Options

Black Point

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited August 24, 2012 in People
Better Chuck?

DSC0726-Edit-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2012
    Love it. The first step in my processing is to raise the black point 10points for all files. Digital files seem very flat to me and I think raising the black point helps alot.

What really matters in the long run is do YOU like it.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2012
    Alex, this is a HUGE improvement. I think I mentioned when you first posted the ones from this session that they neeeded more pop on my monitor, and this has provided it. Gorgeous shot of two adorable girls :)
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2012
    Thanks guys.

I do like it more actually. At first, I kind of wanted that sun washed look. Guess that's the best way I could describe it but I do admit that setting the black point really added a lot of depth which make the photo much better.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2012
    Don't know what the black point discussion was but this is pretty close to perfect outdoor work.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2012
    Don't know what the black point discussion was but this is pretty close to perfect outdoor work.

Thank you sir. Basically, Diva and Chuck Master Charles suggested I lower the black point on this set of photos when I posted them. At first, I disagreed. I knew the black point was a bit off but I thought I wanted that flarie-fresh-summery look to this set but then I tried it and realized they were totally correcto!

My Smug Site
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Love it. The first step in my processing is to raise the black point 10points for all files. Digital files seem very flat to me and I think raising the black point helps alot.

I default to 15
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »

joshhuntnm wrote: »
    I default to 15

OK... both of you guys have me curious. You guys are talking about "points" to raise black point. Sounds like you guys are using a different method to do this than I do.
    1. I first create a Threshold adjustment layer in PS. I take the slider all the way to the left and then slowly move it to the right until I see the first part of my photo that shows up. This should be true black. I set the color sampler dropper tool to set a tick mark on this point.
    2. Then I slide all the way to the right and then slowly bring it back to the left until the whitest part of the photo is displayed. I set another tick mark with the color sampler dropper. This is my white point.
    3. I then discard the Threshold layer and create a Curves adjustment layer.
    4. I select the black point eye dropper in the curves adjustment window and click it on the first tick mark. I now have my black point set.
    5. I then take the white point eye dropper thingy and click it on the second tick mark. This is my white point.
    6. Done.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited August 22, 2012
    I didn't see the original, but man, that's a cracking good shot. I love your scientific method for setting black and white points, although I'm not that sophisticated. I just watch the histogram and clipping alerts and season to taste.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2012
    I raise the black point in the raw files and apply it to all files. If I want more during photoshop I go to levels and move the left slider to the right and at times even the mid slider to the right. Right now I'm using Capture 1 and or Lightroom for the conversions.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2012
    I do it like Hackbone.
    First I adjust in Lightroom, it defaults to +5 point which is usually about right.
    I usually adjust to whatever the histogram is telling me if there is room to the right or left in the histogram I adjust some version of brightness or blacks (there are a lot of different ways to do this in Lightroom).
    This is usually all I do.

For the few photos that I do additional work to in Elements I use the Levels Menu. I drag the arrow to the edge of the histogram on both sides (adjust to taste) Then I use the black and white (sometimes gray) eyedroppers to check color and done.

Either way I keep the histogram open and use it as my guide for every shot.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2012
    I'm the same - I start in LR, although I don't use a default. I just look at the histogram and drag the black slider up as needed.

Alex, I think for the summery/flare look you actually needed MORE flare than you have in this shot - you've got it as a beautiful rim light, but it seems to be partially blocked by your subjects. When you have more light hitting the lens and those resulting blobs/streaks, I think you get more what you're talking about.

I'll admit I've tried it a few times and always found it terribly difficult to achieve, so my hat is off to those esteemed wedding/lifestyle shooters who seem to nail it all the time!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2012
    I agree Diva. The flare shot is a tough one. I haven't really tried much to do it because every time I have, it's been a terrible failure. Here is one that is closer I think but still not enough flare. You can see one of the blobs above their head.

BTW, I hate that stupid tree trunk in the back. I guess I could clone it out but I'm not sure the shot is worth the effort.

DSC0737-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2012
    The first shot is gold. Perfect lighting, bravo. I sorta wish it wasn't cropped so tightly as I think Mom's eyes are a bit close to the top edge. The pacifier ruins the second shot for me, so I wouldn't bother cloning the tree unless they order a print.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.