Options

Say Hello to Account Settings!

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited July 11, 2012 in SmugMug Support

Comments

• Options
    JFreemanJFreeman Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    I had to go into the help to make sure I didn't have to input sales tax info with the new settings. If I remember correctly the old sales tax tool didn't even have an option for California because smugmug handles and submits sales tax themselves for all sales in CA and WA. I got a little "wait-what?" feeling when I was checking through the new page and checked the sales tax section and California was listed as an option. The help page does still say that CA and WA pros don't have to use the tool.
  • Options
    fralofralo Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 28, 2012
    I lost my "Control Panel" option!
    Hi all,

I have been doing some changes to my website. Somehow in the process I no longer see the option 'Control Panel' under the Tools Menu in the main page. Do any of you know how this might have happened and what I can do to restore it?

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    Smug EricSmug Eric Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 333
    edited June 28, 2012
  • Options
    fralofralo Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 28, 2012
    Thanks a lot for that. I thought that I had done something wrong. I navigated through the help page provided but can't find my homepage.

Under the old method there was a Homepage menu which contained all my galleries and unlisted galleries. I don't know where to find these under the new method.

I appreciate your help.
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,196 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2012
    I really, really, really, really do NOT like the new "Account Settings". It also annoys me completely to already be logged on to my smugmug account and have to log on again to get to my account settings. I see no benefit to the changes at all. YUK! Cannot say in public how much I hate the new look. I would say you blew this one.

Sherry
  • Options
    johnlogukjohnloguk Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2012
    slpollett wrote: »
    I really, really, really, really do NOT like the new "Account Settings". It also annoys me completely to already be logged on to my smugmug account and have to log on again to get to my account settings. I see no benefit to the changes at all. YUK! Cannot say in public how much I hate the new look. I would say you blew this one.

Sherry

Absolutely right! Why on earth do we have to log in again every time we visit the account settings, we didn't before under the old set up? And why when I click on "stats" instead of "account settings" to cut out a step, do I still go to "account settings" anyway?

This change wasn't asked for or needed. There are plenty of changes that have been requested for years, please concentrate on those, not cosmetic changes that might look nice (debatable anyway) but make things more cumbersome and time consuming.
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2012
    >>>Why on earth do we have to log in again every time we
    >>> visit the account settings, we didn't before under the old set up?

I also find it a bit annoying, but I've always had to log in a second time, at least for some settings. I didn't think that was new.

I just went through the new settings. Very clear.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2012
    johnloguk wrote: »
    Absolutely right! Why on earth do we have to log in again every time we visit the account settings,

It's security-related.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2012
    slpollett wrote: »

Sherry

I agree 1000% ... ... this sux
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2012
    It looks nice, and seems like an overall improvment. Thanks to those who worked hard on it.

Wishes for communication end at Smugmug: You'd sent an e mail notifying us of this rather huge change before just doing it and having us all searching for info that we'd always accesses another way. Not good customer service to roll out changes this way.

Wishes for those writing the changes:
    Please, don't make us log in again each and every time we want to look at something!

What a pain!!
    It only used to require a login confirmation again if we were changing customization or a profile, not just to check stats. Improvements should make information quicker and easier to access, not more difficult.

Also, telling us there are unsaved changes (when there are none), before allowing navigation to another part of the account settings, seems to indicate that this was released without being appropriately tested first.

Thanks for continuing to work on this to make it accurate, accessible and easy to use in the future.
  • Options
    ravenly98ravenly98 Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2012
    Where can I locate the "Homepage" that used to exist under the Control Panel that gave me access to all of my galleries?????!!!!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2012
    ravenly98 wrote: »
    Where can I locate the "Homepage" that used to exist under the Control Panel that gave me access to all of my galleries?????!!!!
    If true it's a bummer, you'd be exposing your gallery/category box to the whole world by enabling
    it under the homepage layout button.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2012
    Allen wrote: »
    If true it's a bummer, you'd be exposing your gallery/category box to the whole world by enabling
    it under the homepage layout button.

I think you misunderstood... I'm not sure how to refer to the former location, since it does not exist with the changes, but the main landing page under the control panel allowed the smug owner access to ALL galleries, published and unpublished. Now I cannot figure out how to access my unpublished albums.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2012
    I think you misunderstood... I'm not sure how to refer to the former location, since it does not exist with the changes, but the main landing page under the control panel allowed the smug owner access to ALL galleries, published and unpublished. Now I cannot figure out how to access my unpublished albums.
    If you have not activated your gallery/category box by enabling it under the homepage layout button
    there was no way to see "ALL galleries, published and unpublished" unless you went to the homepage
    tab in your control panel. Many use this method so the box is not exposed to the public. If enabled, CSS
    can hide the box but can be easiely overridden with web tools.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2012
    ...unless you went to the homepage
    tab in your control panel.

That's what I'm referring to, the homepage under the control panel, that allowed only the owner to view every gallery that exists in the account. Since the new changes, that doesn't exist anymore for me and now I can locate my unpublished galleries. With the new "Account Settings" replacing the Control Panel, the thumbnails collection of all of my galleries is not accessible any longer. Is there a new place that we can see all of our galleries on one page? Otherwise, how do we access the unpublished ones, for example?
  • Options
    jrogersjrogers Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2012
    I have 2 issues with the new settings...both are minor, but a little irritating nonetheless:

1. As others have said before, having to sign in again.
    Andy wrote: »
    It's security-related.

It seemed to work fine before without an additional sign in.

2. When you get into the Control Panel...I mean Account Settings, it doesn't default to the previous location...Stats or whatever. Instead it always takes me to "Me" which I would never otherwise go to.

Aside from that, things are fine with the changes.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2012
    That's what I'm referring to, the homepage under the control panel, that allowed only the owner to view every gallery that exists in the account. Since the new changes, that doesn't exist anymore for me and now I can locate my unpublished galleries. With the new "Account Settings" replacing the Control Panel, the thumbnails collection of all of my galleries is not accessible any longer. Is there a new place that we can see all of our galleries on one page? Otherwise, how do we access the unpublished ones, for example?
    I know of no way and enabling the cat/gal box even though CSS hidden is a tremendous privacy risk to
    those that don't want their entire site exposed.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited July 1, 2012
    I think this can be used as a workaround.

Add the galleries hack from the sections title "The Galleries" in this tutorial - http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2160039. That will add a galleries page. Do not add a link to your navbar if you don't want it exposed to your viewers.

Add this to your CSS:
    .notLoggedIn .galleries { display: none; }

to see that page, enter <your site url>.galleries.

Keep in mind that if a viewer decides to use a tool to remove your CSS they will be able to see this page. The page will show all galleries to you. If a viewer breaks in, they will only see your public galleries.

--- Denise
  • Options
    dspdsp Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2012
    Yup, logging in again is annoying, I'm already logged in, there is no reason to have to do it again when clicking a tab. This isn't an improvement. Like they say, the enemy of something good is something better...
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2012

Under Style, you have access to all your categories there.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    Under Style, you have access to all your categories there.
    I don't see them, can you be a little more specific?
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2012

If you are logged in and you go to your main smugmug page, you should see all of your galleries including non public ones. If you turned off the galleries/categories setting instead of using some html code to hide them you might need to turn them back on to see them. But it looks like you may have used some html to hide them because I was able to go here and see your public galleries: http://eclecticallyforyou.smugmug.com/galleries

If you had turned off the "gallery categories" visibility that page would have been blank. Of course you may have already tried what Denise suggested.

The code to have galleries show up on your homepage when you are logged in and visitors won't see them is found here: http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2160039

It looks like they've moved all of the homepage customization stuff from the account settings/control panel section to a button on the actual homepage called "Homepage Layout"
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2012
    Allen wrote: »
    I don't see them, can you be a little more specific?

I think Andy is talking about the option under the style tab that lets you manage what categories you have, their names and such. What ravenly98 was talking about was the ability to manage the homepage in the control panel, which was removed. ravenly98 was specifically looking for the grid of thumbnails that showed all her galleries because she had turned it off on the homepage. All that remains in the control panel/account settings to control the homepage is the bio box(the place you put html code to replace the standard homepage) the rest has been moved to a button on the homepage itself called "homepage layout."
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2012
    Well, I still can't locate all of my galleries and I'm so annoyed with this change because of it. http://eclecticallyforyou.smugmug.com/galleries only shows ME 3 of my public galleries. I cannot get to my "Smugmug DO NOT DELETE" gallery, which contains my banner, logo, watermark, etc images. I also have a gallery that I used for 2011 pricing that is not visible by myself. I use this as a reference. I also have locked down galleries for my client's private viewing that I cannot access now without logging in as them. This is beyond frustrating. I want my Control Panel page that allowed me the ability to see ALL of MY galleries on one page. I don't want to recode my site and hope that no one can by-pass the coding to gain access to something that I should be granted access to through a back door. Why is this no longer possible?
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2012
    Also, with this new issue, when I create a new, non-public gallery that is "under construction" I now cannot gain access into the gallery without saving the url in Notepad and then re. How is that not something that everyone is having an issue with?
  • Options
    rnrjoshrnrjosh Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2012
    If you have hidden the galleries from appearing on your homepage, you can access them through the new Account Settings area under Account Settings > Style > Categories. There is a "go to" dropdown here that will allow you to access any category on your site. You'll be able to access the galleries from the category page. Your "My Site Files" gallery is under the Other category. Hope this helps!
    Josh
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2012
    That helps some, thank you. However, it is still incredibly annoying that I now have to locate via each category.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2012
    rnrjosh wrote: »
    If you have hidden the galleries from appearing on your homepage, you can access them through the new Account Settings area under Account Settings > Style > Categories. There is a "go to" dropdown here that will allow you to access any category on your site. You'll be able to access the galleries from the category page. Your "My Site Files" gallery is under the Other category. Hope this helps!
    There is no "go to" dropdown on my category page. Only add, delete and rename.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited July 1, 2012
    rnrjosh wrote: »
    If you have hidden the galleries from appearing on your homepage, you can access them through the new Account Settings area under Account Settings > Style > Categories. There is a "go to" dropdown here that will allow you to access any category on your site.
    I don't see a "go to" dropdown on the categories page of my site. Can you post a screen shot? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

I can still access all of my galleries via the 2nd homepage hack, but they do not appear to be accessible from a smug page.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2012
    Have you tried clicking on the upload button from your homepage or any gallery page when logged in? It should give you a dropdown list of all your galleries (hidden and public). Click on the one you want to view and on the next page, instead of uploading a file, click on the gallery title near the top of the page. It's not a true fix but it should work quickly.