Options

Ghosts or no ghosts ?

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited June 23, 2012 in People
Good Evening Folks,
Way back in 2003, I stayed at a place called the St Michaels Manor Bed & Breakfast, in St Mary's County, MD, with my wife. On the property is an old cemetery that's about 200' or so from the house. Buried in the cemetery is the original owner and builder of the house. At the time, I was using a Sony Mavica (floppy disc media :rofl) and the max resolution was something like 1024 x 768. I started to take a few shots around the graveyard and didn't notice anything unusual until I looked at those pictures a few days later. The 2 shots attached were taken approximately 1 min apart. If you look at the first image, you'll see there is nothing in the corner where the gate is, except an empty circle. The 2nd shot shows what appears to be 2 people inside the cemetery standing in the corner under the arrows. The pictures were not photoshopped. I found these earlier tonight while looking for another picture that's related to my Night Shift image. Judge for yourself, but nothing was standing there when those pictures were taken. My wife was next to me the entire time. Thanks for looking :thumb
Have a good night :D
Jim...

Comments

• Options
    edited June 18, 2012
    Ghosts or no ghosts ?
    #2...
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    I love this subject, I watch all the junk tv shows. I am interested in the comments from this !
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    Hard to really say anything the two shots are at different angles, you cannot see the spot that looks like people in the first shot.
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    Science has discovered that our brains are hardwired for pattern recognition of anthropomorphic shapes.......It's adaptive.
    I vote no ghost - just human shapes.
    What's a "floppy disk" ? rolleyes1.gif 1.44 MB ...ha ha ha haha !
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    Well, that creeped me right the heck out!
  • Options
    johnlogukjohnloguk Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    Interesting exercise in how people see what they want to see. The two shots are from slightly different angles, so the area where the "ghosts" are in the 2nd pic isn't actually in the top pic anyway to compare with. So they could have been people just hanging around in the trees unseen by you at the time. When I'm out taking photos I often find things in the shot that I didn't see at the time, it's how our minds work when we're literally focused on something else. One thing for certain, there aren't such things as ghosts anyway, so whatever the shapes are they aren't ghosts rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    If they are ghosts you can say; welcome, is it there something I can do for you?.
    If they are human living forms, BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting topic.
    Yafly.beer.gif
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2012
    Ghosts or no ghosts ?
    Good Afternoon Folks,
    Thanks for all the comments thumb.gif First of all, you can clearly see there is nothing standing in the 1st pic. The 2nd shot was taken to the right of the 1st shot, outside the fence. If you look close, you can see whatever is there is inside the fence. I have attached a drawing that shows how the pics were taken. Again, thanks for looking thumb.gif
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    Soon to be a coming " Attraction".
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2012
    Ghosts or no ghosts ?
    johnloguk wrote: »
    Interesting exercise in how people see what they want to see. The two shots are from slightly different angles, so the area where the "ghosts" are in the 2nd pic isn't actually in the top pic anyway to compare with. So they could have been people just hanging around in the trees unseen by you at the time. When I'm out taking photos I often find things in the shot that I didn't see at the time, it's how our minds work when we're literally focused on something else. One thing for certain, there aren't such things as ghosts anyway, so whatever the shapes are they aren't ghosts rolleyes1.gif
    Good Evening John,
    Thanks for your comments thumb.gif If you look carefully at the drawing I attached above, you'll see exactly how the shots were taken. When you look at where the 2nd shot was taken from, looking into the corner that has the black circle in it in the 1st shot, you should see something there. Yes, the angle is different, but it shows the same corner. As for not believing in ghosts, I felt the same way for years. It wasn't until I actually saw one in my 123 yr old PA house a few months ago that changed my mind. Until you actually see one, or feel the presence of one, yes, you will be a non believer. Just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean it can't or doesn't exist. Again, thanks for looking thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2012
    Ghosts or no ghosts ?
    Rather then start another thread, I thought I would post this shot taken 3 yrs ago in a cemetery. If you look straight at the center tree, you'll see a bluish-green orb. It's not a reflection, and it was not PSed. Thanks for looking thumb.gif
    Jim...
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2012
    Ghosts or no ghosts ?
    One more shot taken by a friend of mine 2 yrs ago in an old barn in Southern MD. The barn was supposedly used over 150 yrs ago to hang people that tried to escape. If you look at the picture, you'll see a bunch of orbs as well as what looks like faint figures hanging from the rafters. Thanks for looking thumb.gif
    Jim...
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2012
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    One more shot taken by a friend of mine 2 yrs ago in an old barn in Southern MD. The barn was supposedly used over 150 yrs ago to hang people that tried to escape. If you look at the picture, you'll see a bunch of orbs as well as what looks like faint figures hanging from the rafters. Thanks for looking thumb.gif
    Jim...
    By the way, I do have full size pics of both images if anyone would like to see them...
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    You get some very interesting images Mr. Goetz.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    phatspazphatspaz Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    I find stuff like that fascinating! Thanks for posting..
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2012
    Ghosts or no ghosts ?
    You get some very interesting images Mr. Goetz.
    Good Evening Mr. Galt,
    Please call me Jim. Thanks for your comment thumb.gif Over the years, I've taken a few interesting pictures. I am working on setting up my old Sony camcorder with the original unmodified Night Shot and shoot some infrared video in my house at night. Curiosity has the best of me mwink.gif Thanks again thumb.gif
    Jim...
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2012
    Ghosts or no ghosts ?
    phatspaz wrote: »
    I find stuff like that fascinating! Thanks for posting..
    Good Evening Phatspaz,
    Agree. Stuff like this is interesting, regardless of whether or not there is a good explanation. People will see different things, and in some cases, will see nothing. Thanks for your comments thumb.gif
    Jim...
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,204 moderator
    edited June 19, 2012
    Interesting images, Jim.

I've always wanted to try some wide spectrum shooting, still or video. My cats often see something travel up and down our stairs inside the house (100 years old this year). They focus in at what would be human eye level walking through the room and are completely freaked out when they experience this, complete with those chirpy chattering noises cats make when they are out of their comfort zone. So far we've had four separate cats over the years "see" the same thing and react the same way on many occasions. I have only heard foot steps, but seen nothing. Maybe I'm not curious enough to set up an experiment.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    williaeswilliaes Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    I do alot of fire investigations on buildings and homes. I get those orbs in almost every photo taken from inside a burned out building. Not sure what it is but there is something in the air. I would venture to say that it could be explained... that is the orb lookng things. As for the rest of your shots I have no idea but it is very interesting to look at.
    2 Corinthians 9:15

williamspics.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2012
    Orbs are usually out-of-focus airborne dust particles illuminated from near direct on-camera flash, or from lighting somewhere behind the lens. If you get illuminated orbs without such lighting, then you have something unusual.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2012
    Ghosts or no ghosts ?
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Interesting images, Jim.

I've always wanted to try some wide spectrum shooting, still or video. My cats often see something travel up and down our stairs inside the house (100 years old this year). They focus in at what would be human eye level walking through the room and are completely freaked out when they experience this, complete with those chirpy chattering noises cats make when they are out of their comfort zone. So far we've had four separate cats over the years "see" the same thing and react the same way on many occasions. I have only heard foot steps, but seen nothing. Maybe I'm not curious enough to set up an experiment.
    Good Evening David,
    Thanks for joining the discussion thumb.gif You may be on to something regarding your cats' ability to see something that we can't. I have a Puggle, part Pug and part Beagle. At times, she'll lift her head from the floor in the living room and appear to watch something or someone in the kitchen, turning her head trying to get a better view. She has done this a few times since we have been in the house, and doesn't appear to be afraid of whatever is or isn't there. Usually after a few minutes, she'll put her head back down again. When my son was little, maybe 2 or 3, he would sit on my lap and stare in to the kitchen (different house) and laugh out loud for no reason. It was as if someone was making funny faces. He was never scared and never cried. That was interesting. Thanks for your comments thumb.gif
    Jim...
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2012
    Ghosts or no ghosts ?
    williaes wrote: »
    I do alot of fire investigations on buildings and homes. I get those orbs in almost every photo taken from inside a burned out building. Not sure what it is but there is something in the air. I would venture to say that it could be explained... that is the orb lookng things. As for the rest of your shots I have no idea but it is very interesting to look at.
    Good Evening Williaes,
    Thanks for your comments thumb.gif Like David already explained, most of the so called orbs are dust spots/balls close to the camera lens, and a lot of them are explainable in the Spirits pic I posted earlier. However, the faint images of something in the rafters is a little more complicated to explain. Thanks again thumb.gif
    Jim...
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2012
    Geez Jim you'd never shown me those 2 shots before .. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool tho too :D I find this stuff so interesting, but you know that. Have you ever gone back to that place and photographed the same area of the cemetery again?

I have goosebumps ...
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2012
    If by ghosts you mean twigs, branches and shadows, then YES, I see them.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2012
    Definitely not ghosts. I have watched a few of the ghost hunter shows and it appears manditory that ghosts only come out in the dark. Not sure why ghosts are afraid of the light, but you never see them looking for ghosts during daylight hours. :D

In order to prove ghosts you need fuzzy, blurred distorted blobs and investigators jumping and shouting, "did you see that?" or "did you hear that?" or "something just touched me".

TV wouldn't lie. :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2012
    What Sam says, and they then "go green" with those extra wavelength video cams. Magnetometers also seem to help, as well as digital remote thermometers. All no doubt available on Amazon. You could ask the ghost to roll the flashlight across the floor too. Always good for the shrieks and goose bump factor.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2012
    This is the "people" forum. Do ghosts count as people?
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2012
    Gotham wrote: »
    This is the "people" forum. Do ghosts count as people?

nod.gif Yes, as we don't yet have a spirits and ghosts forum.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    canoesailorcanoesailor Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2012
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    #2...

Looking at the hoodie on the left, it looks like a young couple who were "enjoying each other" on a grave. They have just realised there's a photographer about and stood up.