Options

Which one B&W or color?? CC Please.

williaeswilliaes Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
edited June 25, 2012 in Landscapes
The uploads look soft but the RAW is tack on. Not sure what happened in the process.
2 Corinthians 9:15

williamspics.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    edited June 16, 2012
    williaes wrote: »
    the uploads look soft but the raw is tack on. Not sure what happened in the process.

b&w

williamspics.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2012
    170 views and not one reply?? I was hoping for some pointers with this one. :D:D

williamspics.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    For one, its not a landscape image and Im supprised it hasnt been moved to "Other Cool Shots". Its a wee bit soft, maybe bump up the sharpening and clarity!
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    Bryans12v wrote: »
    For one, its not a landscape image and Im supprised it hasnt been moved to "Other Cool Shots". Its a wee bit soft, maybe bump up the sharpening and clarity!

Agreed, this isn't a landscape.
  • Options
    AdamideasAdamideas Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    Sorry man, I guess some people won't comment unless its in the right category. Somebody might move it if it really offends people lol. I think the contrast in the BW is the reason I'm leaning towards that one. The color image looks soft and somewhat bland by comparison. Perhaps adding a little vignetting to the BW would help... the bright spot on the left kind of takes my eye off the page. I'll believe you that the raw is tack sharp so I won't give you any crap for that haha - jpegs tend to get neutered on the internet anyway (did you try sizing the image to say 640x480, then sharpening, and then uploading?). Maybe increase the recovery slider in raw or lightroom to help pull those highlights down and recover some detail in those beams. For an advanced technique for using luminosity masks see the link below. I'm moderately advanced with photoshop and it took me about 4 or 5 times of watching that video before it clicked (and he covers a few techniques). But now its a main part of my post processing and I love it... wished I had learned it years ago!

This isn't my video and I don't know the poster but I wanted to share it cause it taught me a lot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP4r1o7RWVY

-Adam
  • Options
    AdamideasAdamideas Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    BTW you have some great shots on your website :)
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2012
    Adamideas wrote: »
    Sorry man, I guess some people won't comment unless its in the right category. Somebody might move it if it really offends people lol. I think the contrast in the BW is the reason I'm leaning towards that one. The color image looks soft and somewhat bland by comparison. Perhaps adding a little vignetting to the BW would help... the bright spot on the left kind of takes my eye off the page. I'll believe you that the raw is tack sharp so I won't give you any crap for that haha - jpegs tend to get neutered on the internet anyway (did you try sizing the image to say 640x480, then sharpening, and then uploading?). Maybe increase the recovery slider in raw or lightroom to help pull those highlights down and recover some detail in those beams. For an advanced technique for using luminosity masks see the link below. I'm moderately advanced with photoshop and it took me about 4 or 5 times of watching that video before it clicked (and he covers a few techniques). But now its a main part of my post processing and I love it... wished I had learned it years ago!

This isn't my video and I don't know the poster but I wanted to share it cause it taught me a lot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP4r1o7RWVY

-Adam

Thank you for the information. I will check out that video tonight I hope. I really had no idea what happened to the sharpness of the photo after I processed the thing. I was hoping for a great shot and it appeared to be fairly good on camera and in RAW format but something went bad wrong. The sad part is I didnt notice it that much until I uploaded it here. One of my original files still looks great.

The bright spot on the left is distracting. I didn't see it either until you pointed it out. That was another door off the side. Thanks for showing me that. Thats why I always need another set of eyes. :D

I did all the processing and then sized it for this site. I may need to go back like you said and try to sharpen after sizing.

Thanks again.

williamspics.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2012
    -Adam[/QUOTE]

Thank you again Adam.

If this needs to be moved please do so. I just uploaded where it looked like it would fit. If you had been there to see the rest of the area you would have loaded in landscape as well. Laughing.gif. This is an old town that has about 10 people still living there. The poor little place is about to just blow away.
    But it has some great things to shot.

williamspics.smugmug.com
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    i prefer the color version. the highlights are a bit blown, and that shows up much more on the B&W version. and the color version seems to have more of a feel of grimy decay.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2012
    I also prefer the color version.

Sherry