Options

Lens - Nifty Fifty

BailiejoBailiejo Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
edited August 20, 2012 in Accessories
I was told this was a good lens to buy for portraits, closeups, indoors or outdoors. I'm on the B&H website and see two different 50mm lenses with a very different price. I'm just starting out with photography - Can someone advise me as to which lens I should purchase? I'm not planning on going into business with the camera - just a fun hobby. Also, I can't justify purchasing a Macro lens at this time, however, was told that Extension tubes maybe all I need. How do I know which extension tubes to buy. My camera is a Nikon D5100.

Thanks

AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Autofocus Lens
Fast f/1.4 Prime Nikkor Lens
Silent Wave Motor/Fast, Accurate AF
Ideal Portrait Lens on DX-format D-SLRs
Super Integrated Coating (SIC)
Close Focusing to 1.5' (0.5 m)
Normal Angle of View on FX-format D-SLRs
Weighs only 9.9 oz (280 g)
Only 2.1" (54.2mm) Long
B&H # NI5014GAF

AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Lens
Fast f/1.8 Compact FX-Format Prime Lens
Beautiful Background Blur (Bokeh)
Superior Color Consistency
Reduce Lens Flare and Ghosting
Effective Aberration Correction
Fast, Accurate and Quiet Autofocus
Quick Switching from AF to MF
Compatible With DX Format
B&H # NI5018GAF

Comments

• Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
    Someone more knowledgeable will chime in shortly. If you're not in it to make money, I would get the 1.8g model which is the cheaper one. Both are fantastic lenses, and both have great low light performance. The 1.4 will have better low light capabilities and shallower depth of field, if you use it at it's widest aperture. But unless you plan to shoot in really dark places, I don't see the justification in the cost difference. Some may have other thoughts on it though!
  • Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
    Not an expert in either lens, but I will say a fairly new photographer getting a 1.4 is like a 16 year old in a Ferrari. It will do things beyond your ability. I have the Canon 1.8 and the incredible effort to get the focal point in exactly the right spot wide open will surprise you. Getting the eyes in focus will leave the tip of the nose blurry. Even a slight angle to the camera means only one eye in focus. Many pics tossed every session to get one with focal point you intended.

Go for the 1.8 and get expert with it, then get the 1.4 if that is the look you enjoy.
  • Options
    williaeswilliaes Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
    I have the 1.4 and love it but like the others said, the 1.8 is a great lens. The difference of 1.4 to 1.8 will not justify a huge price difference. At 1.8 if someone has their head turned slightly one way or the other you will only get one eye in focus if you are not careful.
    2 Corinthians 9:15

williamspics.smugmug.com
  • Options
    BailiejoBailiejo Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    Bailiejo wrote: »
    I was told this was a good lens to buy for portraits, closeups, indoors or outdoors. I'm on the B&H website and see two different 50mm lenses with a very different price. I'm just starting out with photography - Can someone advise me as to which lens I should purchase? I'm not planning on going into business with the camera - just a fun hobby. Also, I can't justify purchasing a Macro lens at this time, however, was told that Extension tubes maybe all I need. How do I know which extension tubes to buy. My camera is a Nikon D5100.

Thanks

AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Autofocus Lens
    Fast f/1.4 Prime Nikkor Lens
    Silent Wave Motor/Fast, Accurate AF
    Ideal Portrait Lens on DX-format D-SLRs
    Super Integrated Coating (SIC)
    Close Focusing to 1.5' (0.5 m)
    Normal Angle of View on FX-format D-SLRs
    Weighs only 9.9 oz (280 g)
    Only 2.1" (54.2mm) Long
    B&H # NI5014GAF

AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Lens
    Fast f/1.8 Compact FX-Format Prime Lens
    Beautiful Background Blur (Bokeh)
    Superior Color Consistency
    Reduce Lens Flare and Ghosting
    Effective Aberration Correction
    Fast, Accurate and Quiet Autofocus
    Quick Switching from AF to MF
    Compatible With DX Format
    B&H # NI5018GAF

Thank you very much for your responses - I will purchase the 1.8 and I'm sure be very happy with it.
  • Options
    supermarvin76supermarvin76 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    Good choice. The being new to photography, the 1.8 is for sure what I would have recommended for you.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" -Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    I have a slightly different approach.. Eventually you may want the 1.4, then you should just get it instead..
    Stopped down, the two have similar performance though..
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    BTW, the nikon 50 1.8G is called the "Fantastic Five-Oh"
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2012
    The Nikon 50/1.8 is NOT impressive wide open or near wide open. At ALL. I don't even bother carrying it most of the time.
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2012
    Depends on which 50 1.8
    The 50mm 1.8G is very good wide open. The 50 1.8D sucked.
  • Options
    CloudOnMyTongueCloudOnMyTongue Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2012
    My first prime was a 1.8 and I think it's a great start to see if you like it. My cousin gave me his because he didn't like "zooming with his feet" I love the 50mm because it's so fast.
    After 4 years mine broke so I replaced it with a 1.4.

My advice is you don't need to spend the big money now.
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2012
    insanefred wrote: »
    Depends on which 50 1.8
    The 50mm 1.8G is very good wide open. The 50 1.8D sucked.

Good call. Mine is the "D". I can't remember if I bought it outright or if it came with one of my cameras. But I certainly don't recommend it.
  • Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2012
    I believe the D needs to have an AF motor in the camera to work too doesn't it? Where as the G is AF-S so it will work on the 5100 and 3100 models. I could be wrong on the first part about the D there. I know the 1.8G is the newer model though.