Options

Strollercam! (DIY video solutions)

IreneRojasIreneRojas Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited April 15, 2012 in Video
Last night, I went to the monthly meeting of the DC Film Salon. The topic was do-it-yourself video gear solutions. Les Owen, of the US Army Band, presented his strollercam rig. Check out my blog post about making it and lessons learned.

http://irenerojas.com/2012/04/12/diy-video-solutions/

Feel free to share any of your DIY creations here or on the blog.
Thanks y'all!
Irene
Irene Rojas
BlogWebsite

Comments

• Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    Irene, am not into video, but DIY rigs are a different matter, since I like to get close to water level when shooting appropriate subjects.

I've tried tripods - I also use a video head with the 500 when using one - but just can't get low enough for my tastes ... assuming I want to keep the head out of the water.

Linked pics show one rig, which I can 'plug into'a river bank or similar - 2 contact points at the bank, third is via the end of the leg that lowers onto the river bed by rotating the knob.

Other gear is based on a 9in diameter lazy susan turntable - this offers support outside the mass centre of the rig, rather than a central vertical pivot - and a home made bean bag.

Another rig is based around a similar turnable mounted atop an old cast ali washing machine pulley -this I just throw into shallow (fairly level) water, wriggle around to level ... and use.

I suspect these rigs aren't of much use / interest to video types as there's no head involved ... and you don't want to take low level shots of water fowl anyway :)

... but it might just offer a tad of inspiration,maybe ... ?

pp

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/pppix/bankside.jpg
  • Options
    Rob PauzaRob Pauza Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    Funny. I've never seen a Strollercam, but have seen plenty of wheelchair dollys. Really, anything with large wheels should move smoothly on even surfaces. Sure beats putting down track if you don't have to.

-Rob
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
  • Options
    IreneRojasIreneRojas Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2012
    Thanks y'all! I love seeing photos of people's DIY projects!
    Irene Rojas
    BlogWebsite