Options

New Location For Me - Senior Girl (C and C)

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited June 8, 2012 in People
Went to a new location to take senior portraits this morning. WOW, in order to shoot there I had to put them on my liability rider, but it was certainly worth it. Had a fair amount of trial and error on my first visit, but I'm going to go back and spend an entire day just walking the property. From what I saw during my first visit the possibilities will be endless.

If you like to critique portraiture I welcome you to visit the entire set and give me your thoughts.

Here is the smugmug link

http://brycewilson.smugmug.com/Portraits/Seniors/Hattie/23386566_rBDhFz

Here is one of 39 images from this morning:

dgrinaHattie-32-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2012
    Overall, a very nice set, Bryce!

A few things:

- #37 has a weird horizontal stripe - not sure what it is
    - despite the fact it's not *photographically* the best of them, my favorite is 32 - by far her most spontaneous-looking expression!
    - In general, I think they look a little "posed". I know that part of that is the "Hollywood portrait" style you favor which is simply a matter of taste, but I do find that the shots just light up when there's just a little more energy from the subject, such as in the shot referenced above.
    - your lighting on 20/21/222 made me gasp. HOW??? I just love it, and am so impressed at how you controlled it outside and inside the arches!
    - absolutely love the location, light and comp on 11/12. She looks really engaged in those, as well.

Your work just keeps getting better and better!

PS Haven't you used that red bridge before, or am I completely losing it?! headscratch.gif
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2012
    Some day I'll be as good as you, and then can make a meaningful comment like "high five"... or something. Love #28. I dig the classy poses.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Overall, a very nice set, Bryce!

A few things:

- #37 has a weird horizontal stripe - not sure what it is
    - despite the fact it's not *photographically* the best of them, my favorite is 32 - by far her most spontaneous-looking expression!
    - In general, I think they look a little "posed". I know that part of that is the "Hollywood portrait" style you favor which is simply a matter of taste, but I do find that the shots just light up when there's just a little more energy from the subject, such as in the shot referenced above.
    - your lighting on 20/21/222 made me gasp. HOW??? I just love it, and am so impressed at how you controlled it outside and inside the arches!
    - absolutely love the location, light and comp on 11/12. She looks really engaged in those, as well.

Your work just keeps getting better and better!

PS Haven't you used that red bridge before, or am I completely losing it?! headscratch.gif

Thanks Diva! I appreciate the time you always take to give my stuff a look and to reply.

Me thinks horizontal stripe is a barely discernible watermark. For some reason it doesn't show up that much on that image.

This gal was a bit of a challenge to get the "spontaneous look" from. She had a pretty good idea in her head on how she wanted to look. Every time I would do or say something that would get a reaction that was outside of her preconceived notion, she would close her eyes and look away. Did catch her a couple of times though.

20 and 21 were easy. Set the shutter speed one stop below the ambient coming through the rear doorway and let the speedlight and f stop light the subject. 22 took me three tries. Light stand inside the doorway hidden behind the wall on the left with a shoot through brelly above the subject pointing down.

I do try to get a bit better every time I go out on one of these. You and many others here have been instrumental in any small improvements I may have made. As Tosh would say, "For this we thank you!:D

Although the park I have been using for shoots has a bridge and I do make use of it, it's not red like this one.

Thanks again!
    RyanS wrote: »
    Some day I'll be as good as you, and then can make a meaningful comment like "high five"... or something. Love #28. I dig the classy poses.

Thanks Ryan!

Won't take you long to be better than me, if you keep hanging around here and take notes from all the people that have helped me along the way. Although I've been shooting a long time, the transition to digital and shooting outside of a pre-set studio environment has been quite the challenge for me!

YOU CAN DOOOO IT!
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    Great series clap.gif

I like how you did several different poses.
    Some of them worked better than others.
    #8 Love the pose but wish the bush was not in front of her arm.
    #15 she looks like she is falling over.
    #26 only nit is leaves on the shirt.
    My favorite from the set 1, 4, 12, 14, 16 & 35.
    What do you offer in your senior photo session?

Take care,
    Chuck Cassidy,
    www.aperturefocus.com
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    What a pretty girl and pretty location. I love the classic air about these and the soft light to the gorgeous eyes! Wonderful! Some of my faves were 12, 21, 33. VERY nicely done! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    Bryce:
    Each one of us will have a different feeling about the pictures taken.
    The whole sequence is very good, you have mastered the principal element of photography: "LIGHT"

Said that, your model or subject was really willing to look great which is another important part of the equation.

If you add all the numbers the other members of the forum had given as the most accepted, almost 50% or more ofl the pictures are in the "I love them" range.

To me: 1-20-27-31-32 made my day.!!!!

Great job, beautiful girl and most of all, I wish I had your trained eyes for composition and balance.

From my heart, GREAT JOB.!!!!!!!

Carlos
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    Wow Bryce. I really like this set. I think you knocked it out the park on this one. The majority of the shots are really good. Great job man. The interesting thing is the one you chose to embed in your post is my least favorite of them all.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2012
    Great series clap.gif

I like how you did several different poses.
    Some of them worked better than others.
    #8 Love the pose but wish the bush was not in front of her arm.
    #15 she looks like she is falling over.
    #26 only nit is leaves on the shirt.
    My favorite from the set 1, 4, 12, 14, 16 & 35.
    What do you offer in your senior photo session?

Take care,
    Chuck Cassidy,
    www.aperturefocus.com
    Thanks a lot Chuck!

My current "offering" is a two hour location shoot or 45min in studio and one hour location, wardrobe changes and a finished 11 x 14 sprayed canvas, two 8 x 10's four 5X7's and eight 4X5's of any two poses. I offer additional poses and products at the time of proofing.
    Elaine wrote: »
    What a pretty girl and pretty location. I love the classic air about these and the soft light to the gorgeous eyes! Wonderful! Some of my faves were 12, 21, 33. VERY nicely done! clap.gif

Gee, thanks Elaine. I appreciate the comment about the "Classic Air" and the fact that you enjoy it. I sometimes think, because of some of the comments I get, that my style isn't "cutting edge" enough for the senior market. The people actually paying for the session (parents) like them, but I think I should get a bit more creative to really please the teenage subjects.
    Yaflyyadie wrote: »
    Bryce:
    Each one of us will have a different feeling about the pictures taken.
    The whole sequence is very good, you have mastered the principal element of photography: "LIGHT"

Said that, your model or subject was really willing to look great which is another important part of the equation.

If you add all the numbers the other members of the forum had given as the most accepted, almost 50% or more ofl the pictures are in the "I love them" range.

To me: 1-20-27-31-32 made my day.!!!!

Great job, beautiful girl and most of all, I wish I had your trained eyes for composition and balance.

From my heart, GREAT JOB.!!!!!!!

Carlos

Mucho Gracias, Carlos!

Your comments made me feel warm and fuzzy all over! I find it interesting and rewarding that different people have different favorites and many times they differ from mine.

and a FYI because of your comment in a prior thread...

I did this entire shoot with the used Nikon 35-70mm 2.8 that I picked up. First senior shoot that I've done without a lens change. I have found that it is really prone to lens flair when shooting into light. Time to get the proper hood for it.
    Wow Bryce. I really like this set. I think you knocked it out the park on this one. The majority of the shots are really good. Great job man. The interesting thing is the one you chose to embed in your post is my least favorite of them all.

Thanks Alex, that means a lot to me and my confidence.

Old sales technique...

Never lead with your best. It sets the level of expectations too high and you have nowhere to go but down from there!:D
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    "I did this entire shoot with the used Nikon 35-70mm 2.8 that I picked up. First senior shoot that I've done without a lens change. I have found that it is really prone to lens flair when shooting into light. Time to get the proper hood for it."
    Sorry, my fault, I should have advised you.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But, look at the final results. thumb.gif
    Carlos.
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    Nice work!

Fellow Michigander,
    Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2012
    Nice work!

Fellow Michigander,
    Phil

Thanks Phil!

I know Midland well. Spent a lot of time in Auburn in my youth.