Options

Testing the AF on the D4

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited May 3, 2012 in Cameras
Hi Y'all,

My D4 arrived last night. Now I could have been mature and sat down and read the manual and learned how to operate the new camera. :nah However since I haven't tried mature in the last 65 years why change now.

So this morning I went down to the Viera Wetlands and tested out the camera to see if the AF was as improved as alleged. For testing purposes I used the 200-400 f/4 VR I lens with the 1.7 TC. I used this set up because I had tried it on the D3s and quickly gave up on it because of the poor AF performance.

I took around 315 pictures over three and a half hours. The battery had been at 96% when I left the house and was at 73% when I returned. Not as good as the D3s but not too shabby either.

The following pics are never going to appear in National Geographic. I passed up quite a few photo ops because the subjects were stationary and didn't provide a test of the AF. I was looking for sudden or erratic movement that would test the AF.

This anhinga wasn't a real test but I like the capture ISO 640, handheld
D40101-XL.jpg

This was a bit more of a challenge, a black bellied whistling duck who w/o warning left its perch

ISO 640 1/800 sec, handheld, If I had expected it to take off I would have gone for a higher shutter speed
D40064-XL.jpg

D40065-XL.jpg

Normally I would have culled these because of the softness due to the slow shutter speed but they were captures that I would have missed totally on the D3s.

I moved on to a spot favored by black crowned night herons

ISO 800 1/1000 sec f/8, tripod, Really Right Stuff Gimbel Head, D40152-XL.jpg

This heron came out of nowhere. I had been focused on a juvenile night heron when this adult flew in.

The juvenile night heron suddenly struck at the water and came up with a frog. ISO 500 f/8 1/1000 sec, tripod, RRS gimbel head
D40162-XL.jpg

D40164-XL.jpg

I took a series of 17 captures to try to capture "the flip". Water birds will flip a victim between their bills to position it correctly before swallowing it. It happens very, very quickly. I have captured it numerous times but I have never "seen" it with my eyes.
D40176-XL.jpg

A great egret thoughtfully provided some sudden movements for the test

ISO 1250,tripod, RRS gimbel head
D40128-XL.jpg

ISO 500, tripod, RRS gimbel head
D40299-XL.jpg

To complete the test I went over to a spot where cattle egrets were gathering nesting material. I had tried these same subjects a few days earlier with the D3s and the 500mm f/4 with a 1.4 TC with no success. These egrets are flying out of shadows into bright light from fairly cluttered BG. They fly fast and don't use predictable flight patterns.

D40339-XL.jpg

D40340-XL.jpg

In conclusion, I would have to say that the D4's AF is a definite improvement over the D3s and the best I have ever shot with.

Now I'm off to go read a manual. :snore
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    Thanks for the perspective and the great images. My pre-order of the D4 marks not only my first move to a profession body, but also my transition to Nikon, so I'm excited for it all around.

Autofocus was something that I had given a good deal of thought to when moving to this new camera. My 5DII has some great features, although I never found autofocus to be one of them.

I have two 4lb chihuahua dogs that I enjoy shooting, but frequently have issues with focus. You can imagine how fast a 4lb dog is zig zagging across the yard chasing a ball. Looks like the D4 will give me the best equipment to make those captures. The rest will be up to me.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited April 27, 2012
    WooHoo. Sounds/looks like the good stuff. WTG Nikon and Harry. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2012
    Helvegr wrote: »
    Thanks for the perspective and the great images. My pre-order of the D4 marks not only my first move to a profession body, but also my transition to Nikon, so I'm excited for it all around.

Autofocus was something that I had given a good deal of thought to when moving to this new camera. My 5DII has some great features, although I never found autofocus to be one of them.

I have two 4lb chihuahua dogs that I enjoy shooting, but frequently have issues with focus. You can imagine how fast a 4lb dog is zig zagging across the yard chasing a ball. Looks like the D4 will give me the best equipment to make those captures. The rest will be up to me.

I'm sure that you will love the camera. It has a learning curve but then all new cameras have that. The AF on the D4 should make you a very happy camper
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    Thanks for the test. Just got a call yesterday that my D4 will be shipped to me on Monday. Should have it by the end of the week.
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2012
    MJRPHOTO wrote: »
    Thanks for the test. Just got a call yesterday that my D4 will be shipped to me on Monday. Should have it by the end of the week.

Congrats on the new camera. I'll be interested in hearing how it works out for you.
    Harry
  • Options
    thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    The shots are for the most part beautiful. But on some of the shots, the bokeh seems a little too busy for my tastes. Which lense has that type of bokeh?
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2012
    The shots are for the most part beautiful. But on some of the shots, the bokeh seems a little too busy for my tastes. Which lense has that type of bokeh?

Actually most of these images would have ended up in my trash can. The bokeh was busy because the egrets like places with lots of vegetation hence the busy BG. As I indicated in the OP I used the 200-400 f4 VR 1 with the 1.7 TC. This outing was not for keepers but to test the AF on the D4. Most cameras can focus on a bird against a clear blue sky but that's not much a test of the AF.
    Harry
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Congrats on the new D4 I really like the Juv Night Heron.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    Congrats on the new camera. I'll be interested in hearing how it works out for you.

I will post photos when i get it.
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Hi,

Thanks for the series.

I haven't had the chance to try out the 1.7 with the 200-400/II but will certainly give it a shot given your results.

As well as the great AF, the other game changer for me on this camera is the buffer depth. If there is a long flight sequence you've got 100 shots at 11fps to get it.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2012
    SteveF wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for the series.

I haven't had the chance to try out the 1.7 with the 200-400/II but will certainly give it a shot given your results.

As well as the great AF, the other game changer for me on this camera is the buffer depth. If there is a long flight sequence you've got 100 shots at 11fps to get it.

The buffer on the D$ is mind blowing. It handled the sequence of the night heron w/o a hiccup.
    Harry
  • Options
    HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    If I may ask did your D4 come with the XQD card and the reader like some people have reported? I've gotten mixed messages ranging from saying only NPS members got this bonus, to only EU people got it.

The extra card and reader would be a nice plus considering the wait time.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2012
    Helvegr wrote: »
    If I may ask did your D4 come with the XQD card and the reader like some people have reported? I've gotten mixed messages ranging from saying only NPS members got this bonus, to only EU people got it.

The extra card and reader would be a nice plus considering the wait time.

Yep it came with a 16 GB XQD card and a XQD reader.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2012
    Harry
    Got my D4 today. Hope to test it out on friday
    www.mjrphoto.net
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2012
    MJRPHOTO wrote: »
    Harry
    Got my D4 today. Hope to test it out on friday

Congratulations, I think you will be smiling by Friday's end.

I tested out the AF with the 2.0 TC on the 300mm f/4 on Tuesday with excellent results. Its nice being able to get up to 600mm with a handheld lens.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2012
    Might be selling one of my D3, D300 and D7000 body's to pick up another one in a few months. I have a local camera shop that owes me a favour and will give me one at his cost. Not sure how much that will save me from list of $5995.
    www.mjrphoto.net
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited May 3, 2012
    Congratulations MJRPHOTO. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums