Options

1D Mark iv

SkorriSkorri Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
edited July 17, 2012 in Cameras
After too many hours of research and a few sleepless nights :barb I have decided to purchase the Mark iv. The major retailers say it is back ordered with no good date of when it will return. There are plenty of other "companies" that have the camera body, but quite frankly after reading about gray markets products, I don't feel the need to take that chance. Fair assumption that if B&H, Adorama and a few other don't have them in stock, I should wait until they do ?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited May 2, 2012
    Yes, if you want a new copy your best bet, as always, is to wait until the authorized retailers have one in stock. Be aware that they are in very short supply everywhere, and I'm not sure that the 1D MKIV is still in active production.

A good used copy from a reputable firm is a viable alternative, and KEH.com has a single used copy in EX+ condition. A good used copy also commands a pretty high price as well.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2012
    Ziggy, I was guessing the earthquake/tsunami was the cause of the back order situation. Is there anybody I could contact to verify if it's out of production ?
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2012
    Skorri wrote: »
    Ziggy, I was guessing the earthquake/tsunami was the cause of the back order situation. Is there anybody I could contact to verify if it's out of production ?

Canon normally just quietly drops the model from their offerings on their website when they finally run out of inventory.

You can try to contact Canon USA, but you probably won't get a straight answer. Canon is very tight-lipped about production details.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2012
    The Canon customer service lady was pretty cool. She said the Mark iv will not be discontinued. Once the shipments reach their office in Wisconsin they are then listed on the Canon site. They got some 5D3s in today and they sold out within 90 minutes. Like you said Ziggy, she recommends B&H, Adorama. She also mentioned Newegg and Ryther (which I have never dealt with).
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2012
    Mark iv still on back order with Adorama and B&H telling me it has been discontinued. Adorama said it has not been discontinued and Canon wont/cant tell me. Has anybody else heard ?
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2012
    Bloody hell, it has been Discontinued headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2012
    Bloody hell, it has been Discontinued headscratch.gif

That's sad. :cry I still regard it as one of Canon's best all-a-round professional bodies. (I was hoping for a Canon 1D MK IV-S.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2012
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2012
    I saw that at Ryther as well. Seems like the prices have jumped in the last few weeks. Most sites had a new body right at 5k, now most are $5200 and up.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2012
    KEH.com still has a used, -LN copy for $4460.
    Adorama has a used, E- for $4300
    B&H has a used, 8+ for $4000
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2012
    I saw that at Ryther as well. Seems like the prices have jumped in the last few weeks. Most sites had a new body right at 5k, now most are $5200 and up.

if you're in the stratosphere of cameras why not go for the 1DX
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2012
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    if you're in the stratosphere of cameras why not go for the 1DX

Losing the 1.3x crop and AF 'only' working to f5.6 would be issues for some - not knowing the OP's interests I don't know if they're relevant factors here.

pp
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2012
    I'm not too fussed about the crop. I'm one of these guys that makes whatever I have in my hand work. The money was there for a new Mark iv and I can either wait for more used IVs to come around after the 1DXs settle in or save a few more pennies and get the 1DX. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2012
    I have to say that one of several reasons I am considering selling the kit and moving to Nikon is this perpetual shortage of Canon pro bodies. I spent months last year trying to get a second 1D4 body, and waited 8 months to have the privilege of ordering a 1Dx. (I passed, just because of the delay and the possibility of switching to Nikon.) There is no good reason for production to be this slow, or discontinuations so mysterious. I mean seriously, how's a pro supposed to do his/her job?!

I might have a couple of 1D4 bodies for sale shortly...