AFB. The shoot is from 10:00is to 2:00 ish.

I'm very grateful for your offer BUT I'd need to ask the owner and possibly the FBO if there are going to be more than the three of us in attendance. Just a courtesy you understand but I don't want to surprise them with a full crew.

Let me know if that timing works and, if so, I'll go about asking the various important people. Either way, thank you for the too kind offer.

What date?
    John L
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2012
    Duh.

Sunday, April 22.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2012
    Duh.

Sunday, April 22.

Darn! If I didn't have a booking that day, I'd have been tempted to fire up the old 182 and fly in and join you for this too, that is, if I could of gotten the invite. :D
  • Options
    Mike BishopMike Bishop Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2012
    I'd like to see some pull backs when it happens. It's sounding like a great shoot and a fun challenge. I'm very interested in how you end up overcoming any lighting issues.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2012
    I'd like to see some pull backs when it happens. It's sounding like a great shoot and a fun challenge. I'm very interested in how you end up overcoming any lighting issues.

YOU'RE interested. How do you think I feel?rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2012
    Darn! If I didn't have a booking that day, I'd have been tempted to fire up the old 182 and fly in and join you for this too, that is, if I could of gotten the invite. :D

I'd be happy to include you in the courtesy request to the owner but are you sure burning that much AvGas is worth it just to watch me? Or is it possible the thought of Cindy and a fighter have some interest to a straight male pilot? Hmmmmmm.headscratch.gif