Options

Anyone Else Seeing Lower Statcounter Numbers?

JamesVernacotolaJamesVernacotola Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited August 23, 2012 in SmugMug Support
Hi all,

I've noticed over the past week that my numbers have been way down from normal. After some investigation I've discovered that it looks like since August 14, Statcounter has only been recording a "hit" when a user enters a particular gallery, but not recording any navigation within the gallery (i.e. which photos were viewed). Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm not much of an expert in web code, but could it be that a change was made on Smugmug's side that causes the "custom footer" to no longer be executed while browsing photos within a gallery?

This isn't a huge deal, but also not one I would overlook without at least inquiring about it. I'm sure I'm getting the same amount of hits as before, the numbers just don't seem as accurate as they used to be. Obviously we all like to see a nice hit count. :)

Anyone else have any info/insight on this?

For reference, my site is www.jamesvernacotola.com.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    My statcounter only shows back thru Aug. 15th but from that point forward no photos are showing viewed, only the gallery
    and cats/sub-cat pages. So something has differently changed.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    Allen wrote: »
    My statcounter only shows back thru Aug. 15th but from that point forward no photos are showing viewed, only the gallery
    and cats/sub-cat pages. So something has differently changed.
    Just another data point. I do see photo pageviews in my StatCounter report from the last few days. My site hasn't been generally active, but there are definitely pageviews of specific photos in my StatCounter report.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    jfriend wrote: »
    Just another data point. I do see photo pageviews in my StatCounter report from the last few days. My site hasn't been generally active, but there are definitely pageviews of specific photos in my StatCounter report.

OK I just checked my StatCounter report after visiting one of my own galleries -I went thru each of the 5 pages and clicked on 4-7 pics each. Nothing was logged other than the main page image - See attached.

When I checked my log the issue first appeared on Aug 15 about 10 p.m. Pacific time, however, on Aug. 14 at approx. 9 p.m. I still showed ind. photo and page views being logged. So somewhere between these two times is when it started on my site.

Note: John I just clicked into your Landscapes gallery and visited each page, clicked on 4-6 pics each also, see if they show in your report..
    PS: Great images!!

-rich56k
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2012
    rich56k wrote: »
    OK I just checked my StatCounter report after visiting one of my own galleries -I went thru each of the 5 pages and clicked on 4-7 pics each. Nothing was logged other than the main page image - See attached.

When I checked my log the issue first appeared on Aug 15 about 10 p.m. Pacific time, however, on Aug. 14 at approx. 9 p.m. I still showed ind. photo and page views being logged. So somewhere between these two times is when it started on my site.

Note: John I just clicked into your Landscapes gallery and visited each page, clicked on 4-6 pics each also, see if they show in your report..
    PS: Great images!!

-rich56k
    I do not see any recent hits in my Landscape gallery. Something must be busted.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2012
    I do not see any recent hits in my Landscape gallery. Something must be busted.

OK I just did an additional journey thru your popular photos gallery all 235 of them and then the 24 images in skateboading (259 images total) from 6:23 - 6:37 p.m. (ish).

You can also go into your StatCounter admin page under 'config' and delete the 'blocking cookie' so it will log your own hits and double check yourself.

I checked the StatCounter blog and it only shows a new feature back in May 2012 regarding mobile devices. Can anyone from Smugmug please chime in with any info on recent changes that may be connected to this situation. Again it seems to have happened on Aug 14/15.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2012
    rich56k wrote: »
    OK I just did an additional journey thru your popular photos gallery all 235 of them and then the 24 images in skateboading (259 images total) from 6:23 - 6:37 p.m. (ish).

You can also go into your StatCounter admin page under 'config' and delete the 'blocking cookie' so it will log your own hits and double check yourself.

I checked the StatCounter blog and it only shows a new feature back in May 2012 regarding mobile devices. Can anyone from Smugmug please chime in with any info on recent changes that may be connected to this situation. Again it seems to have happened on Aug 15/16.
    I don't see any of the hits you talk about in my StatCounter report. I filtered the report down to the last 12 hours and non of the hits you speak of are there.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    RoryStatCounterRoryStatCounter Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 20, 2012
    Hi folks,

Sorry for the troubles! Nothing has changed on our end so far as I'm aware. I think the issue is how the galleries work. Notice if you click a pic it doesn't reload the page. That's the catch. We track when a page is loaded. They're using ajax, flash, or some other witch craft to load the image on the fly w/o reloading the page. Which is great for users, but not so great for any hit counter that tracks pageloads (like, all of them).

I hope this makes sense.

Please do let us know if you ever need anything via our support / help section or forum.

Thanks
    Rory
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2012
    Hi folks,

Sorry for the troubles! Nothing has changed on our end so far as I'm aware. I think the issue is how the galleries work. Notice if you click a pic it doesn't reload the page. That's the catch. We track when a page is loaded. They're using ajax, flash, or some other witch craft to load the image on the fly w/o reloading the page. Which is great for users, but not so great for any hit counter that tracks pageloads (like, all of them).

I hope this makes sense.

Please do let us know if you ever need anything via our support / help section or forum.

Thanks
    Rory
    No, this always used to work. In fact, Smugmug has specific code to make StatCounter fire when they reload an image using Ajax. Apparently something broke recently and their code that makes StatCounter work in this case is no longer working.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2012
    Definately not tracking pic views in statcounter
    Definately not tracking pic views in statcounter anymore since about August 15th... that is confirmed, now what?

anyone try re-installing the statcounter code yet? I was about to.

Anything change in Smugmug around that date to affect this? (as the StatCounter rep believes...)

Smugmug?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2012
    dmc wrote: »
    Definately not tracking pic views in statcounter anymore since about August 15th... that is confirmed, now what?

anyone try re-installing the statcounter code yet? I was about to.

Anything change in Smugmug around that date to affect this? (as the StatCounter rep believes...)

Smugmug?
    I do suspect SmugMug broke something, stay tuned.
  • Options
    Smug EricSmug Eric Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 333
    edited August 20, 2012
    Not so much broke but changed. We did some re-working on old tracking code. For StatCounter try to use the standard, non xHTML version as doctype might be an issue. You may also want to look into Google Analytics. We did some updating to it's code as well so it should track better.
    Eric
    Support Hero and Customeister
    http://www.smugmug.com/help
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2012
    Smug Eric wrote: »
    Not so much broke but changed. We did some re-working on old tracking code. For StatCounter try to use the standard, non xHTML version as doctype might be an issue. You may also want to look into Google Analytics. We did some updating to it's code as well so it should track better.

Eric,

I've just tried both 'standard' and 'standard xhtml' versions both yield the same results as we've all been saying...no image/page results just the initial entry page and that's it.

Any other suggestions (besides google). I've been with both SmugMug as a Pro Account since Aug. 2005 and StatCounter just as long. Hope to continue with both.

Please work this out...

-rich56k
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2012
    Come on Eric - this isn't a reasonable answer.

StatCounter has been working for years and that's what we have accounts with and the reports we know. Some people even have paid accounts with Statcounter. We aren't interesting in switching. Are you telling us that StatCounter is no longer supported? If that's not what you're saying, then you either need to fix it so it works like it always used to or you need to give us very specific advice on how to fix our pages to make StatCounter work again.

Please get a fully formed answer to advise us on how to make StatCounter work again (like it always used to) with our pages.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2012
    Come on Eric - this isn't a reasonable answer.

15524779-Ti.gif

What did SmugMug change, and why? It's almost like SmugMug doesn't even know about how widely used Statcounter is....
  • Options
    Smug EricSmug Eric Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 333
    edited August 20, 2012
    I don't know exactly what was changed. I've asked for more information and will pass on whatever I receive.
    Eric
    Support Hero and Customeister
    http://www.smugmug.com/help
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2012
    Hi everyone

Just got word from Ben and QA that this is bugged and being looked into. Hopefully the fix will be quick, and we will certainly update you once we have that sorted!!

ann
    I don't know exactly what was changed. I've asked for more information and will pass on whatever I receive.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2012
    Word is that this is fixed. Please let us know if you continue to see trouble.

ann
    Ann McRae wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Just got word from Ben and QA that this is bugged and being looked into. Hopefully the fix will be quick, and we will certainly update you once we have that sorted!!

ann
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2012
    I'm seeing this. Link looks really odd.
    21 Aug    11:18:45 AM
    Entry Page:
         www.photosbyat.com/
    Exit Page:
         www.photosbyat.com/Birds/Birding-2012-August?fb_xd_fragment&fb_xd_fragment#xd_sig=f2b75e3cefa27b8&xd_action=proxy_ready&data&xd_rel=parent.parent&relation=parent.parent&xd_origin=https%3A%2F%2Fs-static.ak.facebook.com

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2012
    Ann McRae wrote: »
    Word is that this is fixed. Please let us know if you continue to see trouble.

ann

Thanks for the good news Ann!

I'm back to all individual page and image views being logged (in the attached, the link is longer and yes unique in each case). Looking good from here!!

Al,

That is an odd looking exit link - are your pics linked to facebook? (I'm not)

Been with StatCounter since 2005 and that is new to me.

-rich56k
  • Options
    JamesVernacotolaJamesVernacotola Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2012
    Thanks very much Ann, Eric, Andy, John, Rich, DMC, Rory and Allen! Everything looks back to normal again. clap.gif
  • Options
    KQuinlanKQuinlan Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2012
    I am still having the same problem described, but it is with Google Analytics instead of Statcounter. It stopped tracking individual page hits as of Aug. 14th/15th and is not back up and running yet. I have been using Analytics for 6+months with no problems other than as of Aug 14th. Any idea how to fix it?
    Visit Kevin On - Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2012
    KQuinlan wrote: »
    I am still having the same problem described, but it is with Google Analytics instead of Statcounter. It stopped tracking individual page hits as of Aug. 14th/15th and is not back up and running yet. I have been using Analytics for 6+months with no problems other than as of Aug 14th. Any idea how to fix it?
    Are you using the built-in GA support (where you just past your code into Account Settings) or are did you put your own GA javascript into your header or footer? FYI, to help further (like to see if there were any errors in your page), folks would need a link to your site.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2012
    Pretty sure I am currently using the built in. The site is (KQGallery.com)
    Thanks

Are you using the built-in GA support (where you just past your code into Account Settings) or are did you put your own GA javascript into your header or footer? FYI, to help further (like to see if there were any errors in your page), folks would need a link to your site.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2012
    Pretty sure I am currently using the built in. The site is (KQGallery.com)
    Thanks
    Your site has the built in version of GA, but when I watch the network trace it is not being fired, even on pages like your homepage. This must be a Smugmug bug. In the network trace, I see quantserve firing, but not Google Analytics.

For any Smugmug bug finders, this is from the http://www.kqgallery.com/ page:
    SM.tracking = {
            ga: {
              smugmug: 'UA-33848058-1',
              user: 'UA-7319044-2',           // <==== This is user Google Analytics installed
              domain: 'kqgallery.com'
            },
            quantcast: {
              smugmug: 'p-33GsugQTR-pOM'
            },
            xgraph: {
                users:     '3D597',
                order:     '3D590',
                pro:       '3D594',
                portfolio: '3D836',
                power:     '3D595',
                standard:  '3D596',
                cart:      '3D599',
                awesomize: '3D600'
            }
          };

--John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2012
    Thanks John. I passed KQuinlan's issue along with your details on to our QA team to check into.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2012
    Seems to have started working again within the last few hours. Thanks!
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2012
    Seems to have started working again within the last few hours. Thanks!
    I'm glad to hear that. The issue was resolved yesterday. Let us know if there's still anything not working as expected.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero