Options

D-Day, Omaha Beach: And Why Film and Eye Best Digital And Photoshop

gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
edited June 22, 2012 in People
We just had the Anniversary of D-Day: All Honor, Praise and Peace to these common heroes.

ROBERT CAPA'S PHOTOS (only 11 survived, many others were mistakenly destroyed in the Dark Room in London where he delivered the rolls of film after the battle of D-day. Capra was killed in Vietnam War doing his brilliant job as a war photo-journalist.)

hb_19871100501.jpg

capa_robert_2991_1992-940w.jpg

1944RobertCapa-AmericansoldierslandingonOmahaBeach2CD-Day2CNormandy2CFranceJune62C1944Gelatinsilverprint3.jpg

dday.jpg
(click Full-Size)

And in terms of photography, digital could never do this, because there is no image anywhere, it is merely data, and data collected and projected onto a reception device: Iphoto, screen of a laptop, a printer. The image is created by the receiver, no image is transferred. All data when collected into a pattern moves towards some numerical average, so these photos would lack soul, they would be "perfect" or made near perfect after on photoshop. Or the data would be impossible do be interpreted as an image of what it is, it would be a nonsense shot and deleted. But B&W film photography (especially B&W,) on a basic camera makes the photographer work from the image, with light, shadow, and image "stamped" on a negative, it exists. The photographer is linked thru his eyes by light, contrast, form which his intuition and a few controls or shifts in camera position register. And so some of the most evocative pictures of a seminal war event are wrong - in terms of what's usually scene in digital photography. But they are true, because they are based in simplicity - of instrument, the camera, and directness: the eye to the image to the actual print of that union on the negative.

Comments

• Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    Wonderful pics. And I think I understand your philosophy. But I beg to differ a tiny bit. Even in the olden' days of film, the image was captured on individual grains of light sensitive material, embedded in the emulsion of the film. Lower ASA had more grains per square inch, versus fewer larger grains for higher ASA. IMHO, not much different from the electronic pixels captured by today's digital equipment. There may indeed be a inherent quality & feel of older methods, but that's also taking into account the printing processes. I dare say that 50 years from, the digital stuff we take today is going to be looked at as either archaic or artistic, too. :D
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2012
    The pics make you weep - especially after reading a book like "D-DAY" by Stephen Ambrose, first hand accounts that make you realize the first wave on Omaha Beach was absolutely slaughtered, 90% casualties in the first yard or two of beach of the LST landing ramp; after the first day Omaha was known for awhile as "Intestine Beach" because of the remnants of most of that wave all over the beach. Still, a few made it thru the beach to the heights just beyond, and the day ended in victory. 3000 casualties just on Omaha, and most in the first wave - 15000 lost first day in invasion all beaches.

You may be right about digital in the future, what bothers me is what seems incessant preoccupation with photoshop, and camera doohickeys, as if this was photography. Most don't realize, for example, that the fastest way to take a series of pictures is not with anything digital or electronic. It's simply by using Depth of Field, which cameras today don't even show. They used to. Set speed at 1/60 (think it's that) and apperture at f8 and everything after 30' to infinity is within depth of field (in focus), click away, photos as fast as your finger moves. Change speed and aperture and everything from 10' - 30' in proper D of F and in focus, shoot away, and so on etc.
    aj986s wrote: »
    Wonderful pics. And I think I understand your philosophy. But I beg to differ a tiny bit. Even in the olden' days of film, the image was captured on individual grains of light sensitive material, embedded in the emulsion of the film. Lower ASA had more grains per square inch, versus fewer larger grains for higher ASA. IMHO, not much different from the electronic pixels captured by today's digital equipment. There may indeed be a inherent quality & feel of older methods, but that's also taking into account the printing processes. I dare say that 50 years from, the digital stuff we take today is going to be looked at as either archaic or artistic, too. :D
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    gvf wrote: »
    The pics make you weep - especially after reading a book like "D-DAY" by Stephen Ambrose, first hand accounts that make you realize the first wave on Omaha Beach was absolutely slaughtered, 90% casualties in the first yard or two of beach of the LST landing ramp; after the first day Omaha was known for awhile as "Intestine Beach" because of the remnants of most of that wave all over the beach. Still, a few made it thru the beach to the heights just beyond, and the day ended in victory. 3000 casualties just on Omaha, and most in the first wave - 15000 lost first day in invasion all beaches.

You may be right about digital in the future, what bothers me is what seems incessant preoccupation with photoshop, and camera doohickeys, as if this was photography. Most don't realize, for example, that the fastest way to take a series of pictures is not with anything digital or electronic. It's simply by using Depth of Field, which cameras today don't even show. They used to. Set speed at 1/60 (think it's that) and apperture at f8 and everything after 30' to infinity is within depth of field (in focus), click away, photos as fast as your finger moves. Change speed and aperture and everything from 10' - 30' in proper D of F and in focus, shoot away, and so on etc.

On the main topic, the pictures are very powerful. I've watched 100s of WW2 documentaries and it still is hard, if not impossible, to wrap your mind around.

On the film topic; depth of field is optical and has nothing to do with the film. It only has to do with the optics of the light and relation to the size of the plane it is captured on.

With all settings, lenses, and image plane sizes being equal a 35mm film planes DOF = 35mm digital sensors DOF
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012

Photography today is no different from the days of film. Film photographers used doohickeys to get the results they wanted, like filters and masks. They would use tricks in the darkroom to get the desired effect for their prints as well. I take it you haven't seen a dSLR camera, as they are exactly like a film SLR camera, only digital, with a few features that they could never put in film camera. Most lenses from the film cameras can be used on the dSLR's as well. And as far as Photoshop/Lightroom goes, think of that as a modern day darkroom. Only difference is in Photoshop you are working on the photos digitally, where in the film days it was done with chemicals, and for touchups they used dyes. The advantage of digital, you can see your photo immeadiately, and nif it doesn't suite you, you can delete it and shoot it over. Something that can not be done with film cameras.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2012
    On the main topic, the pictures are very powerful. I've watched 100s of WW2 documentaries and it still is hard, if not impossible, to wrap your mind around.

On the film topic; depth of field is optical and has nothing to do with the film. It only has to do with the optics of the light and relation to the size of the plane it is captured on.

With all settings, lenses, and image plane sizes being equal a 35mm film planes DOF = 35mm digital sensors DOF

Right, depth of field has to do with camera, (and with your eye which also sees via depth of field), specifically the spherical lens and light falling on it similar to the sphere of the eye and light falling in it. My point was that while film photographers used it constantly - as an example: the ability to take fastest series of photos that are possible - now cameras have no rings that show anything and photographers have become ignorant about it, (D of F). Seems to me digital takes away depth of field anyway, everything always looks equally focused and on top of the viewer.

I got (until I screwed it up) much better shots from a '50s Ercona (film) with a Zeiss lens having no ability to focus the taking lens, no ability to take light readings, or automatically set aperture and shutter speed than I do from any digital camera. Yet simplicity itself to use the former and the most effective to render images as the eye and mind see them - and also in the simplest way.
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    The lack of an aperture ring on your lens and the ability to readily adjust aperture are not mutually exclusive. I can change the aperture using my 6 year old Nikon D80 just as quickly (or quicker) than if the adjustment were on the lens. Further, to say that modern photographers ignore aperture because aperture rings are less available is akin to saying boaters no longer take advantage of a rudder. Sure, some boaters comfortably meander to and fro with a stick in their hand but others win the America's Cup with a steering wheel. Should we believe that winning the America's Cup is any less impressive because it's equipped with modern sailing technology?

Technology is great. It can provide access to activities in which the average person would otherwise find themselves unable to participate. Would you use a flash if you had to carry magnesium and potassium powder around? I wouldn't. However, most people who use a camera aren't interested in photography; they're interested in capturing memories. They suck at it and have no interest in learning. How does a missing aperture ring hurt these people? Frankly, the more automatic cameras become the less crappy family photos I have to look at. But that doesn't mean that photographers seeking quality are hopelessly without control of their instruments.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2012
    If abstract the dark room would be the creative place - but if based in some relationship to what the eye sees "objectively", then the eye and camera and light, shadow, depth of field (of the scene or person who is the subject) would be the initial and crucial first part of the process. The dark room would enhance, particularize the image or reinforced a psychological tone. For Capra the taking of the shot was usually all of it, since dark rooms were the newspapers.

I hear next to nothing about working with any of the crucial elements of the initial shot, shadow, light, form, distance, depth of field, contrasts - it's sort of an inconsequential topic, the image; nor do I hear or read any focus on what was seen, it's 90% replaced by focus on the instrument - which is so excessively gadgeted and "automatized" that the photographer is carried further and further away from the eye and light. And then Photoshop, the creation of effects that can mimic coldly only the effect absent from their original photo; so hit "Black and White" and they think they have a B&W photo, knowing nothing about the art of B&W photography, and, most important the brilliant black and white films that digital can't even mimic. Press the button, click the pointer, this is knowledge of photography - in hyper complicated programs that cannot be known in total for years - like the Master, Photoshop.

Capra shot with a simple 35mm Leica of the day while trying not to get killed like everybody else already dead - by the time his film was in the darkroom he might be avoiding another death in another battlefield, his Leica clicking there too. And he plus his little simple camera and film produced some of the greatest images of war in the century. Like Matthew Brady his predecessor in the Civil War - whose war photographs are brilliant with a plate camera.

My predilection - and it is but this - is attraction to film and print from film, both as a taker and viewer. Digital to me produces robotic images, appearing as a computer product, while the former can look like the soul of what I see, and my view also is that digital robs the imagination of photographers, it's a "soul-snatcher". My view, and I know a very contrary one.

Capra's photos and the event they haunt us with - nothing more need be said about either - for we all react together on these.
    BroPhoto wrote: »
    Photography today is no different from the days of film. Film photographers used doohickeys to get the results they wanted, like filters and masks. They would use tricks in the darkroom to get the desired effect for their prints as well. I take it you haven't seen a dSLR camera, as they are exactly like a film SLR camera, only digital, with a few features that they could never put in film camera. Most lenses from the film cameras can be used on the dSLR's as well. And as far as Photoshop/Lightroom goes, think of that as a modern day darkroom. Only difference is in Photoshop you are working on the photos digitally, where in the film days it was done with chemicals, and for touchups they used dyes. The advantage of digital, you can see your photo immeadiately, and nif it doesn't suite you, you can delete it and shoot it over. Something that can not be done with film cameras.

GaryB
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    I dunno, I've seen some combat photos from the current wars that were pretty moving. I think digital works just fine at capturing the spirit of a shot.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2012
    They know zip about it as discussions show in the absence of it rarely mentioned - and/or questions about what it is and the ignorance is shown in the photos which display no use of it. Technology does not make things easy, it makes things difficult.

GaryB
    thoth wrote: »
    The lack of an aperture ring on your lens and the ability to readily adjust aperture are not mutually exclusive. I can change the aperture using my 6 year old Nikon D80 just as quickly (or quicker) than if the adjustment were on the lens. Further, to say that modern photographers ignore aperture because aperture rings are less available is akin to saying boaters no longer take advantage of a rudder. Sure, some boaters comfortably meander to and fro with a stick in their hand but others win the America's Cup with a steering wheel. Should we believe that winning the America's Cup is any less impressive because it's equipped with modern sailing technology?

Technology is great. It can provide access to activities in which the average person would otherwise find themselves unable to participate. Would you use a flash if you had to carry magnesium and potassium powder around? I wouldn't. However, most people who use a camera aren't interested in photography; they're interested in capturing memories. They suck at it and have no interest in learning. How does a missing aperture ring hurt these people? Frankly, the more automatic cameras become the less crappy family photos I have to look at. But that doesn't mean that photographers seeking quality are hopelessly without control of their instruments.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2012
    From op
    The photos are the main reason for posting of the thread. Far as my views on digital, I kind of put out my "coda" on that in two longish statements, one on the photos, one about 5 or 6th posts down, in a reply to one of them. So, rather than argue with anyone who wants to disagree, which I know is most, I'll just say: I see what I see and my views come from that, not from talk. So, I'll just leave the photos and the event they evoke and my little "coda" about film and simplicity of instrument - all up there and leave them be without me intruding anymore.

Otherwise, the thread will be but another version of the by now old-arguments of digital vs film. And the photos and dead young men forgotten. And I take initial blame for that by including my thoughts on film.
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    FWIW, lets not forget that some elements that make certain photographs art, are based upon the photographer's choice of location and involvement in the scene. The pictures in the first post are clearly emotional and evocative images, but some of the technical aspects aren't necessarily that strong. The fact that the photographer placed himself in such a unique and dangerous situation gave him a unique perspective from which to shoot, very closely mirroring the activities of the soldiers. Those shots are genuine to the situation, and that's why we can take & feel so much from the images.

Don't get me wrong. I realize that the photographer also had a grasp of the technology available to him at that point in time. And he made the best he could with it. I'm sure experience and practice played a lot in learning/knowing what to expect even though he wouldn't see those results until in the darkroom. But I also would believe that for every publishable image captured, there were probably dozens more that didn't garner a 2nd glance. Keep in mind that even cave drawings from our ancestors can be emotional and evocative, despite the limited "technology" available at that time.

The eye for the art, IMHO, goes beyond understanding of fundamentals or the range of gadgetry. Being in the right place at the right time plays a big part.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2012
    I think Capra had a percentage of "goods" but can't swear to it. His are among the most memorable of the shots of WWII of which the numbers of photographers was vast. In the general sense of "the right place" that helped Capra but did not give much more than many others had. His instinctive choice of shot helped, (famous photo in Spanish Civil War of man shot and rifle is flying out of his hand) - and some was in the very absence of technique caused by the emergency moment of his shot, but there is always something else there in the greatest of artists that you can't put your finger on though you can see its effect. Whatever that undefinable quality is - he had it in spades.
    aj986s wrote: »
    FWIW, lets not forget that some elements that make certain photographs art, are based upon the photographer's choice of location and involvement in the scene. The pictures in the first post are clearly emotional and evocative images, but some of the technical aspects aren't necessarily that strong. The fact that the photographer placed himself in such a unique and dangerous situation gave him a unique perspective from which to shoot, very closely mirroring the activities of the soldiers. Those shots are genuine to the situation, and that's why we can take & feel so much from the images.

Don't get me wrong. I realize that the photographer also had a grasp of the technology available to him at that point in time. And he made the best he could with it. I'm sure experience and practice played a lot in learning/knowing what to expect even though he wouldn't see those results until in the darkroom. But I also would believe that for every publishable image captured, there were probably dozens more that didn't garner a 2nd glance. Keep in mind that even cave drawings from our ancestors can be emotional and evocative, despite the limited "technology" available at that time.

The eye for the art, IMHO, goes beyond understanding of fundamentals or the range of gadgetry. Being in the right place at the right time plays a big part.
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2012
    coldclimb wrote: »
    I dunno, I've seen some combat photos from the current wars that were pretty moving. I think digital works just fine at capturing the spirit of a shot.

15524779-Ti.gif The people of the film era learned the basics, the same as those of the dSLR era as there is nothing different (ISO setting, f-stop, shutter speed). Anything that can be done with a film camera, can be done with a dSLR. They both use the same principals. I shot film back in the 70's untill the mid 90's, but switched to digital because processing started to get too expensive, as it was nothing to shoot 20 to 30 rolls over several days. Name one thing that a film camera can do that a dSLR can't do.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2012
    15524779-Ti.gif The people of the film era learned the basics, the same as those of the dSLR era as there is nothing different (ISO setting, f-stop, shutter speed). Anything that can be done with a film camera, can be done with a dSLR. They both use the same principals. I shot film back in the 70's untill the mid 90's, but switched to digital because processing started to get too expensive, as it was nothing to shoot 20 to 30 rolls over several days. Name one thing that a film camera can do that a dSLR can't do.

GaryB

Posted earlier:

"The photos are the main reason for posting of the thread. Far as my views on digital, I kind of put out my "coda" on that in two longish statements, one on the photos, one about 5 or 6th posts down, in a reply to one of them. So, rather than argue with anyone who wants to disagree, which I know is most, I'll just say: I see what I see and my views come from that, not from talk. So, I'll just leave the photos and the event they evoke and my little "coda" about film and simplicity of instrument - all up there and leave them be without me intruding anymore.

Otherwise, the thread will be but another version of the by now old-arguments of digital vs film. And the photos and dead young men forgotten. (And I take initial blame for that by including my thoughts on film.")

And Now: BACK TO THE PHOTOS:
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2012
    Personally I think that the power of these images has everything to do with the fact that many of the people depicted lost their lives and has absolutely nothing to do with any photographic process whether film or digital. If these pictures had been of kids running up the beach to build sand castles they would have gone straight into the waste bin. Lets not mistake the coincidence of being at the right place at the right time to capture an image of a world turning event with some form of photographic brilliance. I think the principal achievement made by the photographer was remembering to press the shutter button while all hell was breaking lose around him and the courage to have gone along with the troops in the first place, something that was no doubt extraordinarily difficult to do.

Which brings me to my second point...

the soulless nature of the internet, or for that matter even books. I distinctly remember how invigorating it was to unroll those leather scrolls that people had been using for millenniums, the odd fingerprint here and there, the smell of animal skin preserved in a musty cellar, the skill and effort that went into hand inking each word... mwink.gif
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    TontoTonto Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2012
    As someone who has shot mostly film for 35 years and is still coming to terms with digital and especially post shoot processing I would take a little guess that if we asked Capa today if he would rather shoot film or digital he would opt for digital, why ?, because when you are shooting under pressure and want to know if you captured the events that happened before you, digital rocks !!! and film sucks, with digital you can review the shots as soon as you take them and change your technical settings, composition, lens choice etc if what you are getting is not what you hoped to achieve, with film in the bad old days you had to go back to the office and hand your film over to a technician to develop your stuff, let a picture editor decide what was good and bad and crop your work then a printer would print your images and send them out to the world, the minute you got back to the office you lost all control over the final look of your images but with digital I am not only the photographer but also the picture editor, technician and printer as well, for news guys digital is now becoming what we all only dreamed of in the seventies and that is the perfect medium for on the on the spot capture, coupled with the ability to shoot HD video with the same body and lenses and you are in absolute heaven.

On shooting films side if Capa had been shooting digital he might have looked at his cameras screen and gone for a faster shutter speed and we wouldn't have the images we have today, the shots he took convey what was happening brilliantly but technically they are awful.

I still shoot film occasionally but not very often.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2012
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    Personally I think that the power of these images has everything to do with the fact that many of the people depicted lost their lives and has absolutely nothing to do with any photographic process whether film or digital. If these pictures had been of kids running up the beach to build sand castles they would have gone straight into the waste bin. Lets not mistake the coincidence of being at the right place at the right time to capture an image of a world turning event with some form of photographic brilliance. I think the principal achievement made by the photographer was remembering to press the shutter button while all hell was breaking lose around him and the courage to have gone along with the troops in the first place, something that was no doubt extraordinarily difficult to do.

Which brings me to my second point...

the soulless nature of the internet, or for that matter even books. I distinctly remember how invigorating it was to unroll those leather scrolls that people had been using for millenniums, the odd fingerprint here and there, the smell of animal skin preserved in a musty cellar, the skill and effort that went into hand inking each word... mwink.gif

Can't agree, there were tons of photographers in WWII and Capra was regarded as tops. I think the images themselves pull me in at least - and the event, the background of course gives them emotional content, but such was true of many photographers.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2012
    Can't agree, there were tons of photographers in WWII and Capra was regarded as tops. I think the images themselves pull me in at least - and the event, the background of course gives them emotional content, but such was true of many photographers.

Isn't this essentally removing equipment (used) from the equation, since all of the photographers of this era would've been using the same / similar kit?

Then - as now - effectiveness / quality / emotive 'hit' etc of results is primarily down to the user and his/her 'creative eye' / skill?

pp
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2012

If you say Capra was tops I'll take your word for it as I have no reason to dispute it. That does mean however that the images having a crooked horizon, being out of focus, underexposed and grainy was intentional. Personally that's a hard sell for me.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2012
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    If you say Capra was tops I'll take your word for it as I have no reason to dispute it. That does mean however that the images having a crooked horizon, being out of focus, underexposed and grainy was intentional. Personally that's a hard sell for me.

Some may have been, but at the moments some of these shots were taken he most likely was in the water getting shot at - raised the camera and took some shots while ducking. Still, the instinct on when to shoot, what to shoot, made for the sensation - as he had- that the viewer was there. If you see the first 25 min of PRIVATE RYAN, you will see intentional mistakes to create that sense.

The graininess was sometimes due to high speed film, which I've used. It gives an impressionistic effect to capture the essence, rather than each pimple - like a "gesture life model". Some was due to exposure "errors" due to the circumstances - but which also make the heart of some of his photographs But do without "mistakes" - which are called the "hand of God" - and you would be without half or more of the great photographs of the 20th Century.

Especially war photography, "in-action" war photography.

GirlAtRest.jpg

Seems the intent and the effect of these shots you are missing and expecting what those that done like at on outdoor wedding, not Omaha Beach in WWII, (which was in the beginning and for a long time, a slaughter) the photographer in the same wave as the men he's shooting - and on the verge of being killed - as he ultimately was in action in Vietnam.
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    I don't get the folks who claim, that through some mystical trance-like power, old, grainy black-and-white images somehow have more "soul" than modern digital. I don't get it, and probably never will.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    I don't get the folks who claim, that through some mystical trance-like power, old, grainy black-and-white images somehow have more "soul" than modern digital. I don't get it, and probably never will.

Seems like this entire thread has been about "gear" and not the image. The medium with which the image is captured has nothing to do with the lasting effect on the viewer...nor would the majority of individuals who will be affected care about the medium used to capture it...Canon, Nikon, Sony/film, digital, medium format, prime lens, zoom lens, L series. The former are terms for photographers...not those who will bear witness to riveting images created by masters of all eras.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2012

Because we like to romanticize the past and think it's pure. You can't tell me a war photographer during WWII would shoot film if digital were an option.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    Seems like this entire thread has been about "gear" and not the image. The medium with which the image is captured has nothing to do with the lasting effect on the viewer...nor would the majority of individuals who will be affected care about the medium used to capture it...Canon, Nikon, Sony/film, digital, medium format, prime lens, zoom lens, L series. The former are terms for photographers...not those who will bear witness to riveting images created by masters of all eras.

Excellent!
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2012
    jonh68 wrote: »
    Because we like to romanticize the past and think it's pure. You can't tell me a war photographer during WWII would shoot film if digital were an option.

I'm sure he wouldn't invade Omaha Beach with electronic equipment. Doesn't do well in water, mud, sand and a lot of other things people meet daily in war -
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2012
    I'm sure he wouldn't invade Omaha Beach with electronic equipment. Doesn't do well in water, mud, sand and a lot of other things people meet daily in war -

Waterproof camera or casings.
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2012
    The second image is haunting. My dad was there on a gray day he said...
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2012
    Eia wrote: »
    The second image is haunting. My dad was there on a gray day he said...

Yes, that's very famous, an icon of D-Day.

What did your Dad say?