Options

DSS Challenge #109 Close Ups or Macros

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited August 14, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Welcome to Round #109 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges.

This challenge is for all dgrin members.

It will run from Monday, August 6, 2012 8:00pm PDT time (GMT -8) on through Monday, August 20, 2012 8:00pm PDT time (GMT -8).

The theme this round for your interpretation will be: Close Ups or Macros

Lets forget about comfort zones and get up close and personal with your subject!
You do not need fancy lenses for this one, but if you have them go ahead and use them! Lets play
with the concept of close ups or macros! Close ups are when you use a standard lens and get really
close to a small item and make it larger. Sometimes even having to crop.

Macros are using extension tubes or macro lenses and really getting up close and personal with the subject to see lots of detail.

Either way its a learning experience. In the past, I have seen photogs be creative with using even a
magnifing glass to get up close.

Light, composition and sharp details are musts here.

If you do not know where to start, how about checking out the Holy Macro forum right here on dgrin! They have lots of tips in their sticky threads and will be glad to answer your questions!

There are no editing restrictions this round!

Your Judge:

1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple,
just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page:

DSS #109 Entry Gallery

Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during
this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge RULES.

Comments

• Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    This should appeal to a wide variety of people! It's one that I always mean to practice, but hardly make time to do. I have been away from here for a while and I'm glad to be back and able to participate again.
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    Cool.... should we be attempting to make the viewer GUESS the object, or is an easily identifiable subject ok?
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited August 9, 2012
    JAG wrote: »
    If you do not know where to start, how about checking out the Holy Macro forum right here on dgrin! They have lots of tips in their sticky threads and will be glad to answer your questions!

Sounds like a fun challenge! I looked at the tips in the Holy Macro forum and look forward to trying them out! Thank you, Joyce, for reminding us of this great resource on dgrin.

Gretchen
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    Someone commented on my upload "nuts and bolts" about a rule on a specific gap between frames. I couldn't find anything in the rules about gaps between frames, is there any guidance on this? How do I upload the exif data on the three pictures?. Help appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    Juano wrote: »
    Someone commented on my upload "nuts and bolts" about a rule on a specific gap between frames. I couldn't find anything in the rules about gaps between frames, is there any guidance on this? How do I upload the exif data on the three pictures?. Help appreciated. Thanks!

Under "PHOTO ENTRIES - A Must Read" here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=162657
    9. Borders/Frames: You may use a simple border of a single color to frame your photo if you feel it will enhance the final image. Natural borders or frames such as windows, doorways, dark vignettes and subjects that float on a solid background will also be permitted. No multi color, decorative or picture frame style borders will be accepted unless waived in a specific round.

I believe the prior rule did state that the border could only be one pixel, but that rule has been relaxed a bit. However, I remember a discussion that the frame should not detract from the photo, so less framing would typically be better than more.

Regarding adding your exif info, the sticky thread (Quick links to all things official), has this link for adding your exif info: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1363209&postcount=609
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2012

could you please give a link to where this is so I can see what you are refering too?

Also to list your exifs you would need to add them under your Username - Title when you enter the image in the gallery. You can find more info at this link on how to shorten your exif info...

How to link to your EXIF info
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2012
    could you please give a link to where this is so I can see what you are refering too?

Also to list your exifs you would need to add them under your Username - Title when you enter the image in the gallery. You can find more info at this link on how to shorten your exif info...

How to link to your EXIF info

Hi thanks for responding. The link for my upload is:

http://challenges.smugmug.com/Other/DSS-109-Close-Ups-or-Macros/24607720_BZS5Ww#!i=2021732780&k=ZJ7Dv9k

I checked on how to upload exif data however the link that is within the link you provided doesn't work.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2012
    lkbart wrote: »
    Under "PHOTO ENTRIES - A Must Read" here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=162657
    9. Borders/Frames: You may use a simple border of a single color to frame your photo if you feel it will enhance the final image. Natural borders or frames such as windows, doorways, dark vignettes and subjects that float on a solid background will also be permitted. No multi color, decorative or picture frame style borders will be accepted unless waived in a specific round.

I believe the prior rule did state that the border could only be one pixel, but that rule has been relaxed a bit. However, I remember a discussion that the frame should not detract from the photo, so less framing would typically be better than more.

Regarding adding your exif info, the sticky thread (Quick links to all things official), has this link for adding your exif info: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1363209&postcount=609

Many thanks
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2012
    Hi thanks for responding. The link for my upload is:

http://challenges.smugmug.com/Other/DSS-109-Close-Ups-or-Macros/24607720_BZS5Ww#!i=2021732780&k=ZJ7Dv9k

I checked on how to upload exif data however the link that is within the link you provided doesn't work.

lkbart did give you the correct rules on that and I agree with her assesment that less is more (or better!).

As for the link not working, all you need to do is open a window to your own personal gallery where you have your images uploaded. Then you can do one of two things;

1 open the exif of each image and copy the exif url and paste it into three codes (found on the previous link I provided) that was placed in the challenge gallery (this method requires two browsers open)

2 or you can have all your images in your own gallery (providing you have a smugmug account) and add the url to that gallery to the code in the challenge gallery.

If all else fails, you can just add the gallery link under your name - title, but we like to keep the links short and clean and the code works best for that.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2012
    Thanks Jag. I had the exif data setting off on my upload settings. I will reload the pics and post the URLs.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2012
    Thanks Jag. I had the exif data setting off on my upload settings. I will reload the pics and post the URLs.

You can log into the challenge gallery and edit you info on your image only. Saves the trouble of having to upload again.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2012
    You can log into the challenge gallery and edit you info on your image only. Saves the trouble of having to upload again.

Done! Many thanks for your help and patience. :D