Options

5D3 face recog

Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited May 25, 2012 in Cameras
I've just discovered that the 5D3 does face recognition. If you fire up the EOS utility, do remote viewing, there is an option to turn on face recognition. On the PC screen it finds the face in the scene and follows it around as the model moves in the scene.

After I did that I did face recog when I put it into video mode, again following the model as she walked though the scene.

I can't find anything in the menus that controls it nor can I find anything in the feature set on canonusa.com that says the 5D3 does face recog. Face recog is one of the features for the 1Dx and it is the same auto focus system. Maybe it's not really a feature of the 5D3 but there isn't a way to hide it from the EOS utility because under the covers it the same auto focus as the 1Dx.

Has anyone else tried to use face recog on the 5D3?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,854 moderator
    edited May 23, 2012
    Page 200 of the User Manual has a mention of "Face detection Live mode".

Page 207 shows where to select either Live Mode or Live Mode-Face Detect.

Pages 208-209 discusses how (Face Detect) Live Mode works.

Page 210 has some additional notes.

http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Owners-Manuals/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-DSLR-Camera.pdf
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2012
    Thanks Ziggy.... It wasn't in the index and I guess I just "scan without seeing" when I went though the manual. The icon for it is obvious, now that I know what it is:D

ziggy53 wrote: »
    Page 200 of the User Manual has a mention of "Face detection Live mode".

Page 207 shows where to select either Live Mode or Live Mode-Face Detect.

Pages 208-209 discusses how (Face Detect) Live Mode works.

Page 210 has some additional notes.

http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Owners-Manuals/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-DSLR-Camera.pdf
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,854 moderator
    edited May 23, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    ... Face recog is one of the features for the 1Dx and it is the same auto focus system. Maybe it's not really a feature of the 5D3 but there isn't a way to hide it from the EOS utility because under the covers it the same auto focus as the 1Dx. ...

The Canon 5D MKIII and 1D X appear to share the same (or a very similar) AF sensor, but the AF systems are different. The 1D X does use the metering sensor data coupled with the AF sensor data to perform at least some AF tasks (colour-tracking information). It is not clear whether the 5D MKIII does something similar (coupling the AF section and metering section), but the metering section of the 5D MKIII appears to be more similar to the 7D. Indeed the 5D MKIII and 7D both mention the same low-light AF slowdown in their respective owner manuals, and that information coincided with the 7D metering sensor sytem.

The 1D X also has a lot more processing horsepower with 2 - Digic 5+ processors plus 1 - Digic 4 processor, versus the 5D MKIII with 1 - Digic 5+ processor plus some additional circuitry (undisclosed, but it may be the Digic 4). How much, if any, impact the difference in processors makes is not clear.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    I've just discovered that the 5D3 does face recognition. If you fire up the EOS utility, do remote viewing, there is an option to turn on face recognition. On the PC screen it finds the face in the scene and follows it around as the model moves in the scene.

After I did that I did face recog when I put it into video mode, again following the model as she walked though the scene.

I can't find anything in the menus that controls it nor can I find anything in the feature set on canonusa.com that says the 5D3 does face recog. Face recog is one of the features for the 1Dx and it is the same auto focus system. Maybe it's not really a feature of the 5D3 but there isn't a way to hide it from the EOS utility because under the covers it the same auto focus as the 1Dx.

Has anyone else tried to use face recog on the 5D3?

I guess "Face recognition" is in the EOS utility program, might be useful for video - not so much for portraits (ironically)
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2012
    Face recog doesn't require the EOS utility to be enabled, as Ziggy pointed out, it' just one of the focusing modes you can chose from the menus in the camera.

One of the advantages of it is that it changes the auto focus from trying to focus on the the nearest thing near the image to focusing on the nearest face in the image.
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    I guess "Face recognition" is in the EOS utility program, might be useful for video - not so much for portraits (ironically)