Lighting and Large Format Final photos

RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
edited May 31, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
Thought I would post these up and see what every one thought about them. This is three images from my final project for lighting and large format class. I shoot them with intentions for the feel of product photography of a bycicle.

Final-image-1-XL.jpg

Final-Image-3-XL.jpg

Final-image-2-XL.jpg

thanks for any comments.
Ryan
BMW Tech
Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,229 moderator
    edited May 27, 2012
    I am liking the basic feel of the photos, and the processing looks perfect. Sounds like an interesting course. Just so you know where I'm coming from, I was involved with the bicycle industry, from the dealer point of view, for 33 years. So I'll offer some thoughts, and please take these as truly knit picking, as I've literally pored through thousands upon thousands of bicycle product shots in dealer and consumer catalogs.

#1, the head badge shot. While the focus point is on the badge (really - logo) and is spot on, The cables kinda mess with my mind there. I'd almost rather see a naked frame shot of just the head tube and then the rest of the frame becoming soft-bokeh fading into the background.

#2, front quarter. If this is a fork shot, I'd also want to see the drop-outs in there. If it is a brake shot, a front on shot of the calipers might make more of an impression, as it would dominate the pic (seen closer). As it is, I don't know what the subject component is. If it is a mood shot, it begins to work. The rim and tire might need to also be in focus here too. What I like best about it is the composition - that is very well thought out, and shows off the domination of the brand name on the bike quite well.

#3, the brake lever/head area shot. Again, very well exposed and good comp. However, I am lost in what the subject is. If it is the lever, then I want to see more of the hood (though the Ultegra series name would be lost). Perhaps a side shot or straight on?

For me, a (bicycle) product shot is in simplifying it all down to THE part or parts that are connected in purpose, and not sections of a bike (unless its a kids bike). An example of that might be a shift lever and one derailleur, or a brake lever and the caliper. Seat and seat post. Pedal and crank lever. I'd like to see the whole bike pic too. I am at a disadvantage here, because I don't know if these three shots are part of a larger set, so again, I might be way off here with dissecting it down like this.

As it goes with lighting the bike, though, I think you did a bang up job here.

Fun fact: The Shimano Ultegra component series name is from two words; Ultimate and Integration. DuraRace is from Durable Racing. Oh, they have so many of those naming conventions in their line!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2012
    The images are part of a group focusing on the Trek madone as a bike as a whole. I thank you much for your help and comments my target audience is exactly you the bike dealer for catalogs and such. I will be taking some more shots with your critiques in mind thank you much.
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,930 moderator
    edited May 28, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Fun fact: The Shimano Ultegra component series name is from two words; Ultimate and Integration. DuraRace is from Durable Racing. Oh, they have so many of those naming conventions in their line!

It's actually Dura-Ace mwink.gif Dura-race is some kind of raceway to install wire in :D

I like the product shots and as David points out, the cables kind of spoil the head tube shot.

I would be interested in seeing some drive line shots as well.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited May 28, 2012
    Umm, typo. Yes. That was it. As HAL once said "My mind is going. I can feel it."
    My Smugmug
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,885 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    I am liking the basic feel of the photos, and the processing looks perfect. Sounds like an interesting course. Just so you know where I'm coming from, I was involved with the bicycle industry, from the dealer point of view, for 33 years. So I'll offer some thoughts, and please take these as truly knit picking, as I've literally pored through thousands upon thousands of bicycle product shots in dealer and consumer catalogs.

#1, the head badge shot. While the focus point is on the badge (really - logo) and is spot on, The cables kinda mess with my mind there. I'd almost rather see a naked frame shot of just the head tube and then the rest of the frame becoming soft-bokeh fading into the background.

#2, front quarter. If this is a fork shot, I'd also want to see the drop-outs in there. If it is a brake shot, a front on shot of the calipers might make more of an impression, as it would dominate the pic (seen closer). As it is, I don't know what the subject component is. If it is a mood shot, it begins to work. The rim and tire might need to also be in focus here too. What I like best about it is the composition - that is very well thought out, and shows off the domination of the brand name on the bike quite well.

#3, the brake lever/head area shot. Again, very well exposed and good comp. However, I am lost in what the subject is. If it is the lever, then I want to see more of the hood (though the Ultegra series name would be lost). Perhaps a side shot or straight on?

For me, a (bicycle) product shot is in simplifying it all down to THE part or parts that are connected in purpose, and not sections of a bike (unless its a kids bike). An example of that might be a shift lever and one derailleur, or a brake lever and the caliper. Seat and seat post. Pedal and crank lever. I'd like to see the whole bike pic too. I am at a disadvantage here, because I don't know if these three shots are part of a larger set, so again, I might be way off here with dissecting it down like this.

As it goes with lighting the bike, though, I think you did a bang up job here.

These are great shots. and this is one of the most constructive comments I've seen on dgrin clap.gifclapclap.gif
    edited May 28, 2012
    Thanks I will be shooting some more in two weeks next time I am in the studio, I was going to get shots of the bottom bracket for its size compaired to the competition but due to this being my bike I actually use even after a light scrubbing it still showes use. Believe it or not but this bike and tires has over 6k in miles on them tires are about to get replaced.
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
    edited May 29, 2012
    More photos to add I picked up a 3 piece studio strobe set this weekend and decided to play with it. The images are taken with my 7d and a nifty fifty for focal distance they are not from a Large format but still i think came out ok for detail. A little more focus on specifics and keeping cables from being distracting.

Lighting-final-5-XL.jpg

Lighting-Final-6-XL.jpg

Lighting-final-7-XL.jpg

Ryan
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2012
    Nice work!!! I love how you controlled the reflections.
    edited May 31, 2012
    Love that seat cluster frame shot!
    My Smugmug