Options

Modern Art.....Compliments of Yellowstone

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited July 10, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
Hydra-thermal features are in evidence ALL OVER the Yellowstone Park. Certain areas, however, have a greater concentration of them than other areas and these areas are referred to as geyser basins. When exploring these basins, I got the distinct feeling that I had been swooped up into the " Twilight Zone " or somehow otherwise transported back to some primordial time. Some of the things you see in these basins are truly bizarre.

Yellowstone-1-039-X2.jpg

Yellowstone-1-047-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    Whoa ... those colors (is that green natural or PP). Wonder what minerals are making those?
    Rags
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    It gets pretty stinky by that doesn't it? Cool stuff .. would be interesting to know the total chemical make up of it.
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    Whoa ... those colors (is that green natural or PP). Wonder what minerals are making those?

Hey Rags,

The colors you see are very accurate and true to the real colors. In fact, I've never seen more vibrant colors in nature....blues, greens, yellows, reds; all of an intensity and visual impact that is stunning.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2012
    Dogdots wrote: »
    It gets pretty stinky by that doesn't it? Cool stuff .. would be interesting to know the total chemical make up of it.

Hi Mary,

The only odor that you pick up on ( at least in my case ) is the prevailing sulfur smell that permeates these basin areas. As I moved along the scenes shown here, there was no discernible odor I could attribute to this area. As you say...cool stuff.

Tom
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2012
    Nice shots.

Given the title "Modern Art.....", I wonder how it would look if HDR taken, as it doesn't appear to be HDR?

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2012
    Cool shots, Tom. I love the flowing lines and the good use of strong colors to complement your composition. Very nice! I like both. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif

Thanks for sharing, my friend. :D
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2012
    Nice shots.

Given the title "Modern Art.....", I wonder how it would look if HDR taken, as it doesn't appear to be HDR?

Phil

Thanks for the visit, Phil.

I suppose there are a number of means available ( shooting HDR among them...which, incidentally, I don't do ) that could easily embellish these scenes beyond their natural state. I found nature's offering here to be quite dramatic as is, so my concern was to show the viewer what I saw, exactly as I saw it....as best I could.

I called these shots " modern art " as they are very much in the vein of the works done by a local artist ( of some renown ) whose main thrust is painting scenes of a supposed primordial Earth, as well as some imagined celestial bodies. These shots look like something that could just slide off his easel.

Tom
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2012
    jiro wrote: »
    Cool shots, Tom. I love the flowing lines and the good use of strong colors to complement your composition. Very nice! I like both. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif

Thanks for sharing, my friend. :D

I'll take a little credit for the composition....the strong colors are a gift.:D I would love to see what someone with your imagination and skills could do with the opportunities that were presented to me.

Be well,

Tom
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2012
    Yikes, great series. I've got to get back there. Haven't been since, '72!

:D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2012
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Yikes, great series. I've got to get back there. Haven't been since, '72!

:D

Don

Hi Don,

Parts of the Park will look totally different from what you remember....the effects and after-effects of the fires that roared through there years ago. The new growth has come a long way but there are a gazillion trees that got burned, died, fell over and just lie there. In some cases, it is quite a surreal scene. I'll soon post a picture showing what I mean.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited July 7, 2012
    Nice shots, Tom. I especially like the second--the brownish patch in the upper left adds a nice balance to the composition. Well done.
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2012
    Thanks for the visit, Phil.

I suppose there are a number of means available ( shooting HDR among them...which, incidentally, I don't do ) that could easily embellish these scenes beyond their natural state. I found nature's offering here to be quite dramatic as is, so my concern was to show the viewer what I saw, exactly as I saw it....as best I could.

I called these shots " modern art " as they are very much in the vein of the works done by a local artist ( of some renown ) whose main thrust is painting scenes of a supposed primordial Earth, as well as some imagined celestial bodies. These shots look like something that could just slide off his easel.

Tom

Well said!
    Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2012
    torags wrote: »

The colors are actually due to different species in the microbial mats. They usually array themselves by temperature, so the color zonation can be viewed as a proxy for the temperature distribution of the springs.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    Nice shots, Tom. I especially like the second--the brownish patch in the upper left adds a nice balance to the composition. Well done.

It's great to hear from you, Richard. I appreciate the kind words.

Tom
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2012
    kolibri wrote: »
    The colors are actually due to different species in the microbial mats. They usually array themselves by temperature, so the color zonation can be viewed as a proxy for the temperature distribution of the springs.

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge. It's interesting that the microbes involved can withstand the acidity and heat that is present in most cases.

While there, however, I witnessed an equally astounding event. One small spring was bubbling away with water temperatures far exceeding the boiling point. I could plainly see what appeared to be small minnows swimming around. On leaving that basin, I spoke with some park rangers about what I had observed.

There is a large fly that is native to the area. What I had seen was that fly in its larva stage. The rangers could offer no explanation as to how these larvae had evolved so that they could survive the heat and chemical make-up of such an environment.
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2012
    I was slow to see these, Tom, but I think they're terrific.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2012
    Amazing what opportunities mother nature gives us for modern art visuals clap.gif
    Wish I had known you were going to be some close by and I missed you :cry
    Michael
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2012
    Cornflake wrote: »
    I was slow to see these, Tom, but I think they're terrific.

Thanks for stopping by, Don. I appreciate your support.

Tom
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2012
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Amazing what opportunities mother nature gives us for modern art visuals clap.gif
    Wish I had known you were going to be some close by and I missed you :cry

Boy, Michael, darn if it's not great to hear from you.

I see that you're right at 4,000 postings. I know I speak for the group when I say it's been a pleasure to see your works. There's been some really, really good stuff drift our way from your quarters. Congratulations !!!

Take care, buddy,

Tom
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2012
    Amazing sights! Thanks Tom!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2012
    NeilL wrote: »
    Amazing sights! Thanks Tom!

Neil

This is a place, Neil, where you could really shine....what with your imagination and eye for the unusual.

Take care,

Tom